The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Interesting timing on this question! I just got back on my horse this afternoon, for the first time in a month, due to a fall that broke 2 ribs! Like you, I was rehabbing my mare from an injury, she was Aced and trotting happily along when something (??) spooked her, she bolted, bucking like a tarpon on a line, and dumped me. I hemmed and hawed about getting a vest (am I really one of THOSE people??) but finally found one on consignment cheap enough that I figured I'd try it and see if it was something I would wear. I'm glad I did. It is kind of hot but once we got going today, I didn't think about it. I feel more secure, I know my trainer feels better for me and I doubt anyone will bat an eye.

1 members found this post helpful.

I always wear one when I jump and in lessons. I was one of the few in my lessons who wore one (it made my mom feel better) I personally think it makes a big difference when you come off.

I want one really badly. I have a perfectly sweet, gentle horse; but you just help that vulnerable feeling of fear. I feel naked up there (in the saddle). A vest would make me feel so much better. (I do plan to get one. Just trying to fit the expense in.)
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Thumbs up

RPP--if you are who I think you may be....I will definitely NOT laugh at you, and will beat up anyone who does. I probably could have used a vest myself during summer 2011! My shoulder and ribs still hurt sometimes.

"Where is the Love?"--Black Eyed Peas.

Please don't hate or discriminate. Chestnut Mares everywhere will thank you.

It never was even on my radar. I'd worn one once when I was test riding a pony horse at a racetrack and it was policy. It took just one "you ain't as young as you wuz" fall for me to go out and spend a goodly amount of money (for me) on a Tipperary.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

I wear one. I ride a range of horses and just leave it on. I don't "select" when I wear it, for example I don't just put it on for spooky/green horses or windy days, etc. IME the worst accidents occur when you are least expecting them so I just leave the thing on. We also work with race horses, and I require the riders I hire to wear both helmets and vests so that is partly how I got in the habit. I also had a nasty fall at one point and wearing a vest helped me recover my confidence. I often wear it to show in the jumpers but not the hunters. No one has ever said a single word to me about it but I've never asked anyone for their opinion either. If someone did say something negative about it, I'd just assume anyone who makes fun of safety equipment used for riding and handling unpredictable 1200lb animals to be an idiot. I think we are going to see more vests in the h/j world in the future, probably as soon as one of the fancy h/j brands realizes that the helmet market is saturated and needs something new to sell.

5 members found this post helpful.

I wear one! My horse is green and I'm out of shape and struggle with fear issues. It hugs me just enough to help me to feel safer and braver, which is what he needs!!

I wear mine unless it's insanely hot and I'm just doing a quick flat ride......which is maybe three times in the two years I've had it. I have a very trustworthy horse, but even he has a pretty nasty spook-and-spin move. I feel a little odd when I ride without it. And now that my horse in on career #3 as a cattle horse, I can't see myself riding without it any time soon.

Plus it is the best sports bra ever!

I don't but I am looking into getting one soon. I ride at a mostly eventer stable so I would fit right in and no one would even question me (except maybe my fellow h/j barnees.)

I wear a Tipperary. The ride lite is very affordable and comfortable. I had a horse collapse under me several years ago, and if I had not had a vest on, my injuries would have been much worse since he rolled on me. The only injury I got was a shattered collarbone, but there is no way to protect that
    like other posters, it does help me to be more relaxed since I feel 'protected'.
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Wow, thanks all! I will wear it proudly when I finally ride again on Friday!

" If someone did say something negative about it, I'd just assume anyone who makes fun of safety equipment used for riding and handling unpredictable 1200lb animals to be an idiot."- BeeHoney, I LOVE this. Yes, yes.

"It hugs me just enough to help me to feel safer and braver, which is what he needs!!"- OneGray, this is great, and what I'm hoping for! I'm pretty sure the last spook/fall we had was due to me being anxious about the spot where the first spook/fall happened..so poor horse assumed there was something to be scared of, and was, and off I went. I'm hoping the vest will give me added confidence!
    Last edited by RolyPolyPony; Apr. 10, 2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: always forget that html tags don't work!

