The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time to switch trainers?

Before I moved to my current trainer, I was successfully competing in the 3'6 jumpers. However, this trainer has completely made me lose my confidence. Everytime I approach a jump, she tells me that my horse is going to flip over the jump and land on me. She also makes me sit so forward on my crotch that I'm starting to get blisters. She has made me super afraid of jumping =(

Yup, time to switch. If you have some major gaps in your education that are causing you to approach jumps unsafely (giving your trainer the benefit of the doubt) and you don't understand what you are doing wrong or how to fix it then its time to find a trainer who can explain it and help you.

The fact that your trainer thinks you are an unsafe jumper and is continuing to let you jump anyway is also concerning. Either your trainer truly thinks (correctly or not) that you are going to flip your horse over every jump and is letting you continue or she is exaggerating to the point you are scared to jump at all. In either situation, I would be looking for another trainer.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

2 members found this post helpful.

The only reason I moved to this barn was because it was cheaper. I was making solid progress before. I really thought my position was solid before, but like I said, she makes me sit so far forward I have blisters on my crotch. My distances are spot on and I never rush my horse to jumps, I also keep him off his forehand....what besides that could cause him to flip? Don't you think she has me sitting way too far forward now?-I shouldn't be getting blisters on my crotch ...
    The fact that your trainer thinks you are an unsafe jumper and is continuing to let you jump anyway is also concerning. Either your trainer truly thinks (correctly or not) that you are going to flip your horse over every jump and is letting you continue or she is exaggerating to the point you are scared to jump at all. In either situation, I would be looking for another trainer.[/QUOTE]

New trainer. Nobody should make you feel afraid.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockigirl View Post
    The only reason I moved to this barn was because it was cheaper. I was making solid progress before. I really thought my position was solid before, but like I said, she makes me sit so far forward I have blisters on my crotch. My distances are spot on and I never rush my horse to jumps, I also keep him off his forehand....what besides that could cause him to flip? Don't you think she has me sitting way too far forward now?-I shouldn't be getting blisters on my crotch ...
    Different trainers have different styles. If your new trainer teacher a more forward seat or more "huntery" position it is possible for it feel very odd at first while you get used to it. Doesn't necessarily make it wrong. As far as blisters go, that could be from riding with too much seat, saddle not fitting you, sensitive skin, etc. It doesn't inherently mean your trainer is wrong, although she could be.

Without seeing a video its hard to know how far forward you are exactly but again I say switch just based on the fact that you don't understand what your trainer says you are doing wrong and therefore can't improve (again, assuming there is anything wrong to begin with!)
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought most horses flipped due to missed distances...or really running a horse off his feet....Correct me if Im wrong....

If you feel you can't have an honest and productive discussion with her about what you've been feeling lately (concerns about your position, fear when jumping, worries that you're not progressing, etc.), then you should find a new trainer.

If you think you could discuss all of this with her, and that she will receive your input and work on improving communication and confidence, then I'd say give that a try before packing up and hauling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockigirl View Post
    I thought most horses flipped due to missed distances...or really running a horse off his feet....Correct me if Im wrong....
    The risk of flipping over is usually related to the horse's jumping form. For example, separating the front legs so they scissor a pole instead of just knocking it down. When missing really badly or running effects the horse's style then yes they could cause a flip. Most horses that have a decent jumping form won't flip even if you miss or run at a jump though. They will chip or knock the jump down. I would definitely want to know why a trainer is saying you have a risk of flipping over.

she's also pretty arrogant. I once asked her why she didnt wear a helmet and she said " i'm a professional, I don't need a helmet"

From the tone of your posts, it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Even if this trainer works well for other people, it doesn't sound like it is working out for you. Saving money is not worth losing your confidence and enjoyment in riding, and if you aren't confident your horse won't be either.

All riders need helmets. Those who don't wear them take that extra risk.

I think this poster might be trolling us... Helmets, Inverness problem, and rotational falls all in one thread?

8 members found this post helpful.

LOl I'm not trolling you. I promise you

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I think this poster might be trolling us... Helmets, Inverness problem, and rotational falls all in one thread?
    Call me naive or optimistic, but I would hope someone would use something more anonymous than a school email to make a troll account.

I'm not a troll....sheesh

Simply put, I think there is no reason to stay with a trainer if you are not satisfied with what you're receiving from them.

Sounds like you're really not happy, so move on. It seems unproductive (and painful--crotch blisters??). There are different styles of teaching, but I don't get the point of her telling you you're going to flip. I can't imagine that would do anything other than scare you and make you tense.

Sometimes you get what you pay for

TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds very trollish.

The long and short of it is if you do not like your trainer then find one you like. No reason to post time and time again adding tid bits of silliness to make the point further. Not every trainer is a fit with every rider. Just like not every horse is a fit with every rider. Find the system/horse/trainer that works for you. No reason to bad mouth anyone.

It does sound trollish...HOWEVER....

Some trainers don't click with some riders just like some horses don't click with some riders. I had a trainer who increased my (already bad) performance anxiety to the point that STILL over 5 years later I get "trainer anxiety", which results in me not being able to breathe and process information in a lesson. Yay.

But she worked for a lot of other people. Would I say she was a bad trainer? No, she's lovely. Just not the right trainer for me (nor my mare).