The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First CT! (starter - pics!)

Yesterday, Moo and I completed our first CT! We've been going and doing flat schools or dressage at this 2 phase the last couple months, but I finally worked up my nerve to jump.

It was cold and rainy and generally just WET, but so much fun anyhow! I screwed up in dressage by going off course almost immediately after getting in the ring, and I let him break from the canter. I needed to soften and give a bit more to get the relaxed swingy trot that usually gets us good scores. Going off course really chaps me because I have the test memorized inside and out, and I was doing my first circle going "wait, F is at the other end!", and the canter was on his strong lead. Regardless, we had 57 points after dressage (62%).

Stadium started a half hour earlier than my coach thought, so we looked up and saw stadium running and hustled to get on. After standing around 90 minutes and being soaked to the bone, it took a bit to get Moo going again. Our plan was to trot the course (my first!), but in warmups he was really sucked back. Regardless, our turn came up pretty quick.

As we entered the stadium ring, Moo was making his little diesel engine snorts with every stride and nervous about this ring he hadn't had a chance to check out. He's normally dead quiet and honest to stadium fences (at least at home and the two other venues I've done some warmup jumps at). I trotted around a bit before and after my salute to try and give him a chance to look, but first fence and he pittered out basically to a stop. I put my leg back on and he tried to pop over it anyhow, but took the rail. The rest of the course was still pretty sucked back but he took me around. He normally likes to canter away from fences but our first round was almost entirely trot, both in and out. We finished with 4 jump faults and 2.25 time faults.

There were only 4 in our division, and the leader after dressage had an unfortunate elimination in stadium, so we bumped up to 2nd. We did an additional schooling round where I rode more confidently and more forward, and Moo cantered lots more of the course.

We were also fortunate that there was a younger gal getting into photography there, who was shooting just for practice, so I have photos!

I know I need to wait more with my hips, and keep my lower leg from slipping back a bit. Some photos had my hands planted too close in to my body. Little things to work on -- we have no plans to move up!

Dressage:

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/allym...9f274.jpg.html

Stadium

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/allym...5d0f2.jpg.html

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/allym...e0750.jpg.html

And my favourite photo:

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/allym...8f4cb.jpg.html

All photo credits to AD Photographics

1 members found this post helpful.

Congrats! Moo sure is cute!!!
    You can't fix stupid.

Very cute pair
    No Worries!

Awww! Congrats!! Your pics are super. Great feeling to stick the landing on your first CT, isn't it?

Video next time, please.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Thanks! I bought him planning to do dressage, but given his history as a little jumper, he's made my foray into jumping and eventing doable, safe and fun!

The lovely woman who hauled Moo this weekend forwarded this pic of us, and commented that she wished she'd thought to video my second round for me. Next time!

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/allym...6d37b.jpg.html

Congrats! We've only done one CT and have our first of the season this weekend. You guys look great and Moo is adorable!

He's a cutie! What breed is he and how big is he? Congrats on completing your first event! Be careful or you'll get hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeHorseNight View Post
    He's a cutie! What breed is he and how big is he? Congrats on completing your first event! Be careful or you'll get hooked.

Thanks, Moo is a 15.2h 11 yo PMU gelding. Mostly paint, maybe a smidge of draft or TB, as he's got characteristics of both. He's a great horse -- great brain but still quite sensitive, pony personality!