The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Missing package- rant & request for help

I was super excited to find myself a pair of Romfh Wellington Side Zip Euro Seat breeches, beige, in just my size (32 long) on sale at Victory Canter last week for only $60.00!!! So I ordered that and a RH Warrenton Coolmax Wrap Neck Show shirt, white size 36, and a pair of black Roma open front boots, which were all supposedly delivered to my house at 3:38 PM on Saturday, April 6th by the good ole United States Postal Service...except that they weren't No package, and now I'm out $143.00 for nothing after my "bargain" shopping spree. Don't get me wrong, this in no way a negative review for Victory Canter- they shipped quickly and the prices were great- this is purely a rant against the USPS! This is the second time in 4 months, that a package has been "delivered" to my single family home on a Saturday afternoon and then gone missing....and I live in a quiet rural neighborhood with apparently, according to the police officer who filed a report for me, no recent rashes of mail theft. The last time it happened was Dec. 8th with my 1 year old's birthday invites, which the shipper kindly replaced for me. Both times the same mail carrier was on duty. So, I am hoping that if I badger the post office enough and threaten a formal complaint against that particular carrier that the box may curiously appear. On the more realistic side, the police officer advised that I keep an eye out on Craig's list for the items and notify them if anything turns up. Unfortunately, they will not be canvassing the neighborhood for my missing package
    I will be keeping tabs on the Lancaster, PA Craig's List and a couple surrounding areas, but if any of you are out there perusing CL yourself in the next few weeks and happen to come across items simlar to those mentioned above, particularly if they're through the same seller, please let me know!
    Thank you in advance...here's for hopeful thinking

Did you tell Victory Canter?

I once had a box go missing from SmartPak. It said online that it had been delivered, but nothing was there! I called SmartPak and thet re-sent the shipment at no additional cost.

Now, this was the first (and so far only) time that this had every happened. I'd assume that a history of packages gone missing wouldn't get the same treatment, but I was THRILLED by the response.

I think the stores have some sort of insurace for that sort of thing, or they just don't mind if it happens once in a while to keep their customers happy.

So I'd see if Victory canter will replace the order.

OP, use allofcraigs.com to search more than just your area .
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

3 members found this post helpful.

Why wait to file a formal complaint with the postal service? Just file it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Call the post office and complain to the supervisor.

I would also call the shipper and let them know.

Thanks for the tip, TheJenners!
    I did e-mail Victory Canter and asked if they insure their packages, but for now the response was to check with the post office and see if it turns up but keep them aprised. Even if they do replace the other 2 items, I know the breeches were the last pair in stock, so not sure if they would go as far as a cash refund.
    The manager of the post office is aware of the issue, and is researching it. I didn't mess around this time and demanded to speak with the manager immediately, because the last time a counter person tried to make little out of my complaint. I'll keep calling her back for an update until the carrier is back on duty tomorrow so that they know I am not letting this one slide. Unfortunately, it's a small town and we are acquaintances of the carrier. I'm really hoping to give him a chance to produce the thing before I go jeopardizing his career. Although, I think USPS workers are union and I know he's a long time employee, so that probably wouldn't be the case anyway.

As a union member, he may or may not lose his job if he's falsely saying packages are delivered...and, um, aren't. But he can still face disciplinary action, including loss of wages.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    But he can still face disciplinary action, including loss of wages.
    As he should if he is messing up like this (note I said IF he is messing up).

Did you get delivery information by pulling up the tracking number or is that what the post office told you? I'm not sure what post office can do if it was actually dropped off. The couple of experiences I've had with lost packages, the post office was really lacking in providing any help. Maybe Victory Canter can help you out.

Default I guess I'd have it shipped to my office or held at the post office

If it had happened before.

I have stuff sent to my POE during the week. While I'm there.

Much, much easier.

Are you sure one of your neighbors or their help isn't stealing them?

2 members found this post helpful.

Unfortunately if you just have a delivery confirmation (vs. a sign for) package, it's impossible to tell whether the PO worker scanned then stole your package as you suspect, or if someone else took it while it was sitting outside.

When similar has happened to me the PO has been no help. But FWIW several times my package was delivered to nearby but not neighboring address, and it took a while for them to take the time to find me and return it to a stranger.

