The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Our pony went to preschool!

I'm pretty sure my DD won show and tell for the year. We took her pony to school yesterday and the kids loved it!! And pony was amazing!
    Please ignore my horrible clip job. Getting through a cushingoid coat is no small feat. Took me all weekend (and lots of allergy medication) to get that far!
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...psfb61029e.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...ps839447d0.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...ps428be3e7.jpg

Goodness TOO CUTE!! As a kid I would have LOVED if someone brought a pony to school! What a neat idea

Awesome!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

So cute!

Wonderful pony!

Even as old as I am, I am jealous!

I bet that made all the kids there the best day ever.

1 members found this post helpful.

I brought my Trakehner to my daughter's school for show and tell one year. I think she was in second or third grade. She's now in high school and there are kids who still talk about it.

After that year the school got a new principal and he banned animals . The kids loved it and my horse was very, very good with them.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thanks everyone, this pony is awesome. She is my heart pony, even though she's my DD's. She doesn't really like me, since I'm the one who does terrible things to her (clipping, vaccinations, meds) but I still adore her simply because she loves my DD so much, and their bond is so sweet.

Bogie- that stinks that you can't do that anymore! I hope that is not the case for our school system, because given the opportunity, I'd bring her again!

I love it! Don't worry about the clip job, to most of the kids the fact that is was a real live PONY probably made her seem magically gorgeous!

My mom's QH has been the "field trip" for my cousin's preschool (next door) before and is always a hit. I wish I had the picture of him surrounded by 4 year olds.

In high school, we used to have FFA Food For America farm education day where FFA members brought in animals and equipment for the elementary kids to come visit. Fun way to escape class every April! Get to spend all day with my horse and still get credit for being at school? Yes, please!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

What a cute pony! I think kids miss out on so much when schools ban animals at special events.

Took my daughter's Paint gelding to a "bigger and better" party, where everyone starts out with a penny and you have an hour to trade up for bigger and better things, then everyone comes back to base and the one with the biggest or best wins. I got second place. The winner brought in the center for the local university's basketball team, all 6'7" of him...but even he wanted to have his picture taken with our horse!

1 members found this post helpful.

That is awesome! I'll bet the kids were thrilled! Does your daughter go to school in a rural area or more suburban?

We have done that for the kids at our son's preschool several times. It's a suburban area with lots of military kids. It's a drive but the preschool is much better than the local ones. I brought our horse and our son's pony. I also brought our tack and helmets last time for them to see. I used a portable corral to let the kids come up to the animals. No liability insurance for rides, but they enjoyed petting and seeing the tack anyway.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

That's so cool, micro!
    We are in a suburban area, neighborhoods and sidewalks. So when pony pooped on the sidewalk, I had to clean it up extra-well. Don't want to freak out the power walking soccer moms in their running outfits.

3 members found this post helpful.

I love this! Maybe this will help foster the love of horses in some little kid...how cool would that be?

About 30 years ago, my big sister trailered in her gorgeous AQHA mare by Skip's Brick into town for my show and tell. I was known as the kid with horses, not just in my class, but throughout school. (We were a very small school system back in Iowa.) Every now and then, former classmates will say to me, "Remember when your sister brought the horse for show and tell?"
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    That's so cool, micro!
    We are in a suburban area, neighborhoods and sidewalks. So when pony pooped on the sidewalk, I had to clean it up extra-well. Don't want to freak out the power walking soccer moms in their running outfits.
    LOL!
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Our oldest daughter had her Morgan mare at school so often the principal want to give the mare a diploma when my daughter graduated

These are a few photos when the mare was used as prop for a book report

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ayatschool.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...lastscan-6.jpg

she would ride her mare to the grade school ponying another mare to pickup her sister

How awesome!!!!!

When I was a junior in high school we trailered my guy in for my animal science section on horses. Of course, he was an idiot, but I have to admit, my horse looked much better on the football field (one of the few green, grassy spaces) than anyone on our football team
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Very cool! I'm loving all these horse school stories.

Loved the pony pictures, OP Bet your DD loved having her pony at school! I also loved the pix of the Morgan, and how cool to pony your sister's horse to school.
    My son's pony came to school when he was in first grade for animal day. She stood preening on the school's grass field and let everyone adore her. She was a good girl when all the kids were around her, but after they went back to the classroom and we tried to load her onto the trailer, she decided to display all her Chestnut Pony Mare behaviors and Would.Not. Load. I was starting to get a Very. Bad. Feeling. about all of it, but then the second grade teacher came up and very cheerfully told us that we needed to get the pony off the field pretty soon because recess was going to start and in just a few moments, all h3ll was going to break loose as a bunch of primary grade kids poured onto the field. Miss Naughty Pony evidently understood that would be a problem and promptly moved her dainty little hooves onto the ramp and loaded. Whew.
    Last edited by Happyhooves; Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: tinkering with grammar

Awww... I really want to take my son's pony for his pre-school show and tell, but I don't have a trailer... we've already had H (horse), L (for Lu Lu) , P (Pony)... and we're almost to W (Welsh) Oh well... he did bring his dog for D ;-)

Those kids will remember the horse/pony visits for years to come!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Oh, that pony is such a cutie! My SIL and I took her pony to her sons' daycare a couple of times, too. So adorable and those ponies just seem to "know" don't they? I always eye the lower field at our school (I'm a teacher) and think it would make a great pasture..or jumping field. Kids need more contact with large animals so that they don't think horses are scary and meat comes from stores.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Squeeee!! That would've made my life when I was in elementary school. I never got to bring the ponies to school because I lived in wealthy, island suburbia and we didn't have a trailer. We did get to field trip to my barn one time. That was pretty awesome
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate