The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What kind of halter is this?

Oh wise COTHers.. help me before I go insane....

I've googled all morning and can't find out what style halter this is, or who sells it/makes it.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...78030251_n.jpg

The unique thing about it is that it has a snap at the chin as well as at the throatlatch. To me it seems dangerous, what if it were to get caught on something? That chin piece gets undone and the horse is practically free.

There are no stamps or brands on it. It was given to me and the person doesn't remember how/where they got it. They said it's kind of like an emergency halter if you need to catch a bridled horse you can halter them with out undoing the bridle/reins...

Let me say- I've worked at tack shops, have been around horses for almost 30 years and have seen my share of halters... but this one stumps me. It's not a "track" halter or a "grooming" halter. I've looked up "trail" halter (what friend called it) and can't seem to find anything like it.

Any thought? TIA!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I would label it as a convertible grooming halter. I am probably wrong but that's what it looks like to me?

Edited to add - Never mind, I just looked at it again. I have no idea!
    Last edited by RheinlandPfalzSaar; Apr. 8, 2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: To add

That's what I though it was at first. I asked the other horsie people who work here... they are stumped too...

Maybe it was made custom for someone? If that was the cause you'd think they'd have a brand or a stamp on it.

I forgot to add the other side of the throat latch is attached, it's hard to see in the photo.
    Last edited by Belleaphant; Apr. 8, 2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added info.
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

It looks pretty decent quality.

Total long shot here but I wonder if it was a custom job made for a competitive carriage driver? We quite often put halters on over the bridle while standing/hitching, and I do seem to remember some talk on the carriage driving lists a while back about someone who was making custom halters with clips or *something* like that. I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention - I was using ones w/ adjustable chin straps at the time so kind of skimmed past it!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Could be... It makes sense. It is pretty nice quality, too bad my horses have a really big or really little head. Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

That's it!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Turns out its true what my father always said "you learn something new every day"

In the driving world, halters which can be removed after bridling are very popular- but I don't really understand the design of this one. The one most driver's like is the English/Australian design with the buckle on the top of the noseband, or... like this improved version with the buckle set off to the side:

http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/hal/S...chLeather.html

This style lets you drop the halter downward- while I think having to lift the halter up through the bridle (as the original example seems to be) would be harder as it seems you would have to do a lot of shifting. Maybe I'm not properly envisioning how it functions.

Quillan's in Paris KY can make one for you.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    In the driving world, halters which can be removed after bridling are very popular- but I don't really understand the design of this one. The one most driver's like is the English/Australian design with the buckle on the top of the noseband, or... like this improved version with the buckle set off to the side:

http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/hal/S...chLeather.html

This style lets you drop the halter downward- while I think having to lift the halter up through the bridle (as the original example seems to be) would be harder as it seems you would have to do a lot of shifting. Maybe I'm not properly envisioning how it functions.
    Horse Cents custom made two of these just a few months back. Great for tacking up at shows! I am surprised they aren't more popular.
    Cindy

Just was web searching and came across this thread...

Correct, that is a Brid-OVR (tm) Halter...I invented and hold US patent on the design and own the trademark name. They are quite popular and I DO sell quite a bit of them. I keep the price down by decreasing the advertising to the Web and around holiday time.

They are all handmade and can be custom sized. It is a little bit more than "just" an added clip. The leather measurements are such to permit easy bridling and unbridling as well as allowing the unclipping of either the throatlatch or nose to allow for grooming ease, without the horse being able to slip out, as in a grooming halter. They are made of harness leather, versus bridle leather due to increased suppleness and durability.

Available for purchase with matching lead shanks, with removeable hardware on the website, as noted above.

It is a very neat design. Looks like it would come in very handy.