The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff... Do you actually know the lingo of Sales Ads...

So in the War horse thread the OP mentioned she believed that the term, "He has no flexions in his ankles" indeed meant that he wouldn't flex positive.

This is of course not correct. It means that the joint has partially or fully fused and the horse doesn't have the ability to flex the ankle.

So the question to all becomes, Do you know what all the different terms for sales ads mean when you're looking at a horse?

Ankle jewelry is not an actual ankle bracelet.

Wind issues doesn't mean it spooks in a tornado.

Cloudiness in his eye doesn't mean it's a reflection of the clouds in the sky...

And so on....

So what don't you know or what terms have thrown you off?

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, in my recent adventures in horse shopping land, I did collect a few favorites....
    * Event prospect (from a jumper barn) = Won't jump the big sticks, but can be ridden in a snaffle without killing you. Inside, at least.
    * Event prospect (from a dressage barn) = Won't go FEI, but can be hacked out without killing you. Up and down the driveway, at least.
    * Event prospect (from a hunter barn) = doesn't seem to understand changes, but you people don't care about that sort of thing, right?
    * Event prospect (from a foxhunting barn) = good looking, likes to jump, but "not a cocktail horse" (translation - cannot go hunting on this horse while drinking a martini and smoking a cigarette).
    I bought that one.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

7 members found this post helpful.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

As the OP of that other thread, I feel compelled to mention... the video shows that the horse has SOME level of flexion (watch carefully when he turns the corner at the walk), and the ad strongly emphasized he was sound on his old osselets, so I made that assumption, as did at least one other person who posted on that thread. I also mentioned I thought he looked a bit sore on the concrete. Already having concerns about future soundness (it's why I started the thread), his ankles are something I would have checked out carefully. I still might go have a look at him if he is still available; he's only an hour from me.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Well, if I'm horse-shopping with a friend, the code for "let's get out of here, this is a waste of time" is

"He takes my breath away." (unsaid: and not in a good way!)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

5 members found this post helpful.

On Craigslist, 16+ hands = 15'2 at best
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hey101 View Post
    As the OP of that other thread, I feel compelled to mention... the video shows that the horse has SOME level of flexion (watch carefully when he turns the corner at the walk), and the ad strongly emphasized he was sound on his old osselets, so I made that assumption, as did at least one other person who posted on that thread. I also mentioned I thought he looked a bit sore on the concrete. Already having concerns about future soundness (it's why I started the thread), his ankles are something I would have checked out carefully. I still might go have a look at him if he is still available; he's only an hour from me.

I'm of the view that not everything put into a sales ad means what it says. In this case...I'd go look at the horse in person, if I liked him, have him vetted starting with his ankles and le a professional vet tell me if the ankles look like a problem for my intended purposes with the horse.

I take that view with ALL horses and ads...in other words, I don't really care what the ads say. Of course I haven't looked at a horse in an ad in years....typically find horses from people or dealers that I personally know. I'm usually buying green....so go off my own eyes and PPE anyway. Of course the latest horse I didn't vet but then she was a free not yet 3 year old who I watched move sound. She's going out with my homebred 3 year old....and I consider them both the same level of risk but one has cost me more already (in breeding/vet costs and housing since she was born)
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Well, if I'm horse-shopping with a friend, the code for "let's get out of here, this is a waste of time" is

Funny - we use "loft" in regards to its jump or its stride which stands for "lack of #$%ing talent". Also useful in crowds or conversations in which you can't say the horse is a piece of crap outloud!

6 members found this post helpful.

Here are some favorites from my recent horse shopping adventures:

Mild arthritis in ankle, should not cause any problems (current ad) = I spent over $850 to vet check this horse and the vet found SEVERE arthritis

Mild arthritis discovered during routine check-up (current ad) = discovered during a very expensive PPE in which the vet explicitly told the rescue no jumping (and even did pro-bono rads of the other ankle for them)

Would make great hunter/jumper or novice eventer (current ad) = has never gone over a cross-rail in it's life; vet specifically explicitly said NOT recommenced for jumping of any kind

Good children's prospect = so hot can barely handle a flat walk, but nice ground manners (I supposed the child will only want to brush his tail, never ride)

Extensively re-trained from track = has been lounged once or twice in side reins and/or been hacked in an arena a few times by a seventeen year old volunteer who only works Saturdays

May need a little chiropractic adjustment or something = dead lame, no idea why and not inclined to find out

Reasonably priced, call to inquire = $10-20k

Just a little foot sore, it's probably the footing (awkward laugh) = dead lame, no idea why and not inclined to find out

