The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse owners struggle to find hay

Okay, I'm confused. I thought Carol Darnell, then of AHA fame with 40 years horse experience, had ended hay shortages with her giant haybank enterprise last year? Did that project crash and burn?

http://www.midweeknews.com/articles/...103c/index.xml

Just searched for the website for that haybank, but can't find it.

What's your deal? Do you just post on COTH in order to bash others? It's getting old and tired.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

15 members found this post helpful.

Bash others? What are you talking about? I was surprised by the article which indicated that some are having trouble sourcing hay. The last I knew, a woman in Oklahoma had started a haybank and network which connected hay farms, truckers and horseowners. I think it encompassed about 15 states. Now I can't find it or its website where you could arrange for deliveries, etc.

I've been reading up on ABN. So, yes, bashing others.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    Just searched for the website for that haybank, but can't find it.
    I got a GoDaddy ad page.

There are a bunch of local "hay bank" links that I didn't follow. The big effort appears to have ended.

G.

P.S. I thought the question was fair; somebody needs to thicken their skin.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post

P.S. I thought the question was fair; somebody needs to thicken their skin.
    Absolutely...until you find out what Leo and his group did to Carol Darnell. To name her specifically as the OP did here, what is the intent in that?

7arabians? Be a grown up and put your name on bullsh*t stuff like this. Without specifics, and with you hiding behind an anonymous username, you are nothing but a cyber bully.

Put up or shut up.
    Sheilah

8 members found this post helpful.

Found the link, but it looks like it petered-out in 2011. Sounds like they should start it back up again?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horse...26328424123464

OP seems to have a lot of hate and anger towards anyone and everyone in the horse world. Maybe he should be an investigative reporter somewhere?

So tell us, OP, what do you dislike about this person? And do you try to help out horses and horse people at all? Besides Leo, of course.

9 members found this post helpful.

Not many saying they CAN'T find hay, but just that it is expensive on into REALLY expensive.

So maybe the need for the haybank is not there anymore, got discontinued.

4 members found this post helpful.

Found the link, but it looks like it petered-out in 2011. Sounds like they should start it back up again?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horse...26328424123464
    Yep, a little hard to get something going when people seemed to misunderstand the difference between a hay cooperative and a hay bank. Seems most people were more interested in throwing turd bombs and less interested in putting their money where their mouth was. Many people lost interest when they learned free hay wasn't in the cards with a cooperative.

And also keep in mind that at that point in time Carol was fighting to salvage her reputation from the uncalled for attacks against it by certain people. You know, the ones who accused her of being in the pay of HSUS during the Canterbury mess. What happened to her was wrong.

So easy to understand why she wasn't single-handedly able to get something like that up and totally running, given the circumstances.
    Sheilah
    Last edited by IdahoRider; Apr. 9, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: I like to put my actual name on what I post, unlike some chickenshits who hide behind a username.

So instead of whining online about a subject that does not concern you directly but that you still seem concerned about:

Put up or shaddup.

At least she tried a hay bank. So you do it. Do it better. Try doing it at all.

Preteen-ish online BB bombarding and sniping is ridiculous. Bounce to a new one and peddle the middle school drama there.

We *all* get it...you and Leo don't like Carol. No need to pass us a note in math class reiterating that.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

12 members found this post helpful.

well. by it's very conception "hay bank" would fail...
    unlike an actual emergency bank of something vital and rare, like say colostrum from mares,hay is a readily available commodity....

so to get a bunch of people to all buy a little and share for the common good was not really going to happen as invariably someone takes advantage of someone else....

but I do agree that Mr Leo has made this another pointed nasty attack...so that flag you see on your post will be mine......

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Bash others? What are you talking about? I was surprised by the article which indicated that some are having trouble sourcing hay. .
    were you asleep thru most of the drought that hit 38 hay and grain producing states last summer? helpful hint....where corn dies so did the hay and much quicker

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

14 members found this post helpful.

I don't understand why you want to bring a person down. Are they a public servant or do they own you something somehow? Where is the *scandal* because I'm not getting it. Did someone rob the haybank?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    were you asleep thru most of the drought that hit 38 hay and grain producing states last summer? helpful hint....where corn dies so did the hay and much quicker
    Tamara
    No, our friend Becky was not asleep through most of the drought. She is once again acting on her grudge against Carol Darnell. It has nothing to do with voicing any real interest in what happened, which is why she names Carol specifically. Carol had the nerve to tell Leo Maxwell to go pound nails and that caused his little harem to get all pissy.

He started posting allegations about Carol every where he could, intimating that she was in the pay of HSUS and helping them in their dastardly plot to steal Marsha Parkinson's horses and land from her. Carol headed a subcommittee on rescue and rehoming Arabians at the time, under the AHA. After Leo was done with her, she wasn't any more. It seems his championing of little old ladies only extends to those that are rich, like Martha. Because he really did a number on Carol, who didn't have jack. Kind of like asking someone to prove when they stopped beating their spouse, you know? Hard to prove when you stopped if you never did to begin with.

Leo did that with others, of course. Such as Dan Wood. But it seems like Leo really has a flair for taking out after the ladies. Dan pushed back because he was able to and Leo backed off. Carol wasn't and 40 years of hard work to get the Arabian horse community to acknowledge the need for a comprehensive breed-wide response to a serious problem went down the tubes.

So to have 7arabians make this kind of post is just one more instance of this small group going after someone for sport. Amazing what little lives these people live, if this is how they spend their time.
    Sheilah

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Yep, a little hard to get something going when people seemed to misunderstand the difference between a hay cooperative and a hay bank. Seems most people were more interested in throwing turd bombs and less interested in putting their money where their mouth was. Many people lost interest when they learned free hay wasn't in the cards with a cooperative.

Carol WAS the problem. I made several points. Get in place truckers...see what deals you can work out with them. Fine producers who will discount and load for you AND GET THE MONEY UP FRONT.

She didn't

She started to blame me when I told her a co-op IS different from a bank she obviously didn't know that) and I told her with the co-op the members would not get free hay...but they would have a supply at a set price.

Carol then stated that due to my negative attitude (like I have that much power...you above all say on COTH that I have NO power to influence people) resulted in the collapse of the co-op. I expect all those youngsters who said Count me In...were like the one who was truly surprised...WHAT!!!! I thought this was going to be FREE HAY DELIVERED to me.

I made a comment to address that by stating they should find centralized places secure and weather protected where individuals could come and pick up but they would actually have to put the money into the pot UP FRONT..
    Carol didn't have any money (nor should she have had to for this project)

And also keep in mind that at that point in time Carol was fighting to salvage her reputation from the uncalled for attacks against it by certain people. You know, the ones who accused her of being in the pay of HSUS during the Canterbury mess. What happened to her was wrong.

So easy to understand why she wasn't single-handedly able to get something like that up and totally running, given the circumstances.
    Sheilah
    We have a confirmation from a director that she bragged to him that she was working on a project that would SHOCK the Arabian Horse world. Meanwhile, she stated very clearly she was working with DEFHR and Ms Varny (her buddy who she got a donation from AHA to present to )

She was also involved with a group who never bothered to call and offer help but were devising plans as to how they could sneak onto the property and TAG the horses.

She also wrote on ABN...AS I TYPE THE LARGEST SEIZURE FOR ARABIAN HORSES IS IN PROGRESS. I AM TOO TIRED TO GIVE ANY DETAILS AS I HAVE SO MUCH WORK TO DO FOR DEFHR.

Then..when confronted..she changed her mantra to " I am trying to make it possible for Arabian Horse breeders to TRUST the foundation and to TRUST ME and we will try and help them with alternatives.

YEAH.. RIGHT...TRUST? She blew that a long time ago...when she had friends take her horses (this was a good thing) when she couldn't keep them and celebrated by going to the World Famous Scottsdale Show.

Priorities?

Read the post I made from an unidenfied source that states the rising price of slaughter horses is bad for new people to acquire and upgrade.

Sheilah.. you were VERY QUIET over that one especially when people came out and said...is this person nuts?

Well, folks...Thats Carol

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    No, our friend Becky was not asleep through most of the drought. She is once again acting on her grudge against Carol Darnell. It has nothing to do with voicing any real interest in what happened, which is why she names Carol specifically. Carol had the nerve to tell Leo Maxwell to go pound nails and that caused his little harem to get all pissy.

He started posting allegations about Carol every where he could, intimating that she was in the pay of HSUS and helping them in their dastardly plot to steal Marsha Parkinson's horses and land from her. Carol headed a subcommittee on rescue and rehoming Arabians at the time, under the AHA. After Leo was done with her, she wasn't any more. It seems his championing of little old ladies only extends to those that are rich, like Martha. Because he really did a number on Carol, who didn't have jack. Kind of like asking someone to prove when they stopped beating their spouse, you know? Hard to prove when you stopped if you never did to begin with.

Leo did that with others, of course. Such as Dan Wood. But it seems like Leo really has a flair for taking out after the ladies. Dan pushed back because he was able to and Leo backed off. Carol wasn't and 40 years of hard work to get the Arabian horse community to acknowledge the need for a comprehensive breed-wide response to a serious problem went down the tubes.

So to have 7arabians make this kind of post is just one more instance of this small group going after someone for sport. Amazing what little lives these people live, if this is how they spend their time.
    Sheilah
    Didn't know Marsha before but I did know Carol as we had corresponded civily for years on Black Horse and White Horse.

Didn't have any impact on Dans life. He learned that when you sleep with pigs and hang out with snakes you will stink and people will fear your bite. He lied..and tried to say he was support the breeder and you tried to defend him. You make it sound like I was the only one with this incredible ability. NOPE...as for defending rich old ladies...Robin Vess was neither rich nor old...

I would also like to state that I put in print that the head of the BOD for that sub committee should be held responsibile. That lady stated for ALL TO READ that Carol filed a FALSE REPORT. and as I am not a member of AHA I had no power and no ears to influence anyone.

The BOD started to look at the committee and realized it was running amok and was not accountable to anyone. Carol had her supporters and if they could not keep her in that position of power she was not supposed to have in the first place...than they did the right thing.

Why am I saying this yet again...because Sheilah takes joy in posting it meanwhile claiming she is defending her friend...but she isn't....

Leo, until you post proof of your accusations, you are just a cyber bully picking on a 60-something year old woman.
    Sheilah

Leo, I take great joy in letting the world know you for the cyber bully you are. If Carol serves you with legal notice, as so many other people who you have defamed on the internet have done, will you and your little fan club leave her alone then?

Post some proof, big boy. Until then you are nothing but a cyber bully giving a 69 year old woman grief as a hobby.
    Sheilah
    Last edited by IdahoRider; Apr. 9, 2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: wanted to correctly identify her age.

7 members found this post helpful.