The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is this flap forward enough for me?

Please help me decide if this flap is forward enough for me:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/...psf541d32d.jpg

The saddle is a 17.5" Albion Kontrol. I'm 5'9".

I love the feel and ride of the saddle and feel like I can canter in 2 point all day. I don't have aspirations higher than training level.

I *think* the flap is forward enough, but I've never really ridden in a saddle that has a real forward flap.

note: this particular saddle is too wide for my horse, so I will likely be ordering new or shopping around for a used saddle with an appropriate sized tree.

thanks for your help!

Have you thought of maybe an 18"?
    You look slightly crammed in the saddle, due to your long hip-thigh.
    I am only 5'4 and ride in an 18" forward flap prestige. I never thought I'd be an 18" as I always thought it was for the size of your butt, but turns out its truly about the size of your hip-thigh. Forward flap on that saddle is perfect, but I do recommend trying an 18" this will also give you more room for banks/drops. The 17.5" looks like on a down bank it can pop you out.

Just my two cents
    I was on a serious long term saddle search and learned a lot in my experience about saddle sizes that I NEVER knew about.

2 members found this post helpful.

I also think the seat looks a little too snug for you. I'm 5'2", and I have a 17" Devoucoux. I just tried a Black Country that was an 18", and it didn't feel too big for me but the flaps were too long. See if you can find one with a bigger seat before you make a decision.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Too snug, and also not forward enough in my book. You aren't really in a short enough stirrup for any real kind of jumping, so if you were to shorten your stirrups a bit, you'll be over the flap.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is a large wrinkle in my chaps at my upper thigh that is hiding the pommel of the saddle, so perhaps that is why it appears snug? It doesn't feel small to me, but then again I've been riding a 17" for years, but not doing much jumping.

So perhaps I should order a 18" with a forward flap?

thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, I can't see the picture as photobucket is blocked at work .

I'm also 5'9" and had a heck of a time finding a saddle that fit properly. If you can some in several configurations to try before ordering, that's your least risky approach. I rode in a bunch of saddles (all the same model, it took me months to find them all available for borrowing or trial!).

17" with regular flap. Balance was great, but flap was too small, seat just barely fit.

18" with long, normal forward, flap, not bad, the bigger seat let me get my leg on the flap, but maybe not short enough for jumping, balance wasn't quite right.

18" with long forward flap...leg comfortably on flap with stirrups at jumping length, but the slightly big seat made the stirrup bar too far forward for me...it seemed to be worse with the forward flap than the regular flap above and I had to fight a chair seat.

17.5" with long foward flap...perfect!!

IF you can find them to try, I'd try the 17.5 with a forward flap and an 18" with a normal and a forward flap. I found the little differences, all in the same model saddle with the same tree size make a pretty big difference in how easy that saddle was to ride in.

I say go with the 18" but if you can sit in one first.
    When I was trying my Prestige I tried a 17" and fell in love, I loved how it held me, but turns out the 18" just gave me a bit more room in behind.

When I say snug, its the overall way you are in the saddle, you dont have much behind you or anymore room in the flap. The 18" will give you just a bit more that you really need.

You could go ahead and order, you will benefit more from the 18".

I ride in a jumping saddle that is too small and I LOOOOOVE it.

I'm 6' and have a LOT of femur.
    I'm in a Prestige eventer. 17" seat and 1XL flap. Probably in reality I should be in an 18" with a 2XL flap.
    My knee hangs over just a tad when I'm sitting. It looks fine when I'm up.

I also like to jump a little longer in the stirrup.

If you are cozy and it works for you. Do it. If you are having issues...then maybe you'll need a more forward flap.
    That saddle doesn't look to be a "forward" flap type. Such as something like the Prestige eventer (which is clearly more forward than their other models) or something like a Courbette Vision.
    The Vision actually comes stock either forward, or extra forward. I think that is cool.
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Courbette-Vis...gl,G!~~_35.JPG
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

looks too small.

yup, jump in pleanty of saddles that are too small and can make do and even feel comfortable....much nicer though when I'm in a saddle that acutally fits.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Karosel View Post
    Please help me decide if this flap is forward enough for me:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/...psf541d32d.jpg

The saddle is a 17.5" Albion Kontrol. I'm 5'9".

I love the feel and ride of the saddle and feel like I can canter in 2 point all day. I don't have aspirations higher than training level.

I *think* the flap is forward enough, but I've never really ridden in a saddle that has a real forward flap.

note: this particular saddle is too wide for my horse, so I will likely be ordering new or shopping around for a used saddle with an appropriate sized tree.

thanks for your help!
    There should be enough Albion's around for your rep to bring in demo saddles with the various flap & seat combinations (& tree that actually fits your horse) for you to really test ride these saddles - I would not special order anything (non-returnable) that you hadn't jumped stadium & XC first ...

Ideally you want to ride at least 2 weeks in a saddle to determine how it's going to feel for you & your horse, i.e. past the initial this feels soooo much better than my other saddle stage.

