The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Oh, my God. The blog is hilarious.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    Thanks for the aversion therapy tip, y'all. I thought about it last summer when a similar near-miss occurred, then promptly forgot to do it because winter happened and all the snakes flew south.
    FLYING snakes??? Oh god oh god oh god . . . .thanks for the preview of tonight's nightmare.

Given OP's storytelling gift, I am waiting impatiently for the blow by blow description of the dog's snake aversion therapy -- and especially the therapist. Pictures &/or video would be great!

I like non-poisonous snakes. I found a little snake down in the barn, and I put on leather gloves and caught it - holding it behind the head and called my husband to help me ID. I was pretty sure it was non-poisonous given that it's head was round and not diamond shaped (and it wasn't a coral snake), but I wanted DH to shine a flashlight, so I could confirm round pupils. OMG, we've been married 20+ years, and I had no idea he had such an aversion to snakes. He was convinced it was a cotton mouth and was shouting "off w/ its' head". I got my way, and what I determined was a rat snake was set free on the other side of the fence. During my online research to convince DH that it was NOT a cotton mouth, I did learn that non-poisonous water snakes will flatten themselves to try to look like cotton mouths.

Here is some good info for snake identification -
    http://www.trails.com/identify-snakes.html

Obviously, if you are out and about off of your property, leave snakes alone. But, on my farm, people & pets come first; but I am not going to kill a non-poisonous snake nor am I going to relocate a poisonous one. I am still cracking up over my husband's reaction to my cute, little rat snake. In the scheme of things, our poisonous snakes here are not as scary as the Mojave Green that I lived in fear of as a kid in CA or the "Habu" in Okinawa, Japan. I am a lot more terrified of poisonous spiders - our last place was black widow central, and in Japan, I lived in fear of the Mukade -
    http://thejapans.wordpress.com/2011/...ese-centipede/

Seriously freaking creepy, the Mukade!!!
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    FLYING snakes??? Oh god oh god oh god . . . .thanks for the preview of tonight's nightmare.
    Oh my god, I have already had that nightmare.... After finding a giant rat snake draped across the tray of my white board and subsequently peeing my breeches-not kidding... I dreamed that snakes crawled out of my shavings bin, then took flight, kinda like the flying monkeys scene from "The Wizzard of Oz"....
    West of nowhere

1 members found this post helpful.

As someone who regularly checks toilets for snakes and pools for sharks, I thought I had imagined all the ways there were for potential animal-related deaths. Then two summers ago I was on my bike when I saw a bird flying WITH A SNAKE IN ITS MOUTH! Never in all my shark-attack-in-the-shower fantasies had I considered the possibility of aerial snake encounters. So there is a new fear for you, Snugglerug.

2 members found this post helpful.

There are several videos on 'snake avoidance dog training' on You tube. Basically, someone catches a rattlesnake, puts it in a clear Tupperwear type box with holes to let the snake's scent out, the dog (wearing a shock collar) is allowed to investigate the box. As soon as the dog gets 3 feet from the box he gets a hard Zap on the collar, (the dog has to be focused on the snake when he is zapped). When the dog jumps away from the snake /shock he gets praise and a treat. Repeat, until lesson is learned. This must be done for each type of ven. snake because they all smell different. It really should be done by a trainer with experience, or a tough/game dog will become a snake-hunter (dead dog).
    Sorry just saw training is scheduled, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    As someone who regularly checks toilets for snakes and pools for sharks, I thought I had imagined all the ways there were for potential animal-related deaths. Then two summers ago I was on my bike when I saw a bird flying WITH A SNAKE IN ITS MOUTH! Never in all my shark-attack-in-the-shower fantasies had I considered the possibility of aerial snake encounters. So there is a new fear for you, Snugglerug.
    A friend took this picture of a hawk with it's breakfast, daring anyone to comment:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan168September052009.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	37952  

I like snakes, but the biggest thing we have around me is an eastern hognose.
    The first time I saw an adult, I mean pushing 3 feet. he was making a sound like air going out of a tire and flattening his head like a cobra.
    Big tough guy, the minute my back was turned to go get the camera he was off across the yard.
    I had a GSD years ago that was a very brave dog, But for some reason she had an aversion to snakes, I would say get the snake! and she would look at me like, sorry ma I don't do snakes.
    Now the cats, that is another story. Of course if I lived in rattle snake country my brave would go right down the toilet!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    Oh boy. We have lots of big birds of prey around here. So now it can actually rain snakes from the sky. That's very, very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    Oh boy. We have lots of big birds of prey around here. So now it can actually rain snakes from the sky. That's very, very bad.
    You know if one dropped out of the sky on me, I could seriously lose my mind!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Once they catch 'em, I doubt they're going to drop 'em.

