The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thank you for the compliments.

Perfect pony - We did capture some video today but it will take me a while to upload some clips. When I do I'll send the link to you.

We had an even better day today. Took Hilda's advice and changed some things which worked well.

right horse at the right time - it was so nice to meet you and put a face to your board name. I hope the audience was getting as much out of the clinic as we riders did. I for one am very glad I went.

melody1 - I think the GRPs are probably better suited to the "desires" of most on this board and those amateurs who want warmblood but smaller.

To get back to the OP's question [again] the prices are all over the map. There are some bargains to be had; but, I think just like with their larger counterparts the key will be writing down the must haves on the list and then network to see exactly what you can find and for how much. Keep in mind the more training and track record you want the higher the price should be.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a mutt that was Morgan (old Justin Morgan type) crossed with qtr horse. I got him older (he was 13 about) but he took to dressage and had good scores. I only got to 1st with him. Had to retire him with epm at 17 yrs old but he was built nice and was willing. Intro scores were mid 70s then thru first he'd score mid to high 60s. I think he could have gone further and done well if I didn't have to retire him. Found him at a trail riding barn and offered 2500 for him and they took it. So they are out there. Like my vet always says find the horse that isn't for sale if you want something to train. He wasn't for sale neither was my new guy.

New guy is a 15.2 h registered paint. He's a mess and no he's not a high level horse but we have hopes he will make it to 3rd with good scores but will probably top out there. Making it there is going to have a lot to do with his brain. He has such a good brain and work ethic and just wants to please. He is stocky built though like a ranch type paint so the work is going to get hard for him but I think he has the heart to do it.

Check everywhere. Look at trail riding facilities if there are any around you, sometimes if you offer enough they will take the money and not even know what talent a horse may have. Just trying to help you think outside the box.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    right horse at the right time - it was so nice to meet you and put a face to your board name. I hope the audience was getting as much out of the clinic as we riders did. I for one am very glad I went.
    You too! You are such a beautiful rider, and you handle him so wonderfully. Again, you make it look so easy!! I learned so much from Hilda - I tried to soak up as much as possible. There are some definite take home messages that I am going to try to compile and perhaps post in the next few days. Mostly, I'm just happy to have been able to spend time watching such beautful animals and people who clearly want to work to be there. The horses had such personality (and the foal zoomies were a riot - I never realized the extent of the herd mentality, even while a horse is working)! This is such a process, and I'm glad I'm not anxious to skip through the levels. There's no way I'd be happy with my progress. I'm quite content to be pleased with 20 m circles and learning to glue my butt in my saddle. Thanks for showing us your gorgeous boy and your excellent riding skills! I hope to see you again at shows or clinics .
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

exvet, you look great. Is that Resolute A?

Thank you BaroquePony. Yes, that's Pro A Resolute.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I haven't read through all these posts, so if I'm repeating I apologize. Have you thought about a Connemara? I have a 3 year old I'm bringing along who is quiet but forward under saddle and has a FUN personality! His parents event and do dressage, he has potential for both. When ( or if) I market him I'll only ask 4k and by that time he'll have show miles and trail experience as well. He's already 14.1 and I think he'll finish off around 14.2. And leggy but stout! Not trying to market him, sorry if it sounds like that just giving examples of what can be found.

exvet, I was tired. Production Acres. Pro A. I forget about all these prefixes.

Anywho, he is turning out really nicely. You should be proud of him. He's beautiful.

btw OP if you are still reading: if your friend is interested they are welcome to come watch me have a lesson or ride (more exciting during lessons!) and to see what a normal 14.3h average bred pony can do .... maybe help give an idea to what is out there (my guy is not for sale)

just give me a shout if you want to stop by.

Even some of the 'fancy' GRPs are decently priced, particularly if they have been bred here rather than imported.

I have a gorgeous 14hh GRP mare who was a very good price because she is too small for most adults but is an adult ride and quite sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Thank you for the compliments.

Perfect pony - We did capture some video today but it will take me a while to upload some clips. When I do I'll send the link to you.
    me too me too please

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    me too me too please

Me three! I'm sad I couldn't make it.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Me too, exvet. Maybe post it here?

Perfect Pony you should have a PM. Let me know if I need to re-send.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Exvet...those pics are fabulous! So inspiring!

Thank you fairtheewell. It helps to have a daughter with a good eye and an 'expensive' camera and the pony is a lot of fun too
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com