I have a Casel Equi vest. Wear it every ride. I usually throw a light weight vest (from walmart) over it too, more for pockets than anything else. I absolutely LOVE this best. Best $$ I ever spent. Helped me through nervous times, helping me be more confident knowing if I fell, I would have cushion for the fall. Have had it 4 yrs now and when it's sweaty, it comes in the shower to be cleaned and it is ready to go the next day. Yes it is hot in the summer but I don't care....sweat = weight loss :-) I put a light weight vented polo on under it, and we are good.

Try some on and see what fits you best though. I got mine at Equine Affair and had it adjusted every time since, thru the company and they have been most accommodating too.

Those of you who ride with a vest, which brand do you recommend? I am considering one as well. Thanks RPP for starting this

I never understood the whole thing where people laugh at the ones in helmets and vests. What's their argument? Haha you want to be safe?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    One good fall last Fall, one at least well-dented rib, having had the experience of being afraid to sneeze for the piss-yourself-pain it caused, I have a vest now. Hacking out in a vest.
    Ditto. I've been wearing one for every ride. However, I'm coming up on my first summer and am really concerned because I'm not sure I'm going to make it through a lesson, where I'm really working, without getting heat stroke.

Temperature concerns aside, I love my vest (Airowear Outlyne) and I swear it fits me better every time I put it on. It's much less cumbersome than I feared it would be and far more comfortable than I expected. The additional confidence it gives me is wonderful, as I'm another one who mostly rides alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoredHares View Post
    I wear a Tipperary. The ride lite is very affordable and comfortable. I had a horse collapse under me several years ago, and if I had not had a vest on, my injuries would have been much worse since he rolled on me. The only injury I got was a shattered collarbone, but there is no way to protect that
    like other posters, it does help me to be more relaxed since I feel 'protected'.
    Thanks for the report on the Ride Lite. Because of my above mentioned fears about giving myself heat stroke this summer in my Outlyne, I have looked at the Ride Lite thinking that it might be cooler, but I was concerned about it maybe being too "lite." Based on your experience, it sounds like it is effective in spite of being lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by PletchersMom View Post
    I have a Casel Equi vest. ...

Try some on and see what fits you best though. I got mine at Equine Affair and had it adjusted every time since, thru the company and they have been most accommodating too.
    Does the company have a website or any contact info, anywhere? I've been looking for one of these vests and because I'm a strange size, I'd like to talk directly to the company first.

How is a Casel Equi in the heat?

I have an Airowear but it has turned out to not be a comfortable option for me.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Dubarry, there are lots of good brands, most of which meet the ATSM safety standards. Make sure any vest you are interested in does. You will need to decide if you want just a regular vest or if you want to supplement it with a air-canister type--supposedly safer, but very expensive.

The brands fit differently and offer different options. The Aerowear Outlyne is designed for women, but I am very flat-chested and short, so I went with the Racesafe that I could get in an extra-small and extra-short version. I have to admit I like the fact that jockeys wear this one. Other popular vests are made by Tipperary, Rodney Powell, Charles Owen, and others. Ideally, you can visit a shop with several brands and try them on. Note that a lot of them have options like an extended back to cover the tailbone or extended shoulder pads. Some come in colors. (I chose basic black.)

I recommend doing a forum search. There are many threads about safety vests, especially on the eventing forum.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

When I was taking lessons a few years ago I did. When I was younger I did not. Since getting older and being on blood thinners, I try to minimize the chance of injury. I plan on getting back to doing some low level jumping this year and will probably put the vest on for that even though my mare is been there done that. Adding that just this week one of the boarders took her kind of been there done that gelding out for a ride around the farm and went on a trail she hadn't tried before. Lovely grassy area between a pasture and a wooded boundary of the property. There is a house on the other side of the trees. The been there done that horse spooked at some dogs barking and spun and flung her to the ground and she fractured her back.

I don't think you meant me Dewey I already wear a vest. I just don't understand why anyone would make fun of someone in a vest or helmet.