The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Studs - using them for the first time the week before an event?

Forecast for this weekend is rain. Rider is going Training level for only the second time. Horse is shod all around. Ground is a red clay base and the course can be hilly.

We're considering using studs on our horse for the first time for this event, but these 5 days before the event starts will be the first time he's ever had studs on.

Help a stud-newbie out with your recommendations if this is a dumb idea or not! We're only considering using them for xcountry.

And yes, I've read (and printed out) some of those great threads referenced in the Eventing faqs/stickies.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Carolinadreamin'; Apr. 8, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Do NOT use them for the first time AT the event. If you can get them on and see how the horse goes with them before, then ok, but using them first at the event is asking for trouble.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Do NOT use them for the first time AT the event. If you can get them on and see how the horse goes with them before, then ok, but using them first at the event is asking for trouble.

Yep, definitely! But, we can practice this week out in our trainer's xcountry course and field. Are those few days enough for him to get a feel for them?
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Yes, I only ride in them at lessons/ schools and competitions (maybe 20-30 times per year if the horse has studs April- Oct.) and my horses have never had a problem adjusting. Start with fairly small studs and add more if you need it.

The learning curve is definitely for the person putting them in!

I don't see why they can't be used for the first time at an event, provided the studs are not gigantically over-sized for the conditions. I am pretty much always a stud minimalist, though--my observations are that my studs are always 1-2 sizes smaller than what everyone else is using.

I'd rather have small studs in than nothing if the footing is iffy. I've never felt like a horse I've had studs on had "too much" traction.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I don't see why they can't be used for the first time at an event, provided the studs are not gigantically over-sized for the conditions. I am pretty much always a stud minimalist, though--my observations are that my studs are always 1-2 sizes smaller than what everyone else is using.

I'd rather have small studs in than nothing if the footing is iffy. I've never felt like a horse I've had studs on had "too much" traction.
    +1
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I did -- about a week before we went training, I put studs in for a ride so my horse could get used to a slightly different feel, especially going down a hill to a jump. That way, the event wouldn't be his first time. So I think you're approach is just fine.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I really appreciate the advice.