The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Concerned Should I Be?

Question about Placentitis

I recently leased a very nice Hanoverian broodmare. I love everything about this mare, big mare with great build, super sweet personality, great conformation, nice mover. Her first two foals where born with no problems, on her third foal she developed placentitis and lost the foal. She was then cleaned out completely and checked over by the vet just to make sure everything was good to go. The previous breeder bred her the following year and kept her under intense observation, the foal was born healthy with no problems.

I plan on breeding her this year but want to know how concerned I should be with her developing placentitis again. After reading about it on COTH I am now having nightmares about a bad outcome!!. I have an awesome repo vet to help me as she progresses, and I plan on her foaling out at the vets clinic to be on the safe side.

TYIA

Part of breeding is being concerned about EVERYTHING the entire pregnancy! I lost one foal to placentitis and the mare delivered three foals since then without issue. I do caslicks just to make me feel better.

Thanks! I have raised a few foals from weanlings but this is my first time breeding for a personal horse. So excited and nervous at the same time.

Mares can have an incidence of placentitis and never have the problem again. If the placentitis was caused by a poor reproductive conformation, a Caslicks is definitely in order. I would be observant and careful, but not worry in advance.