The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 73 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Hey Bensmom- so when is this coming to the UK? It sounds fab!
    No hugging dear. I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Hmm -- that reaction on the Dev saddle seat is *really* strange!! We had pics of a Dev saddle cleaned earlier in the thread and it was fine, and at least one, if not more of the BNRs that have used it ride in Devs and have had no issues.

Now, I'm *really* curious as to what might have caused it! Has anyone else had any issues at all?
    Yeah, I saw others had used it on their Devs too with no problems, which makes me think either it was a one off or it would have happened anyway no matter what I used. I'll give it another try. The rest of the saddle liked it fine!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Just got finished cleaning all my tack! Love the soap...it cleans well, no residue, and doesn't leave my hands feeling sticky or dirty. I like it much better than the other glycerine I had been using (Carr & Day & Martin)

The most dramatic turnaround was in my filthy old Dansko paddock boots. These boots are probably 8-10 years old, and I've worn them a lot, both around the barn and riding. The backs of them always have big dirt spots on them, and over the years the dirt (and horse hair and sweat) has just kind of gotten pressed into the leather until it's really hard to get off. Usually takes a lot of scrubbing, and I can still tell where it's embedded in the leather.

Bensmom's soap fixed all that! The boots look great, and the dirty spot is completely gone.

Before (clean boot on the left, dirty on the right):
    http://s737.photobucket.com/user/Red...tml?sort=3&o=0

After (both clean boots):
    http://s737.photobucket.com/user/Red...tml?sort=3&o=1
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

I have turned into a tack cleaner. This stuff is great! My 15 year old paddock boots and 23 yr old bridle look like new. (well, aside from the actual cracks in the boots) I have been cleaning my tack every DAY! Unheard of behavior for me. Plus, my good boots shined up well enough to ride in Lucinda's clinic with no polishing! Thanks, Libby-great invention, thanks for sharing. ;-)
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Hmm -- that reaction on the Dev saddle seat is *really* strange!! We had pics of a Dev saddle cleaned earlier in the thread and it was fine, and at least one, if not more of the BNRs that have used it ride in Devs and have had no issues.

Now, I'm *really* curious as to what might have caused it! Has anyone else had any issues at all?

I've cleaned three Devoucoux jump saddles (using two different "flavors" of the soap). One light calf leather and two darker. Soap did a lovely job on all of them. I find that the leather on some of my bridles is just getting better and better with consistent use.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Whew -- that makes me feel better! I cannot figure out what might have caused an unusual reaction, unless perhaps it reacted with something that had been used to clean Renn's saddle before?

I'm so glad that y'all have continued to be pleased, and Pol -- good for you on the tack cleaning! My trainer, who was trained by LeGoff and his barn manager up through the '84 games, says if you will clean it and wipe it down after every use, you will have tack that lasts forever. At least until some horse steps on the reins and breaks them, or some such silliness.

It took me a little while to win her over to my soap. She was also a saddle fitter/rep for a time, and was suspicious to start with. But, she is a total convert now and won't use anything else.

And she is a TOUGH critic -- I promise, if this stuff didn't do well over the long haul? I'd have heard about it, for certain.

The pictures are fabulous! Thank you guys so very much!

As soon as I figure out the best way to do it, I would like to ask for everyone's opinion on logo ideas! Surveymonkey won't let me display the image at the top of the survey, and I can post pics on COTH, but they don't enlarge very big for you to be able to see them.

Any ideas on the best way to do a survey like that?

Thanks guys!!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I will also be placing another order soon because I want some to put in the trailer...and some to keep at home too. But the girls at the barn like all the three scents I got so are not letting me take some that I already bought

PS I like them all (citrus ginger, vana/lav and rosemary) but the rosemary is my fav.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 24, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I know you only made a small test batch of it, but any chance you'll be making more of the Confidence variety soon? I'd love to get a few of the Confidence if you go forward with it - I think that one with the name alone would make a good gift for a few people I have in mind
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Any samples left?
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Quote Originally Posted by GutsNGlory View Post
    I know you only made a small test batch of it, but any chance you'll be making more of the Confidence variety soon? I'd love to get a few of the Confidence if you go forward with it - I think that one with the name alone would make a good gift for a few people I have in mind
    I, too, would love to order this if you make some more. Love my lavender/vanilla though.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Hey, Bensmom? Would you be willing to try a vanilla/mint combo?

Edit: I made an account on here just to ask you this

3 members found this post helpful.

Sure! I'm up for trying things, once the big orders are done. There is a very patient COTH'er awaiting her wholesale order at the moment . . .

I've really enjoyed work on this, and the darn day job keeps getting in the way -- I need to create a file where y'all can give me logo feedback

Awesome! I've got my boyfriend all hyped up about cleaning my saddle for me, now.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraLee95 View Post

*Enthusiastically waves hands in air* Second! I would be SO game for a vanilla mint scent! My two favorite scents combined - you can't go wrong! Man... I'm going to be ordering a LOT of soap.
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Quote Originally Posted by KaraLee95 View Post

I'd secretly wondered this as well
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I finally got to cleaning all of my stuff this evening. I love it! It cleaned up my grungy track halter that hasn't seen soap in over a year after being thrown in storage. It seemed to help soften the el cheapo bling bridle I bought a few months ago. I am hoping this stuff will finally make it comfortable for my mare to wear... She is quite fond of her Nunn Finer that is far softer... And I must please the diva! It appeared to whiten the fancy stitch on my Nunn Finer as well. Though it could be my imagination! I am also thrilled with how lovely my new to me Stubben Tristan cleaned up. Granted it is already in amazing shape, but I think this stuff did a number on several of the surface scratches!

I agreed with others that the scent is very subdued. It smells a lot stronger in the jar. I do love how the leather and my hands feel. Soft but not too soft if you get my drift. Also I went through two bridles, tall boots, halter and a dressage saddle, and it barely looks like I used any of the soap! You get a lot of bang for your buck!

Bensmom, did you get my pm?

Thank you! So glad you liked it! And yes, I did and it shipped out on Tuesday!

Renn/aissance, what are "jockeys" as regards to your bridle?

Was I absent that day from horse camp?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Renn/aissance, what are "jockeys" as regards to your bridle?

Was I absent that day from horse camp?
    Oh! I can answer this!

You know those greasy, sticky globs of dirt that develop when you don't clean your tack real regularly? You have to scrape them off with your fingernails, or if they're really bad, a butter knife?

THOSE are jockeys!

I finally used my soap!!! I love it! I have yet to use it on my saddles, but I had many bridles to clean - plus my half chaps and a really disgusting martingale..... I am a very methodical cleaner and I was a little put off by the lack of lather, but if that is the only 'problem' there is I'm sure i will survive! . When I felt the need for more lather I just left the sponge a little wetter and I got a nice lather (even though I don't think I really needed it).

I agree with the rest of the review on how nice my leather was to the touch after I cleaned it and also how clean my hands felt when I finished. I spent 3 hours cleaning 6 bridles with reins and other miscellaneous tack and I can't wait to clean it all again to see how regular use of the soap will help condition the leather! The scent was barely noticeable which was perfect for me because I am very sensitive to smells.

I also loved how my soap came with candy and a sponge!! That was a double bonus! . Tomorrow I will clean my halters and saddles. I will do my best to get some before and after shots.

I must also say how happy I am to be able to buy such a quality product from someone's kitchen! What a wonderful product and a wonderful way to start a business!