The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Am I the only one.....??

Who feels like cross country never takes as much time as it actually does? The whole "time flies when you're having fun" phenomenon?

Yesterday, especially, somewhere between 14 and 15, I remember thinking "how are we HERE already?" I was certain we would be WELL under the time (Toby and I are struggling to cruise at training and not prelim speed). As I was walking/jigging/bouncing back to the trailer I was going through my head to be sure I jumped all the jumps. It seemed so quick!

Later on I checked scores. Our time was 5:06...OT was 5:11. There was NO WAY it felt like we were out there for just over 5 minutes!!

I experience this sensation just about every time out.

Is it just me?

Nope. It is not just you. I always feel like I am flying, only to find myself just under or just over the OT. My DH will ask me why I am going so slowly?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

It's amazing to me how much time we spend legging horses up, cleaning tack, driving back and forth... when we actually only compete for twenty minutes!

I sometimes have the "Did I even jump that?" moments too. (Or once in a while, "I'm sure I jumped that! Aargh.")

3 members found this post helpful.

Actually I love it when time seems to stand still. Have only had a few times on XC and stadium, but it always meant pony and I were in total sync.

For me a "quick" XC meant things went well. A "long" XC meant we were in constant "discussion"
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

2 members found this post helpful.

If I wear a watch I am always thrown by the first minute--I feel like I have just been out a few seconds and already the beep. Other than that it varies though. Yesterday, from about fence 12 on my arms were burning (first event of the year--such pony excitement) so time wasn't flying much at all.

It goes by really quickly when you get taken off with and pull up after jump 2!

But yes, it does go by so quickly. It's like getting off the roller coaster and wanting to run back in line to go again.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

For me a "quick" XC meant things went well. A "long" XC meant we were in constant "discussion"
    This may explain why last week's outing didn't have quite the same surreal time warp feeling, as I was either hanging on for dear life or rearranging his molars ("No. REALLY. We ARE NOT jumping into the water at steeplechase speed!!!!!"). Yesterday was much, much more like how it's supposed to be. Exuberant fun, but (mostly) within some degree of smooth control. Mostly.

BMU, I kept seeing you from a distance, but never actually got to say hi!!! That would have totally been an arm burner course. Glad it was our SECOND outing, as I'm pretty sure we would have ran past things with those hills had it been LAST week. The flatness of Morven made me able to direct his warp speed trajectory a lot more easily. Yesterday I had brakes (rode on the hand brake a little, bit at least it worked).

ACME, I pulled up after fence 3 one time last year...that was more just because *I* was riding like an idiot and scaring myself. THAT was a quick ride.

Too funny! I told my SO the same thing yesterday. I got to the next to the last fence and couldn't believe that "it was the next to the last fence!" Now mind you this was BN, but we hadn't been out in 2 years, and I even jumped a couple of N fences in the way.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Haha!! Warp speed trajectory! I saw your trailer so I knew you were there, sorry I missed you! Glad you had a good ride.

That downhill after 2 started it all, got a little rest up the 8-10 hill, then started again with the lower loop. He gets all "these jumps are interrupting my running." Oh well, you give me hope that outing #2 will be calmer.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    ACME, I pulled up after fence 3 one time last year...that was more just because *I* was riding like an idiot and scaring myself. THAT was a quick ride.
    Nah, that's just good horsemanship. Knowing when to pull up is as important as knowing when to tough it out

I'm used to the warp speed, freight train off the tracks, hang on we're going over, bulldozer bully. But the last time was almost a frantic sort of speed. Turns out he was pissed off at the world because his heels hurt. Never took a bad step and never stopped taking me to the jumps (what a soldier).

Some time off, new feet, a content face, and hopefully we'll make it to the END of the course soon (and move back up )

Fun thread, thanks for starting it!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I wish they would make XC courses longer. 5-6 minutes always feels like I've been cheated.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    It's amazing to me how much time we spend legging horses up, cleaning tack, driving back and forth... when we actually only compete for twenty minutes!
    This is SO true!!

Yup, Training, conditioning, cleaning, packing, unpacking, grooming, braiding, etc all for 20 minutes of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Who feels like cross country never takes as much time as it actually does? The whole "time flies when you're having fun" phenomenon?
    I hear you! When I cross the finish line - it always seems like a blink of an eye. I have to think back fence by fence just to check that I jumped everything. It is SUCH A TIME WARP! That is why I LOVE the helmet cams....'cause then I can armchair reride my course when I don't have stress hormones coursing thru my body!

I usually have to run through all the jumps in my head to make sure that I have jumped them.

And to those of you who want XC to be longer - I have just started competing at Combined Driving competitions. The "short" courses are about 25 minutes long - and even with that length of time, I have no idea where the time goes. I get to 20 minutes and wonder where on earth the time went - have I done all the obstacles and loops that I was meant to? Help!!! What happens if I actually am meant to go around that loop another time?

I think that any time we spend with our horses, having fun, always seems like too little time.

At BN/N, I would come in feeling as if I were FLYING around the course, and when I watched it on video would think "who is the pudgy lady on that fat horse cantering around at trotting speed?" 'Cause I KNEW I had looked like KOC at Rolex, flying down a galloping lane -- at least that is what it felt like!

You are definitely not alone!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    I would come in feeling as if I were FLYING around the course, and when I watched it on video would think "who is the pudgy lady on that fat horse cantering around at trotting speed?" 'Cause I KNEW I had looked like KOC at Rolex

Libby
    DITTO!!!!

It is lots of prep for 60/ 3:20 seconds of adrenaline rush!

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post

I sometimes have the "Did I even jump that?" moments too. (Or once in a while, "I'm sure I jumped that! Aargh.")
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    I wish they would make XC courses longer. 5-6 minutes always feels like I've been cheated.
    That's what I usually feel like: THIS IS AWESOME WHOOHOOO...OMG, we're at the last fence already. Well, dang, that was an expensive four and half minutes (yeah, slow is not really in my horses' vocabularies).