The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ration Balancer

Does anyone know of a corn-free ration balancer? My horse is on a whole grain diet primarily based on oats (due to his corn allergy) and is getting too fat on the minimum necessary amounts to get him all the nutrition he needs. As he gets older, I'm also concerned about the extra sugar. He's in pretty heavy work, so I can't skip the protein, but need to get it with as few extra calories as possible. Any help?

Poulin MVP.

Are "Distillers Grains" corn?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Look at Tribute's Essential K if you can get it where you are.

joiedevie99 is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks! I will check out both of those products. Here is what our regular guy has: Southern States, Cavalor, Genesis Organic Horse Feed, Blue Seal, Buckeye, Poulin, Green Mountain Organic Feed, Pennfield, Purina, Nutrena, Myristol, Nature's Best Organic Feed, CoolStance, Well Horse Equine Organics, Standlee Hay

Why don't you just feed a daily vitamin supplement and then add whatever feed/grain you want. You can choose to feed a handful or oats or beet pulp or alfalfa pellets (or whatever) and then you won't have the added calories.

Most RBs don't have actual grains, though several have distillers grains, either listed as the specific grain, or just "distillers grains".

Most of those feeds you listed list ingredients, so you can start by looking at their websites.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cavalor Fifty-Fifty (their RB) has both puffed corn & grits.

Is the ration balancer for a grain based diet? If so you could try switching to a hay based diet, and ration balancer. Purena Enrich 32+hay+pasture.

Ration balancers are for horses who either can't have significant calories, or whose owners don't want to feed regular commercial feeds in order to have more control over ingredients, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "is it for a grain-based diet"

The variations in the protein level are based on protein content of the forage, so Enrich 12 would be for the forage higher in protein (which usually means higher in alfalfa, but grass hay could test high), and the E32 would be for forage lower in protein (nearly always grass, but I suppose an alf batch could test low enough).

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Are "Distillers Grains" corn?
    It may vary, but the majority of Distillers Grains will be corn- byproducts of ethanol production. At this point, they're way lower in starch than if "corn" were to be included as an ingredient, but for a horse with a "corn allergy", the OP may still want to be careful, depending on what part of the corn the horse is actually allergic to.

joiedevie99 is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks! Vet is not comfortable with corn by-products. Per FeedXL and my vet, he needs more vitamins/minerals and protein than he gets from hay alone.

I've googled all the recommendations and the things I can get, and here's what I've found:

Cavalor Fifty-Fifty is out as it contains corn. Purina Enrich 32, Poulin MVP, Triple Crown 30 and Buckeye Gro n Win contain grain by-products that may have corn in them. Southern States doesn't appear to make a ration balancer. I can't find ingredients online for Blue Seal Sunshine Plus or Empower Balance. Does anyone happen to know either answer?

The only one so far that appears corn-free so far is Pennfield Ultra Balancer? Has anyone used it?

How about just a vit/min supplement and some alfalfa pellets? That will provide protein and vit/mins.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-an...h_Sunshine.pdf

The PDF is off of Blue Seal's site. Ingredients are under the Analysis.

I feed it and love it, but doesn't look like it will suit your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    How about just a vit/min supplement and some alfalfa pellets? That will provide protein and vit/mins.
    This. If he doesn't need the calories from the RB (and there are quite a few) then just get him on a good vitamin supplement and some alfalfa.

joiedevie, I would also look for something with a fixed formula. Just because something might now have corn when you first buy it doesn't mean it won't the next time.