(I don't think this is the perfect saddle for you, need more forward on that flap)

When the rider is in light seat/two point the knee/thigh will lower. That is a better place to look at the fit because the joints are the most elastic in the position. If its comfortable (esp over fences), keep it.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    There should be enough Albion's around for your rep to bring in demo saddles with the various flap & seat combinations (& tree that actually fits your horse) for you to really test ride these saddles - I would not special order anything (non-returnable) that you hadn't jumped stadium & XC first ...

Ideally you want to ride at least 2 weeks in a saddle to determine how it's going to feel for you & your horse, i.e. past the initial this feels soooo much better than my other saddle stage.

(I don't think this is the perfect saddle for you, need more forward on that flap)
    The stockist in my town doesn't have any saddles anymore and is only still listed as a stockist to repair her previous clients saddles...or something like that. The next closest stockist only carries the Albion dressage saddles for demos, but will order me a jump saddle. And I think the next closest stockist is in Nova Scotia, so not anywhere near close enough.

I can order this saddle in a more forward flap, but I'm unsure of how much more forward. I'm sending wither tracings and photos to an Albion stockist within the next few days and can ask her how much more forward I can get the flap.

My horse also needs a drop or k type panel, which the Kontrol saddle has.

This saddle felt great over fences, but I was only jumping about 2 feet since my horse has just started jumping.

Thanks for your help everyone.

My first impression was overall too small. Seat, flap itself and the forwardness of the flap. You look cramped.

I'm 5'4'' with an 18'' 2a saddle... But all my height (what little there is) is in my legs, my legs are almost the exact same length as DH's, who is 6' and leggy.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    My first impression was overall too small. Seat, flap itself and the forwardness of the flap. You look cramped.
    That was my impression as well. I'm 5'9" and typically need an 18"--especially with a deep seat like that saddle. And I like a more forward flap. It is the sort of saddle that I would probably be fine in initially but would really fight on xc....especially at training level (but even at novice). Jumping drops you need more room.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I have been doing this same shopping nightmare myself this winter and have learned aLOT. Same as me, you're long from hip to knee. I'm 5'11. In this pic of yours, I'd say 2 things. 1. You need a "forward flap" and 2. you can't go into an 18" on this horse. He is already supporting the weight of the saddle (and you) over his last rib. You can't go beyond that. (who knew?) So find some saddles with a genuine forward flap. I am about to hand over the $$ for a Black Country Venici, 17.5" forward flap jump saddle. I've been riding in it for a week or so and cannot BELIEEEEVE the difference. What an education. Good luck.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    1. You need a "forward flap" and 2. you can't go into an 18" on this horse. He is already supporting the weight of the saddle (and you) over his last rib. You can't go beyond that. (who knew?) So find some saddles with a genuine forward flap.
    Yes, and my horses back has an upward slope to his croup and saddles sliding forward on him are a real problem, so I'm reluctant to go to an 18" even it is what I truly need, especially since a 17.5" feels ok to me. So perhaps a 17.5 with a real forward flap will work.

uggh, saddle shopping is awful. I've just started to work with a saddle fitter (just waiting on a wither tracing kit she's sent in the mail). However, I'm not sure if my budget matches what my horse and I need at the moment . I thought I had a dressage saddle sold until the buyer told me it didn't fit her horse (after a month long trial period), so now the budget is even smaller. Woe is me. But I guess on the bright side that gives the saddle fitter some time to have some used consignment saddles come in that may work.

Thanks for your help everyone. It's really helpful.

I HATED saddle shopping. It took some COTH power to keep me on task and not to give up. I'm not tall (5'3") but very long hip to knee. Hopefully, since you are taller than me, you'll find more things used to try! I had to go very custom (which was ok, as I had the budget to do it), with a short but high, forward flap (it's a County). It's perfect. The more I jump in it, the more I love it, but it was hell getting here!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I HATED saddle shopping. It took some COTH power to keep me on task and not to give up. I'm not tall (5'3") but very long hip to knee. Hopefully, since you are taller than me, you'll find more things used to try! I had to go very custom (which was ok, as I had the budget to do it), with a short but high, forward flap (it's a County). It's perfect. The more I jump in it, the more I love it, but it was hell getting here!
    hahaha, yes I feel like giving up and just getting myself something that works somewhat. But I've been riding in saddles like that for years (and wondering if that's why I find it so hard to stay with a horse when it jumps ie. not getting ahead or behind), and for once it would be nice have a saddle that truly fits. But if I have to wait a few more months to sell some saddles and get the budget in line, then so be it.

On another note, I found a cardboard engagement ring sizer thing in the console of my boyfriends truck. Hmm perhaps I can convince him to get an engagement saddle instead of engagement ring?

2 members found this post helpful.

Actually, you could go to an 18 in this saddle if you got upswept panels. Are you dead set on Albion? Because County has an eventing saddle that looks like it would fit you well, and they make them with skid row panels; try looking on eBay or Tack Trader, just for giggles.

WANT MY 17.5 CROSBY???
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.