The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Just hit my saddle with it and my saddle looks awesome. Thanks bensmom!

(your bridle is in the mail-- PO says look for it on friday )

1 members found this post helpful.

I had just cleaned my tack for an event right before I got the soap, so nothing is super dirty, but I did clean my martingale yesterday. Very happy! No residue, which is usually my main complaint with other brands. Hope to have time this coming week to really put it to the test. I'm cleaning up a bunch of old stuff to put on Craigslist
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I finally finished cleaning all of my tack with the soap - i'm officially hooked! It goes on wonderfully and got all of the sticky gross stuff off of my tall boots.

-scurriesofftobuymoresoap-

I shared your website link on another forum with my review so hopefully the word will spread. :-)

3 members found this post helpful.

Libby,

The one concern I always have about scented products is attracting bugs, especially bees and yellow jackets, in the summer time. For that reason, an unscented version might be nice, especially for someone with a bad allergy to bees (or a horse that might not like them buzzing around their face). Otherwise, I love scents!

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbells View Post
    Libby,

The one concern I always have about scented products is attracting bugs, especially bees and yellow jackets, in the summer time. For that reason, an unscented version might be nice, especially for someone with a bad allergy to bees (or a horse that might not like them buzzing around their face). Otherwise, I love scents!
    That's a good point, but the one I got (vanilla..something..it's in the barn) does not have an overly sweet smell, and the fragrance it does have is very mild.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Just ordered mine today, hope to get it soon, as I have a BNT clinic in two weeks...My tack needs a good cleaning, so I'll wait for it and let you know...

I don't have mine YET but I ALWAYS go for unscented everything when there is a choice. I have to admit, I had a hard time figuring out which scent to order bc I have such a dislike for smelly stuff. Then I decided to buy the citrus for Buzz bc I think I remember Buzz was in trouble when Mikey was struggling. When my package arrives I'll let you know what The Nose thinks.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Yeah- when Confidence comes out, just put one in my cart...I need that stuff!

Aromatherapy and horses seem to go hand in hand. Add my Daniel Stewart "C's" phrases that I use, and maybe, just maybe one day I might head out there again. Will there ever be another Taco in my life???
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Tried the soap today, I didn't understand if I was supposed to wet the sponge or not, this thread has cleared that up. Will try again with a damp sponge, today it was dry, so felt more like I was conditioning than cleaning. I like the scent, not too overpowering. So will report back in once I actually use the product properly!

Okay, you all have persuaded me to try it too! Nothing like great saddle soap...

2 members found this post helpful.

Just got mine...LOVE it. Yes there is a scent...but not strong at all (I like all the ones I got!). You can smell it if you put your nose into it...but it isn't overpowering at all. I can't smell it on my hands after cleaning some VERY dirty boots.

It cut through the mud and grime on my boots easily and now the leather of the boots is looking really good. A++++ product.

I'll be ordering more for sure!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Ah, well -- I made the "confidence" scent as a tester scent, and don't have any made up in the "real" jars. I will be glad to toss one in and you can let me know what you think when you order! Make sure and let me know that you want to try that one -- it is a citrus rosemary scent
    Thanks a bunch for tossing in a tester! I really appreciate it! I just placed an order. I guess I picked the other citrus scent too! I'm super excited to try this stuff after all of the rave reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Oh, that is easy! I had impossible standards such as wanting my horses to have adequate hay, clean water and a relatively safe place to live
    Well, geez, what an OCD holier-than-though muckity-muck. Adequate hay?! CLEAN water? What do you think, people are made of money? And a safe place to live? Snobbery!

I've faced similar situations and left barns because of substandard care (or even not-quite-up-to-my-standards care). I've determined that I HAVE to do part-board because otherwise I will never be happy--I don't want to pay full board and have to pick my stall/paddock every day, buy extra hay and shavings, etc. It's just not worth the hassle. I want my horse to have hay 24/7, enough grain to cover his nutritional needs, lots of turnout, etc. Since nobody else does things to my standard, I just have to do it myself!

And as an aside, I think we should start a COTHers Etsy group!

If you guys start one, please let me know!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Well, Equus' March edition printed an article about aromatherapy and horses, and research showed that LAVENDER calms them
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post

And as an aside, I think we should start a COTHers Etsy group!
    Or at least a COTH Etsy Treasury. I wonder if there is a way to do that....I'm etsy obsessed.
    - JK Sporthorses -

People Soap is not a bad idea..I actually order my personal soap from a small boutique soap maker in the West. I love the Lavander soap w/ actual Lavander heads in it!! and gift soaps to friends...PM me your saddle soap orer info..I love anything that works and smells nice...

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Signing up now to be a people soap tester
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

FWIW, my boarders are RAVING about this stuff! I was cleaning tack last night with a couple of them, and they were thrilled with it, saying everything everyone has been saying- soft, not sticky, shiny, smells great but not too much. I'm sending them the etsy link.

Hmm -- ACME - if it turns out safe, I will be glad to share it, but the people soap worries me a little bit! A lot of the recipes I've studied are pretty different from what I do, and I think I'm going to experiment some and see what happens.

My BFF's mother has requested the Rosemary scent in a people soap, and frankly, the ingredients for good leather care (which is, after all, *skin* ) are not that different from what makes good people soap, so I'm going to make a few changes, add some abrasive stuff to make it good for scrubbing barn/gardening dirty hands and see what happens! I probably have a lot to learn there

YB -- I'm so glad your peeps are happy with it! I was thinking about what people said yesterday about other products leaving their hands smelling bad -- and it occurred to me then -- if it leaves a residue on your hands that is yucky, how good can it be for leather? I had not noticed that with other products, 'cause I've been making this for myself for so long, but this thread really got me thinking!

JBRP -- There is a clickable link in my sig

Thank you guys so much!!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap