The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grounded, help me fill the time!

So, I was informed today that I need to take a month to 6 weeks off from riding for a nagging back issue. Basically, I was told that I can rest for a bit and probably be (mostly) fine, or continue to have flare-ups if I ignore said recommendation. Being the reasonable adult that I am, I pouted about it but agreed to a hiatus. But the question remains: Now what do I do? There's the obvious, of course (ground work, cleaning tack, etc.), but I want some really good ideas. Surely there are COTHers with some wicked awesome time-passing plans... One thing I did decide on, while looking at a missing horse post, was to take detailed photos of all the horses, tack and equipment for insurance/theft/natural disaster/zombie apocalypse purposes. You know, the kind of thing I should have done forever ago, but never had time for - now I do, so it's getting done. All suggestions welcome!

Probably not what you are wanting and are probably doing them already but are you able/allowed to do any physical therapy or exercises to strengthen your back?

Read /watch Dvd of all your top favourite trainers you have been meaning to do for ages.

P.

1 members found this post helpful.

Walk, walk, walk!

GiddyUpFlix queue re-ordered and DVDs out at a time increased!

Yep, have a physical therapist all lined up - we are also going to be doing core-strengthening exercises as tolerated, so that should be a good bonus once I'm back in the saddle. I was also told to stop running for now as well, so I'll be walking too.

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

Take up Tai Chi :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Get some NH videos and do all that rope twirling.
    Those are mostly ground work for several of them, before anyone has to get on a horse and they are fun.

The old ones of TTouch from Linda Tellington, with the grids and such, are also fun ground work.

Take up clicker training, but much, much easier if you can find someone to show you how, so you don't become a treat dispenser only.
    You have to learn the theory behind it, so as to phase treats out after they do their thing.

One good thing, you will have the best groomed horse and cleanest tack around.

Find some clinics in areas you want to learn more about and audit them.

Volunteer! There is always a horse trial or a show that needs extra arms and legs!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Play Red Dead Redemption. It got pretty horses in it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

See, I knew you guys were awesome! All great suggestions, although I don't have the first clue what this Red Dead Redemption is...? Per Bluey's suggestion, I will perfect my rope-twirling and carrot-stick wiggling - perhaps if I am truly motivated, I will be able to go on tour when I'm healed! Newest NH guru, right here.

I was recently laid up due to an injury and couldn't manage any high impact/high energy activities. I discovered the Wii Fit balance games. They're great. No abrupt movements, no straining, no deep bending, just gentle leaning and balancing. And, I figured improving my balance had to be good for my riding. Plus, they're kind of fun. I kick butt at tightrope walking. Heading soccer balls? Not so much. And I still haven't managed to get that %$#&* bubble all the way down the river.

Once you get the go ahead from your PT person and your Doc... PILATES!!! I have had two back surgeries and I still have a slightly herniated disk at L4/L5 and between pilates and actually my riding (which seems to release my hips and take strain off my back), I am about 90% pain free.

I wish you the best at fixing things. DO WHAT THEY SAY!! You will be back and can be stronger than ever - its all about your core and your back :-)

In the meantime... I love your idea about your pics / disaster planning. I live in California and have been wondering what our barns earthquake plan in sine the barn is just about on top of a nice fault line... good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyMolly View Post
    I don't have the first clue what this Red Dead Redemption is...?
    Video game with really cool looking horses.

oh, and bad guys to shoot, but that's optional!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Does your horse know halter/showmanship? In-hand trail? Also just taking the horse for walks on trail, down the road, etc, can be fun and also good for making a timid horse braver.

Maybe learn how to do a few horse accupressure/massage techniques?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Groundwork, groundwork and more groundwork. Once I got past the balking at the thought of being bored, I found some really cool exercises that really improved my horses once I was back on them. Look around for new things you haven't tried with them before, inhand patterns, grounddriving, all sorts of stuff.

You could create an organized medical file for your horse with a log of all vaccinations, injuries and illnesses to date, chiro adjustments, food and supplement changes, etc., in an obsessive level of detail. You could watch videos and read books, take lots of notes, and then write up book/video reports on them. These are some things that I do when I'm stuck not being at the barn.

I've also been taking groundwork lessons, which is a lot of fun (except for when I suck at it, at which point it is good for me rather than fun per se).

You could teach your horse to bow.

You could get a book on horse massage and go to town learning how to do it well.

And if all else fails, I find that if I go to either youtube or pinterest, about two+ hours will suddenly disappear from my day.
    Last edited by suzier444; Apr. 9, 2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: because pinterest without the p is not a thing

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyMolly View Post
    ...although I don't have the first clue what this Red Dead Redemption is...
    Red Dead Redemption, complete with rainbow-farting unicorn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoxkaU1XKc
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

More COTH time?

On a more serious note if my time were my own (I have two kids under two) I would read a ton of books on my kindle, cuddle under my covers more, and nap. Oh... The napping!

Learn to/brush up on braiding and wrapping.

Go volunteer at a show or event or pony club.

Lunge, or learn to, maybe ground driving, at least at the walk.