The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those interested in Akhal tekes

A guy I know, who happens to be an Akhal Teke breeder, recently had a mare foal a beautiful new Teke filly. I just had to share!

New Teke filly 3

New Teke filly

New Teke filly 2
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Cute pics and intersting breed. I know little about them (but think they're cool!). THat mare looks very "typey". Didn't know there were many over here!!

There is a breeder in TX who brought a group of his horses to Equitana when it was still an annual event in Louisville. First time I had seen this breed.

I spent hours at his barn on the grounds and watching them being shown in the outdoor arena.

Absolutely fascinating animals.

I believe there was a lady in FL who had planned to race them. Don't know what ever happened to that idea.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Yes, Helga is very typey. All his mares and fillies tend to be quite typey, while the colts are more substantial. They really only get good muscling through constant work and tons of feed. When thrown out to pasture, they tend to lose it. His stud is an absolute darling though. He is kept with a herd of unrelated mares and their younger ones, and I swear, he is the most docile stallion ever. You could easily mistake him for a gelding. I guess that's probably because the mares have kicked the snot out of him time and again showing him who the boss is. LOL. He only pasture breeds.

Here's his stallion Maximus/Thor: Maximus
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I had a friend of a friend in Central California years ago who stood an Akhal Teke stud and he was so unique. They have those hooded eyes which sort of give them a very interesting and beautiful look.

We have a couple in the barn, both geldings. They look quite a bit more streamlined than our warmbloods!

Pardon me, but WTF?!?!?!? How is no one saying that that mare is emaciated?!?!? And it looks like her back legs are all bloody?!?!?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Pardon me, but WTF?!?!?!? How is no one saying that that mare is emaciated?!?!? And it looks like her back legs are all bloody?!?!?
    She not emaciated, it's a lack if muscle tone you are seeing. She lacks the top line that you would find on a riding horse. This look is also (if I'm not mistaken) typical to the breed.
    Her legs are bloody because she has recently had a foal, they jut haven't been washed yet.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love the Akhal-Teke breed, love love love them! Congrats on a healthy baby to your friend (:

alexander the great's famous horse Bucephalos was a Teke!
    They are said to have played a very important role in history so glad the breed is being preserved and thanks for sharing! Such a cool breed!!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Her legs are fine but I agree about the lack of weight on this mare

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    She not emaciated, it's a lack if muscle tone you are seeing. She lacks the top line that you would find on a riding horse. This look is also (if I'm not mistaken) typical to the breed.
    Her legs are bloody because she has recently had a foal, they jut haven't been washed yet.
    Really??? - none of these broodmares are riding horses & they look to be in good body weight & muscle tone ... this breeder also has some young horses & riding horses for sale (for comparison).

I agree with Olivereed, the horses look rough and fencing is not good, especially for foals. If I had a breeding operation promoting a basically unknown breed in the US, would have taken more pride in my horses then showing thin mares with bloody legs. Not a good first impression.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

3 members found this post helpful.

They are a strangely thin breed :
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...RE&adlt=strict

She looks out of shape, but her hip bones are not showing. You can see the roundness over the hip, even with a typey flat croup.

These mares are not ridden at all, so no, they don't have any topline muscle on them. Also, these pictures were just posted on his personal FB page, not on some sort of website promoting his breeding operation. He doesn't have any sort of internet advertising for his horses. So of course her legs would be bloody, she just gave birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalila View Post
    Also, these pictures were just posted on his personal FB page, not on some sort of website promoting his breeding operation. He doesn't have any sort of internet advertising for his horses. So of course her legs would be bloody, she just gave birth.
    If I posted some "rough" pics on FB for friends' eyes only I'm not sure how pleased I'd be with someone putting them on a popular BB.

3 members found this post helpful.

The foal is adorable! But I agree that is a sad looking mare. And she didn't "just have the foal" in the pic with the bloody legs. Ick, clean the poor girl up for crizesake!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I think the mare is a little thin too, even for a Teke. But she's not emaciated. I hope he ups her feed a bit though. The filly is adorable! And the stallion is nice too.

These horses are perfectly capable of carrying weight and maintaining type but it is more "fashionable" to keep them lean like greyhound showdogs. Sometimes, as often happens with animals, fashion goes a bit far. Some of the foreign ones you see are truly thin because they live in areas without a lot of food! These are hardy horses, other horses might starve to death under the same conditions.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.