Has a minor bucking problem, but it only happens 1 out of 4 times he's ridden (Oh, and I'm too scared to ride him but since you've driven 2.5 hours I'm sure you'll want to hop on) = saddle up, bronc riders, it's gonna be a wild ride! (also, am positive horse had pain and poorly fit saddle)

Face palm. Happy hunting, everyone!

steady = very, very slow
    lazy = its a nappy SOB and no one can get it to leave the center of the ring
    more whoa than go = lazy, see above
    more go than whoa = hahaha, have fun
    owner unable to ride = because the horse has killed her
    requires experienced rider = nuts. Totally nutting fucks.
    beginner friendly = its lazy (see above), its too old to care, or its too lame to buck anyone off anymore
    pretty = pretty useless
    elegant = you can dump all the feed into it you want, it'll never hold weight
    show quality = don't ever take it out of the ring. Ever.
    home bred = I bred the devil, please make it go away now
    has pony moments = it will be a saint one moment and the devil the next

Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post

My code: "Isn't s/he special?"

Lol corky, I love it!

Some of these make me lol. I know the sales terms but people lie or tend not to say it even when asked directly.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Some "low end" horse shopping with a friend led us to compile the following list:

"Hunter prospect" = a green horse that is pretty.
    "Eventing prospect" = big green horse that seemed happy when they put it over a cross rail.
    "Fox hunting prospect" = really big hairy horse that seemed happy when they put it over a cross rail.
    "Dressage prospect" = big green horse that freaked out when they put it over a cross rail.
    "Jumper prospect" = jumps out of its paddock on a regular basis.
    "10++++ mover!!!" = looks really pretty when it's running away from you when you are trying to catch it.
    "Athletic" = bucks like a SOB.
    "Scopey!!" = jumps out if the paddock on a regular basis.
    "Totally bombproof!!!" depends on age: older horse = close to 30; middle aged horse = dead lame; young horse = half starved.
    "Always in the ribbons!!" = I showed it in 2 divisions at the local saddle club against 4 other horses.
    "Make up the way you want!" = I haven't done a goddamn thing with this horse.
    "Needs a confident rider" = dirty stopper.

Any ad that is <150 words and uses up most of them to say how good the horse is in the crossties/ for the farrier/ for the vet/ loves peppermints = I haven't done a goddamn thing with this horse.

needs light maintenance: ranges from a daily feed-through supplement to quarterly injections, adequan, legend, chiro, massage, and daily prayer to keep sound...

6 members found this post helpful.

Asterix, I love your "cocktail horse" description! From now on, that's the question to ask the seller: "Can I smoke a cigarette and drink a martini while on board him/her?"
    I confess, I finished up my cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee the other day walking my horse through the pasture to the dressage ring. Does that qualify him as a "hangover horse?"

4 members found this post helpful.

Ahhhh, low end horse shopping is the worst. You just have to laugh in order not to cry. I don't need a martini horse, but I need a martini after a day of visits!

Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Some "low end" horse shopping with a friend led us to compile the following list:

"Hunter prospect" = a green horse that is pretty.
    "Eventing prospect" = big green horse that seemed happy when they put it over a cross rail.
    "Fox hunting prospect" = really big hairy horse that seemed happy when they put it over a cross rail.
    "Dressage prospect" = big green horse that freaked out when they put it over a cross rail.
    "Jumper prospect" = jumps out of its paddock on a regular basis.
    "10++++ mover!!!" = looks really pretty when it's running away from you when you are trying to catch it.
    "Athletic" = bucks like a SOB.
    "Scopey!!" = jumps out if the paddock on a regular basis.
    "Totally bombproof!!!" depends on age: older horse = close to 30; middle aged horse = dead lame; young horse = half starved.
    "Always in the ribbons!!" = I showed it in 2 divisions at the local saddle club against 4 other horses.
    "Make up the way you want!" = I haven't done a goddamn thing with this horse.
    "Needs a confident rider" = dirty stopper.

Any ad that is <150 words and uses up most of them to say how good the horse is in the crossties/ for the farrier/ for the vet/ loves peppermints = I haven't done a goddamn thing with this horse.
    You missed one--"up to date on shots and shoes." Pfffffffttttt!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    Asterix, I love your "cocktail horse" description! From now on, that's the question to ask the seller: "Can I smoke a cigarette and drink a martini while on board him/her?"
    I confess, I finished up my cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee the other day walking my horse through the pasture to the dressage ring. Does that qualify him as a "hangover horse?"
    I do think the hangover horse is a highly underrated horse!
    I can't take credit for the "not a cocktail horse" -- that is how he was described by the foxhunter barn he came from -- but I agree it is awesome!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

schooling Prelim - jumped a big rolltop once

whoops, posted twice!