The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jexa View Post
    My hunting DH said he'd help clean my tack when I helped clean a deer......well that escalated quickly!
    Oh, I don't think so!!

I'll clean tack, thanks. At our house, it would more than likely be "ok, so you come and clean fish, then." No, no, no, no, no.

With that in mind, maybe I'm ok with making and shipping soap all by myself after all . . .

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Dang, etsy won't let you place an order if you are all out? How will you know how much more to make? I would like a lavender/vanilla.... Hint hint

1 members found this post helpful.

i got through about half the pages on this thread and didn't see what i was looking for. do you recommend (or feel comfortable saying so) this for a brand new saddle or bridle? i haven't really used a soap on my saddles in a long time and i have a brand new saddle that i want to take the best care of possible!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The horse loves vanilla things (that was the shampoo I had to switch because I couldn't get him out of my hair- seriously, he'd follow me around like a dog, only he'd have his nose in my hair the entire time, just sniffing) as well as citrus and mint, so I just picked a scent at random and we'll go with it. Eager to see how it works on the bridle!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I just ordered some in rosemary mint. Can't wait to try; sounds fabulous!
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Ok, Etsy will now let you order! I was watching it and needed to reset it and should have done it earlier today. Fortunately Frugalannie let me know right away that it was having an issue, so I fixed it! Horsekrazy, since I am basically making it to order, feel free to choose whichever option you like, as soon as I have my jars (Monday afternoon!!!!) I will make all the soaps as ordered!

Crimsonsky -- I have used it on my own new saddle, but since there are so many types and finishes of leather, I'd be very hesitant to say for certain how it would react on different colors and finishes. I can be almost 100% certain it would be fine, but the lawyer in me won't let me just tell you that. I know it has been used on french saddles/buffalo leather by other folks, and mine is a very soft finish leather in a dark, dark brown and it has worked well with all of the above. It has no dyes, no colorant and is glycerin and oils based and it *should* be fine. But, again, that darn lawyer in me makes me be careful of any guarantees and promises.

I always feel a little incomplete without the whole lawyer disclaimer provided! Apparently the old thing about law school teaching you to think like a lawyer is correct -- it becomes something you can't turn off!

All these amazing reviews convinced me! I don't even remember what scent I just ordered, but I'm super excited to give it a shot!

I love this soap.

I am not sure what fragrance the test soap is. To me it smells like a new car with leather seats. I am tempted to leave the container open so the tack room will smell like that, but I don't want to dry out the soap.

The first thing I cleaned with it was my hackamore bridle. This poor bridle gets used about 2x/year. And it gets stiff and oogy in between uses. I thought I would just wipe it off with the new soap, and then do a really good cleaning job after I rode.

SURPRISE! The quick wipe off I did made the bridle softer and useable right away! I had not expected such an instant change in the leather. It would have taken 3 - 4 soapings with the fancy German saddle soap I have been using.

I am a fan. Anything that saves time AND does a great job is on my "must use" list.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

2 members found this post helpful.

You both have got the Buzz's Citrus Ginger! LH -- I am so pleased that you are pleased! I know you have high standards for your tack, and I hope you continue to like it!

Sammy thinks that he needs his own special edition scent soap!

Thank you guys for having confidence in my tiny little enterprise!!

Libby

OK, now I am curious as to why Bensmom had to leave all those stables. And apparently now I won't ever get to read it--the curiosity is killing me!

Oh, that is easy! I had impossible standards such as wanting my horses to have adequate hay, clean water and a relatively safe place to live -- from the other stories I've read here on COTH, sketchy boarding places seem to be a not-unusual thing!

The same trainer that taught me to take such good care of my horses (she was barn manager for Jack LeGoff at the Team in the early 80's) also taught me to clean tack -- and when she determined that my saddle soap was the best product out there, that is one of the best endorsements I could have received!

Libby

Libby,

I am sure you know how wonderful this is... I am so happy for you!

Years ago, I began my "CoTH" friendship with Libby and followed her struggles with the Buzz Monster. I rejoiced along with her when he got stronger, and went out in the world. This new venture makes me almost as happy! I, of course, had to get the Buzz scent. Waiting for it to arrive!

But I know that I need the Confidence Scent...I KNOW this! next order, okay??

Congrats!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

hahaha - thank's Bensmom! i can certainly understand the lawyer disclaimer. i'd also be curious to find out the ingredients just for my own label reading sake.

now to pick a scent...

Annika,

You and Taco were so kind to Buzzy at his very first show! I still have the goodies that he sent in his care package! I miss that little monster every day! I really like the way the confidence blend smells -- I need to decide whether to incorporate the aromatherapy stuff in the soap descriptions?

The best I can do, without listing the recipe here, is to tell you it has glycerin, fats and essential oils -- does that help?

Libby

So, here's MY big question, now that I've been using (and loving this stuff)...

What the hell do I do with my almost brand new tub of Tatersall AND my brand new bar of glycerin soap (don't like the Tatersall on my new saddle....love, love this stuff on it, though!)?!

I know what you mean, YB. I have loved first Stubben Hammanol, then Black Rock for conditioners, and recently discovered (and posted here raving) about the Oakwood soap -- well, now I expect I'll like this stuff even better when I get it, so what do I do with all the Oakwood and Black Rock?
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

maybe hand off the "old" stuff to a pony club kid or therapeutic riding program?

2 members found this post helpful.

I was intrigued by the "Confidence" scent but didn't see it listed on Etsy to buy. When will that scent be available again? Otherwise I'm going to have to just randomly pick a scent at random. They all sound great! I really need to try this stuff.

After reading all the wonderful reviews, I ordered some Citrus Ginger last night! Can't wait to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedona View Post
    I was intrigued by the "Confidence" scent but didn't see it listed on Etsy to buy. When will that scent be available again? Otherwise I'm going to have to just randomly pick a scent at random. They all sound great! I really need to try this stuff.
    Ah, well -- I made the "confidence" scent as a tester scent, and don't have any made up in the "real" jars. I will be glad to toss one in and you can let me know what you think when you order! Make sure and let me know that you want to try that one -- it is a citrus rosemary scent

I need to develop a fourth one and maybe an unscented . . . Mostly I'm just *really frustrated* waiting on my next order of jars to arrive Monday afternoon. I can't do anything until I have them. Hopefully this next set of jars will look more professional even still! Off to work on labels . . .