The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding the yearling Warmblood

I've read a couple of interesting, contradictory, things about this. What are Warmblood breeders / owners favorite feeds for young, growing WB's and why?

Thanks!!!!

I feed mine Triple Crown 30% and lots of high quality hay. They tend to be easy keepers, at least mine do, and this ensures they are getting good nutrition without excess calories. Has worked very well for me.

We don't have Warmbloods, but also feed our yearlings Triple Crown feed. I would also suggest checking on the Sport Horse Breeders forum, you may have more feedback from breeders who raise their babies.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for the hunters, dressage, in-hand, and more!

Ditto the ration balancer and free choice hay, even mixing in some alf if he's not a super easy keeper.

Mine has been raised on Progressive Grass Balancer, recently switching to Tribute Essential K due to cost ($42 vs $31).

If your new guy (so excited for you!) needs more calories, then Triple Crown Growth, hands down. I'm assuming you can get TC - ?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay, JB. I almost sent you a message to ask you but I didn't want to bother you! :-). I was actually thinking of the TC Growth. I had my mare on TC feeds and loved the way she was on them.

Thanks for the replies!

I do free choice hay, and Ultium Growth. Unfortunately, we don't have any (grass) pasture where my youngstock is at in Arizona so I've got to really work at keeping their feed balanced. Oh for some Kentucky bluegrass!

I'm enjoying reading these. By the time my filly got to me at 2 1/2 my vet loved the grain she'd been on in Florida (low carb, good nutrition) in addition to her pasture feed, but we didn't have that option here. She was doing her best imitation of a weed so needed extra nutrition to keep from getting too underweight, and we started feeding her beet pulp plus a higher protein/lower carb grain we can get here, a small amount of alfalfa and basically free feed bermuda.

I agree with DFF about it being too bad we don't have actual grass here...

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I do free choice hay, and Ultium Growth. Unfortunately, we don't have any (grass) pasture where my youngstock is at in Arizona so I've got to really work at keeping their feed balanced. Oh for some Kentucky bluegrass!
    Now I'm curious if I know you!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I feed a ration balancer and timothy pellets.

I did a double-take at your title. My mind read, "Feeding the Yearling warm blood."

2 members found this post helpful.

Has anyone used the ADM RB, Grostrong Mintrate?
    I am currently using Progressive Grass Balancer, but have been wondering about the ADM line.

http://www.moormans.com/Horse/Produc...20Mintrate.htm

My baby has been on Progressive Nutritions Pro Advantage Grass Diet Balancer and Envision Classic plus Speedibeet...he looks wonderful! I also add in a cup of Triple Crown Complete or Senior-what ever. I have on hand to sweeten it up for him

6lb, their rb is quite nice I have not personally used it, but I know several folks who have used it for quite a while and their horses are lovely.

Thanks JB. I was interested to see the amino acids they put in it listed, but not finding that info anywhere. I may have to contact them..

I feed TC 30% and my horses eat alfalfa and bermuda and have good pasture to chew on when turned out.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

My boy was raised on TC 30% and some whole oats (for extra calories and ito keep him busy mostly) and 24/7 access to grass or hay with Seminole grass balance mineral sup. I think he was 2 when I switched him to TC Complete. He's a BIG boy with massive bone, standing just under 18hh now that he's 6. He had nice steady growth and no problems along the way :-D
    Y'all ain't right!