The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default herd dynamics change? or is something afoot physically?

The "Other Woman"(20ies QH mare) is acting ... odd... and I can't put my finger on it. We added a new pony gelding to our "collection" who when she first met him she tried to kill him. Now after a couple months of being turned out across a fence line we re introduced them and after she bit his rump a few times has accepted him into the herd.

(this has been a week or so since they have been turned out together) it seems like every time I turn around she is laying down napping. No signs of distress, but she has been laying down A Lot. She does have a pre existing murmur that I'm wondering if it doesn't need to be examined, or is she just catching up on sleep now that she has a gelding to "watch over her" The Other Woman stands guard when Mir and the new gelding nap, and he stands guard for the Other Woman when she naps. It's been 9 months since the Old Man passed away

is this a keep an eye on it and see how it goes? or is this a get the vet out now... I'm really not sure.

Coth Wisdom?
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Horse with a heart murmur laying down more than usual? I'd probably call the vet. Any edema of stocking up? Respiratory rate normal? Mucus membrane color? Capillary refill time? How's her exercise tolerance? Any coughing? Temp?
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

no stocking up, resp rate is normal, cap refill is fine, membranes are normal color, she gallops around the field with my TB just fine- no cough, no temp. No OBVIOUS signs that anything is wrong, just laying down more than I've seen her do since the Old Man passed away.
    The murmur has never been an issue... as of yet, but she (thinking about it) 23 this year.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.