I feel your pain, having dealt with a similar USPS problem carrier in the past. You might check with your neighbors in case it was left on their porch instead. We get stuff on our front porch and might not notice for days as we never use that door! The worst was when we all had mailboxes (individual regular boxes mounted on a rail) out at the road. The imbecile carrier would leave packages sitting out there on top of the mailboxes, in plain view right on the road, where anyone could just pick them off unseen as we all live down a private road. I lost several items, post office was NO help, and we could not get the carrier to stop. I still wonder if she was a closet equestrian fashion freak and wearing all my stuff...

I hope Victory Canter can help you out. We had to go to a big locking multi box thing, and the carrier (a new one) still misdelivers all the time. My favorite is when he leaves the entire front of the box unlocked so anyone can take all 15 residents' mail and packages. Once is forgivable, but he does it on a regular basis!

A friend recently had a spate of missing deliveries. Turns out the neighbor's dog was misappropriating the packages and hiding them under the (neighbor's) deck.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

8 members found this post helpful.

I can pull up the tracking report on the USPS website, and it says delivered at 15:28:00 on April 6, 2013. This mail carrier usually leaves packages on our side porch, which is not visible from the street. Although the last time it was just an envelope size package, which would've fit in our mailbox out front, but that went missing too. Our neighbors that have a plain view of the side porch are a very nice family with a young (not teenage) child. Even someone walking by on the side walk would have to stop and go out of their way to walk down our walkway and look for something, and we are very much known as the house that has the crazy dogs that bark their heads off if you come near it Also, as I said, the police station has not had any reports of a rash of mail theft. My Smartpaks come every month, supplies for my husband's business, even my horse & pet feed that gets delivered has been left out there for a couple days with no issues. I'm not so much thinking the mail carrier would steal it as much as get careless with when/where it was delivered, scanned, etc. Okay, so I don't really know how to rationalize what I think that means could have happened, but I'm sure Dec. 8th was a hectic mail day before the Holidays, and this Saturday it sure was a nice day to get off work early.....
    And curiously both times I call to question the said delivery, the carrier is off and can't be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    A friend recently had a spate of missing deliveries. Turns out the neighbor's dog was misappropriating the packages and hiding them under the (neighbor's) deck.
    Funny! I don't know of any dogs that are allowed to run loose in our neighborhood though. But I did send my husband home early today to go looking around neighbors porches to see if anyone maybe put it out for pick-up after a Saturday misdelivery. Fingers crossed!

My UPS guy delivered a $1,200 saddle to my neighbors. At least they are neighbor's we get along with. DH went down and found it before they were home.
    I was on the phone with Dover after I saw the delivery notice and didn't have a saddle. We checked all the doors first.

I am at 64 Holly street and we get mail from the cross street for 64 Rabbithare street all the time. We also got it from 64 Holly street the next town over.

Maybe check with some close neighbors and neighbors on nearby streets with the same house numbers. I was really quick to deliver the misdelivered mail to the next town over since it was obviously from a military post in Afghanistan. I sometimes take a couple of days for the cross street since it tends to be catalogs and junk mail.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I'm very sympathetic to your experience (imagine this happening with a custom saddle that is shown as delivered to a non-existing address in a town that is NOT the town clearly listed on the shipping label - & as you guessed, the actual carrier was "not available")

Unfortunately the only effective solution is choosing the delivery options that include
    1) signature required to complete delivery
    2) insurance to cover declared value of item should package be lost, damaged etc

It's customary for the purchaser to choose (& pay) for these options rather than the vendor, further the prospective purchaser often needs to make the request (I've never had a vendor suggest the signature though most will suggest insurance, but then I've read the fine print on the insurance & it is only valid in conjunction with the signature ... )

Ugh, Canada Post is bad for this, too. Apparently things get scanned randomly or not at all. I once went to the post office to ask about a package that I had not received, the tracking info said it was still at the post office it was mailed from, that PO swore it had left...lady went looking in the back, found the parcel. Nobody had scanned it along its route as they are supposed to, and if I had not claimed it, they would have returned it to the sender...EVEN THOUGH NOONE TOLD ME IT HAD ARRIVED.

I hate shipping stuff. UPS/FedEx/Purolator are no better in my tiny town. We need teleportation, now.

I recently had this happen with my cat's flea medication. I bought a years worth at once and it never arrived. USPS was no help (when is a carrier going to voluntarily say he misdelivered a package?) and the company I purchased it from said "Too Bad" because they had a delivery confirmation from the USPS.

Thankfully, I had purchased it through Amazon and used their A-to-Z guarantee and got my money back. Or actually, will get my money back. The return hasn't gone through yet.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"