The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry regumate dispenser

I tried a search but didn't come up with much... Having a lot of problems with the tubing that came with the dispensing gun- cracking and leaking everywhere
    Other than going back to the syringe method does anyone have suggestions or a better way to protect feeders from the regumate and easily/accurately dispense the stuff??

My old barn used a hard plastic reuseble syringe. That's all I've got for help

The oiliness of the regumate breaks down the plastics and rubber parts. Hard stuff to deal with.

There is more than one dispenser available for ReguMate, I believe. The plastic one is beyond useless. I think there is still a metal one available; it is worth looking around.
    I wonder if this other type of dispenser would do the job: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...c-f48c70c336c1

Also, if you buy 10 mL syringes by the box they are pretty cheap, if you end up staying with that method.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Use luer lock syringes. The top of the Regumate bottle is designed to let you screw them on. You do need to get a box full because you'll probably go through about one a week. But, hey, they're cheap compared to the Regumate.

(So glad my vet talked me into switching to Depo-Provera.)

Can you take tube that is left to Home Depot type store? Plumbing dept. should have compatable tubing to replace it.

Default Double neck bottle

They use on of those double neck bottles that liquid suplements sometimes come in. They washed it out and they put the regumate in it. They've been using the same bottle for years!
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was using it, I'd pour it into a much smaller bottle (like an opaque medication bottle), which is easier to handle. Then I could measure by pouring it into a measuring cup and mixing with feed. (Women should wear gloves while handling it.) Agree, what comes with the product is hopeless.

We always use a syringe, which has to be replaced frequently as the rubber gasket goes, but it's accurate and with care, neat. Gloves are a must!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IndysMom View Post
    They use on of those double neck bottles that liquid suplements sometimes come in. They washed it out and they put the regumate in it. They've been using the same bottle for years!
    oooh - this is a great idea! I found some cheap empties online, I am willing to try it and see if it is better than the syringe method.

otherwise I will buy a big box of syringes and just do syringe method.

Thanks for the replies!!

1 members found this post helpful.