The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BC Eventers -- Mt. Cheam?

So the Mt Cheam event is coming up... I was planning to make our debut at starter in May, but after June I'm very limited because of work. I want to try to get as many events and experiences in!

Mt Cheam only goes as low as Pre-entry. I've schooled PE (and even some E) fences, and have been told that because its a pony club event, they keep PE pretty low key. Rumour has it they don't max out the jumps and that xc is mostly within sight and not gallavanting all the trails.

Has anyone done this event? Can anyone attest to this? I've emailed the organizers to try and get more info. I don't want to over face us, but the beauty of this is that if we bungle it up, the next weekend is our starter event and I'm sure pony will be good there.

The issue is not pony's ability or desire to do 2'6 or PE height. I liked the idea of the May starter because its just a big long field for xc and keeps it simple...

Where are you located? I haven't competed at that event in years, but your overall sense of how it's run is correct. If you let me know, I can perhaps point you in the right direction of who to ask. Have you checked out The Mane Street Forums? There is much less activity there, but there are a few dedicated eventers who post, and one who is a chief volunteer at Island 22 (the site of Mt. Cheam event).
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

PM sent, Blugal.

The response from the organizers was to wait until after I do our "unDerby" on the 19th to send in my entry and gauge how I feel. My questions regarding how pre-entry xc is set up or maxing height weren't really addressed.