The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It is not so easy to find a nice moving, well trained, small dressage horse.

I have three and all of them were difficult to find (and only one of the, was well trained - had to build the other ones).

Small dressage horses are almost always tanks - normal size horse on short legs, not my kind of ride (I am 5'2" with a very bad back).

There are only a few quality GRPs in the US and the ones for sale when I have looked have been either very overpriced or poor quality.

You can be reasonably competitive on a nice moving, correct, well trained mutt. It isn't nearly as easy as buying a bred for the job WB, but it can be done. All depends on your goals.

3 members found this post helpful.

You can find smaller Warmbloods for less money than there larger counterparts. I bought one as a 2 year old. I would have had to pay at least 5 K more for her bloodlines if she was going to end up 16.2 or more. She is 15.2 and rides like a big horse. I am 5'3 and would not have been able to manage her at 16.3 as she is a lot of mare! I will say that if I had to sell her now that she is competing, there would be no small horse discount. But, I would realize the buying pool would be smaller in numbers than for one 16+ hands. I would recommend looking for a small warmblood any day!

We just sold a confirmed third level pony schooling 4th, and I have a sale pending on a confirmed 1st Level pony if ever I could make up my mind to commit to selling her. Im pretty sure honeylips just sold one of her Imports recently as well. The issue I see mainly is buyers don't necessarily want to pay for training/show experience on pony (unless they are buying for a Junior or have money to burn)--- which is not the same as saying they are 'difficult to find'. At least with the ponies we have sold they tend to sell just after backing or more typically just coming up on riding age.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    We just sold a confirmed third level pony schooling 4th, and I have a sale pending on a confirmed 1st Level pony if ever I could make up my mind to commit to selling her. Im pretty sure honeylips just sold one of her Imports recently as well. The issue I see mainly is buyers don't necessarily want to pay for training/show experience on pony (unless they are buying for a Junior or have money to burn)--- which is not the same as saying they are 'difficult to find'. At least with the ponies we have sold they tend to sell just after backing or more typically just coming up on riding age.

Yes-I have sod 2 imported ponies since February. :-)
    RoseLane Sportponies - Home of
    Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Petit Marc Aurel- International FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

1 members found this post helpful.

We just sold a confirmed third level pony schooling 4th,
    did you sell E?

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    did you sell E?
    Yes, he may occasionally be back in CA to compete though.

also, fwiw, some horses might find the lower level work easy - but the further you get up the levels the harder the work becomes.... and at some point the "character" of the horse will come into play.... can they stay happy and willing once the works gets difficult? because it will get hard.... will they stay happy to give it their all year after year?

a fancy trot is just that, but good character and willingness to work is what really matters IMO
    I tend to agree, with the caveat that good character and work ethic are not just the realm of less-than-talented equids. And that while great gaits are no guarantee of upper level success, neither are flat or suspect gaits. I'm not going to lie to you guys, either: I'm not touching a horse that doesn't have pure gaits. They don't have to be fancy, but the rhythm has to be there for me to take it on.

With a horse that's proven itself at the upper levels (for the sake of this discussion, let's say 3rd+), extravagant gaits are less important because you know they've got other great qualities. With a prospect... well, you're taking a pretty big risk.

The range of quality of ponies in this country is huge. My premium GRP was offered for free on Craigslist, for reasons of a tough personality and a failed attempt to put her under saddle. On the other side of the scale, there are some fabulous and well-trained imported (or home-grown) ponies fetching high-5 figures.

Yes, he may occasionally be back in CA to compete though.
    wow!!!! where did he go? and congrats !

wow!!!! where did he go? and congrats !
    This is his new home: http://www.loscedros.com/facility.html

Los cedros - That's my neighborhood. I'll definitely keep an eye out for him.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I've spent some time at Los Cedros while showing in Scottsdale. What a spectacular facility. Congratulations on the sale!

I'm sure everyone feels the same way about what they ride; but, even before today (which was very good on his part, wish I wasn't so human on mine ) to answer the OP's question - priceless

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps0c02407e.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...psf4934f4d.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps29baaacb.jpg
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

5 minutes from my house. I have friends who board there and will have a peak.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    I'm sure everyone feels the same way about what they ride; but, even before today (which was very good on his part, wish I wasn't so human on mine ) to answer the OP's question - priceless

Ooh! Was this the Adult Symposium? I had so many things every other weekend that I decided to stay home this weekend and ride instead of going, and am so sad not to be there! It was worth it for the breakthrough we had today, but still, please give us a report of how it went!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Yes, netg, it was. As for a report, I had a good time. I hope to improve on today's ride tomorrow. Lots of stuff to fix; and more ideas on how to do it.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

exvet - I was there - you are an amazing rider. Such poise, absolutely gorgeous horse, and you are so kind to him. You are one of those riders who makes it look effortlessly easy. Absolutely effortlessly easy. I hope to get there one day!
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh thank you right horse at the right time, you are truly too kind. I wish I could have done him more justice but I was just happy that he held it together save the short blip when the foal decided to do zoomies in the pasture that was close by

Hilda picked up instantly on all my bad habits which was more than fair. I hope to be able to do better tomorrow but as it is with stallions you just never know what the next day will bring. I plan to put some of her suggestions to work so we'll see. If you're there tomorrow please say hi.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

exvet, lovely pictures! Anyone taking video? Would love to hear and see what is going on.

He is stunning. I love hearing about your adventures and challenges, you are another inspiration for me on these boards.

One thing I have learned about the ponies, they are NOT easy! Sure, some of them are (at least the quiet more stubborn types typically just plant their feet rather than buck/bolt/spin/rear) but many of the ponies can be very hot combined with attitude and brains. And the size of some also make them harder to ride when things get interesting. It will be interesting to see where this pony thing ends up going with AAs. I know you have been one to be brutally honest about the challenges. We have cnm who found a fancy, well bred GRP for FREE because of the difficult temperament. I am sure that often influences the prices vs their horse counterparts.

After viewing this thread, I'm convinced that my next dressage mount will be a fancy little GRP!

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post

Gorgeous photos!