The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmet that fits like CO AYR8 but cooler, lighter?

I am posting here because I feel like eventers are not as concerned with “looks” and what is “in” as some other boards I have a CO AYR8 that I like, but it’s at the 5 year mark, so am looking into something to replace it. It fits well (size 7 3/8-I have a big oval head) but it’s warm and kinda heavy. I have quit jumping/xc/etc and now only trail ride, but still want to protect my noggin! I don’t really care how it looks, but want something that gets better ventilation than the CO and would love something lighter too. I don’t love adjustable as my ponytail/long hair gets hung up in the dials sometimes, but will certainly consider one! Prefer something under $200, and low-profile is a huge plus and big head + high profile = mushroom head! LOL! I like a helmet that sits down as I like to feel it protects the base of my head as well. Hope this makes sense, any options are appreciated!

I school at home in a Tipperary Sportage and I love it. It is not bulky at all but I feel like it covers more of my head than many other helmets. It also is extremely cool in the summer because of all the vents. They retail for around $70 too, so not hard on your wallet! http://www.smartpakequine.com/tipper...x?cm_vc=Search

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, do you have a round or oval head

Quote Originally Posted by Eilsel View Post
    I school at home in a Tipperary Sportage and I love it. It is not bulky at all but I feel like it covers more of my head than many other helmets. It also is extremely cool in the summer because of all the vents. They retail for around $70 too, so not hard on your wallet! http://www.smartpakequine.com/tipper...x?cm_vc=Search
    I second this - I just bought my second one. I wear a JR8 for shows but find it waaaay too hot (and too pricey for replacement when I fall while schooling!). I have a tall oval head and the Sportage fits me wonderfully, though I have to buy it like 2 sizes smaller than I'd expect! My head measures 7 1/8, I wear a 7 in CO, and an XS in the Sportage!

I'm not sure what shape head I have as I haven't really been helmet shopping in so long! I do know the Tipperary comes with lots of extra padding so you can "customize" it to an extent. My helmet size is a 7 3/8 and I wear a large Tipperary.

I like the AYR8, and I really like my Ovation Z8. They fit very similarly but I like that the Ovation comes with more vents and the dial fit so if I want to take my hair down I can tighten up the helmet.

I show in an AYR8 and school in a tipperary they fit very similarly but the tipperary is much better ventilated. Actually, in the summer I go XC in my tipperary as well

Thanks all! I think I will try the Tipp! What size should I get if I wear a 7/14 or 7 3/8 AYR8? I can't remember which size I have! Lol! Not running to barn in my pjs!

I wear a size 7 AYR8 for shows and school in a medium Tipperary Sportage, even though 7 is officially part of the "large" size range for Tipperary. So you will probably wear a large Tipperary.

I find the Tipperary Sportage to fit more round than oval. I have one and it's tight on my forehead and back of my head, but not much contact on the sides. I need to get a new helmet that fits me better. I do love how ventilated the sportage is though.

I have the ovation schooling helmet right now
    http://www.ovationriding.com/helmets...-helmet-467566

and I have been pretty pleased with it. I have a medium; I am a 7 in Charles Owen.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Darn, the Tipp isn't oval enough :-( can stick my whole hand in the sides and tight front to back! Other lightweight cool options without a dial?

I have the ovation, and have never had an issue with my hair getting stuck in the dial. I had an IRH which was a dial-hair nightmare. The Ovation has a foam backing on the dial, it works well to keep your hair out of it. Very light, very cool, very affordable. I have an oval head and love the fit. I wear a 7 1/8, but I fit nicely in the Small.
    If forwards doesn't work, go sideways!