The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coil Embolization for Guttural Pouch Mycosis

Has anyone else had this done on one of their horses? Dr. Joanne Hardy did mine at Ohio State back in 2001.

Horsey went on to foxhunt several seasons and now at age 22 is a great W/T schoolhorse. After a recent power floating, we found her with an elevated heart rate, and wonder whether the floating (even done correctly) might have heated up the coils. Resolved in 30 hours.

Just curious whether anyone else has had other interesting followup experiences. Obviously, very pleased with the results of the surgery going on twelve years now.

OK I realize the title is odd, but this thread is not a joke.

Anyone....

crickets...peepers....

Never heard of this surgery --- but then, I've only dealt with one horse with gutteral pouch mycosis, and this was farther back that your horse had the surgery. At that time, they had no cure. If anyone isn't familiar with this, let's just say that the first time a friend's horse gave any sign of having it, a bunch of us left the barn late that night looking like victims of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. I am still grateful that I didn't get pulled over by the police that night.

We did it on several horses while I worked at New Bolton Center. Outcomes were good at the time, although I don't have any long term data to share.

I'm really glad to hear your horse is doing well! As for the heating the coils and elevating heart rate, THAT I have no idea about... It would sound unlikely to me, though. I would think the elevated heart rate would be more a result of stress and age and possible residual soreness from floating.

Guttural pouch mycosis just sucks.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

I had no idea that there was any way to treat gpm other than antibiotics. While I have no words of wisdom, I thank you for alerting me to treatment. I never want to lose another to gpm