I once was sitting on my porch & got to watch a large Red-Tailed Hawk fly by with a large (had to be around 4' long) Black Rat Snake in its talons (obviously dead). Since it was the season for it, couldn't help but think it was bringing it back to its nest for youngsters' lunch.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Oy, dear Crone - you are facing in a Major Way what I experience every time I find evidence of a coon/skunk or (Lord of EPM Forfend!) possum in my barn.
    I worry one of the barncats will become more Snack then Defender.

I worry the same worry when one of them goes Walkabout overnight, adding in the possibility of coyote predation.

I too have experience with Labs and serpents.
    In my case the lab-mix found himself a hog-nosed pit viper & danced the Retriever Dance of Joy all around it before I could get there to see what he'd found.
    I about fainted since I was sure this was the venomous kind, and I'd end up in the middle of nowhere with 90# of poisoned dog.
    Fortunately for us both it was the non-venomous cousin of the puff-adder that uses the defense of playing dead instead of striking.
    It flopped over, belly-up, only after making like a King cobra - rearing up and spreading it's ribs - giving me apoplexy (an apoplexy?).

I hope the snake training works for your dogs.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Oy, dear Crone - you are facing in a Major Way what I experience every time I find evidence of a coon/skunk or (Lord of EPM Forfend!) possum in my barn.
    I worry one of the barncats will become more Snack then Defender.

I worry the same worry when one of them goes Walkabout overnight, adding in the possibility of coyote predation.

I too have experience with Labs and serpents.
    In my case the lab-mix found himself a hog-nosed pit viper & danced the Retriever Dance of Joy all around it before I could get there to see what he'd found.
    I about fainted since I was sure this was the venomous kind, and I'd end up in the middle of nowhere with 90# of poisoned dog.
    Fortunately for us both it was the non-venomous cousin of the puff-adder that uses the defense of playing dead instead of striking.
    It flopped over, belly-up, only after making like a King cobra - rearing up and spreading it's ribs - giving me apoplexy (an apoplexy?).

I hope the snake training works for your dogs.
    I do not think there is any such thing as a hog nose pit viper! LOL
    http://www.kidzone.ws/lw/snakes/facts11.htm
    Last edited by Sannois; Apr. 11, 2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    This happened to my sister. She was lounging under a tree at the local wildflower park, enjoying nature's vernal bounty, when suddenly a rough green snake plopped right onto her shoulder. To say that this event sent her completely over the edge would be to vastly understate the case.

Rough greens are my favorites, though. Brilliant color, and despite having neither hands nor feet they are exquisite tree climbers.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Not that I have much of a mind to start with, but the two functional brain cells I have would *poof*

Just a side-note: I don't know where 2Dogs is posting from, but in the US there are no adders of any kind, puff or otherwise. Hog-nose snakes can flatten their "necks" to assume a cobra-like strike-pose, and some will actually hiss, but all species are non-venomous, and they are essentially wussies. They do roll onto their backs and play dead when you mess with'em. They eat only toads. I love those things!
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

I think we'd all be happier if, instead of training the dogs, someone would go out and apply dog, horse, and human aversion training to all of the snakes. Of course that still leaves the problem of snakes being dropped on people by birds.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh my God! I would be terrified to let my dog out ever again if it came that close to getting bitten by a rattle snake. And I would have been soiling myself while I was trying to get my dog to come to me.

If a snake fell on me from the sky or a tree, you would have to commit me to the loony bin, if I didn't die of a heart attack that is.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

Love those birds - wouldn't dream of touching its breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    A friend took this picture of a hawk with it's breakfast, daring anyone to comment:

I'd visit you in the sanitarium.