The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Craig's List - 10 month old filly $150 - Montgomery County Texas

Anyone got room for this baby? I am not in a position to do much other than donate some $ if someone would like to pick this girl up.

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/3731236628.html

10 month old solid bay paint filly with star and one white sock. Should mature to 15.1 hands. Leads & bathes. Would make a great project for some one. Will go to auction if she doesnt sell by this saturday. May trade.

:-(
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Just sent a bit of a snarky email to the ad....saying what sale, she'll be cheaper to buy there anyway (I left out a few more choice descriptives of the owner....if you are marketing something, no matter how cheap, USE PICTURES!)
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bad idea. If people send rude emails, people might pull their ad to avoid backlash. Rule 1 of Craigslist horse rescue is be nice!!

7 members found this post helpful.

Not in this case. The idiot is going to do it anyhow, I just wanted idiot to know there are folks watching dumb statements like that. I don't cater to dumbness...that whole "I'll take it to the auction" threat pisses me off. You will get LESS, and you'll pay fuel and selling fees on top of it. Go on ahead, dumb butt, do it....we're watching. And laughing...and crying that poor horse had the misfortune to be in your hands.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    Not in this case. The idiot is going to do it anyhow, I just wanted idiot to know there are folks watching dumb statements like that. I don't cater to dumbness...that whole "I'll take it to the auction" threat pisses me off. You will get LESS, and you'll pay fuel and selling fees on top of it. Go on ahead, dumb butt, do it....we're watching. And laughing...and crying that poor horse had the misfortune to be in your hands.
    I'll second what spacytracy said. There is nothing to be gained by harassing a craigslist poster. You lessen the possibility of the horse finding a home.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thirded. And taking a horse to an auction is not a crime last I checked. Yes it is stupid of him however I don't get the moral backlash. I would hate for her to go to a bad home or kill buyer but that can easily happen off a craigslist ad for $150 too. He has every right to sell his livestock. Sheesh.

However I would still love for someone to go get her... Like I said a craigslist ad for $150 isn't going to bring all the best prospects.

2 members found this post helpful.

Do you think your email made the guy go "oh my god, she's right! Thank goodness she opened my eyes!". Of course not. Ignorant people don't know theyre ignorant.

If you truly want to help horses like this find a soft landing, you play nice, get the horse, and THEN ream them out if you so desire.

2 members found this post helpful.

Either buy the horse or leave the seller alone.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

5 members found this post helpful.

Good Lord, people. Just because a horse is sold at auction doesn't automatically mean its going to a bad home or the killer. I've bought several horses at auction and they are all fat and happy. I've sold horses from Craig'slist and I've just got finished consigning 5 horses to the semi-annual sale at Hagansport, TX. Its not a low end sale, its kind of a middle of the road sale catering to ranch horses. Does it make me an idiot or a bad person because I'm trying to sell these horses before I go broke and we all starve to death. It seems like on COTH, in some people's eyes, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, when it comes to selling horses.

What I saw was an ad for a grade filly that's had some handling that's priced reasonably for what she is. Seller says she'll go to the sale if not sold by a certain date so if you want her come buy her now. What's the big deal.

5 members found this post helpful.