The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Buy a mini", they said!!

**This is meant to be humorous...also to vent.**

"I need a companion for my big horse. But I don't want a big feed bill to go with it."

"Buy a mini. They don't eat much or take up much space. Easy to haul around in your stock rack, if you have to."

"Sure, that's what I'll do."

Mini gelding is bought, admittedly without thinking it thoroughly through.

Me to hubby: "We can leave him in the pasture with the hot wire."

Me later, to hubby: "He goes through the hot wire or under it. Maybe we need a real pen for him."

Me, even later, to hubby, who has built first pen: "Well, he bulldozed the fence and is out again, going through the hot wire."

Me, later still, to hubby, who has rebuilt fence and reinforced it: "He bulldozed the fence again!"

Hubby: "*(%$(^#((W*%$%(#^&*#"

Hubby, after cooling off and coming back from hardware store: "I bought some welded wire fencing. That should keep him him."

Me, after hubby had sweated and cussed over rebuilding yet again: "Erm, honey, when you rebuilt the fence, you forgot to put a gate in."

Hubby: "*%(#)(%#*#((*&^%$)) *big breath* *(%$#()%)@("

Me, after hubby builds another gate and hooks up hot wire on top of fencing: "I think this will hold him."

Hubby: "If it doesn't, he goes down the road."

Me: "The *%(#*$# he will!"

So, then I look out and my Sammy, the big horse, couldn't care less about Jack (pony). Matter of fact, Sam ignores pony except to body slam him around and chase him. So much for a companion!!

However, I will say, the last fence hubby put up, with gate, is actually holding the brat in. He can't bulldoze it, nor get his head over the top to mush it down. Now, my Sammy has decided the little short poot is fun to have around and they play, nicely I might add.

HA!!
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

7 members found this post helpful.

I think the whole "mini" terminology is to trick people into forgetting what the little boogers really are...p-o-n- <BLEEP>

Tell your hubby he is a good guy
    & word to the p<BLEEP>y

6 members found this post helpful.

Hehehe!
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

Actually is pretty funny! And yes, hubby sounds like a really good guy.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

"It'll be fun", they said!

6 members found this post helpful.

I heard that too! Get a mini, they said! It'll be fun, they said!
    So I bought a weanling colt! Oliver opens pasture gates regularly. Climbs his no climb fencing, bites at my jeans no matter how much i repremand him and mounts his goat friend's head on occasion.
    Aside from that he is the cutest little thing and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Good luck with him! I wish I could say something positive but it doesn't get easier from here!

5 members found this post helpful.

Half a century ago, before minis were so popular, one of the first serious breeders of minis were nuns in a convent in TX.
    They used to say the minis were God's penitence exercise for them.

16 members found this post helpful.

I love my mini. Bulldozer is the perfect description.

Mini = all the evil of a pony packed into a smaller body.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Half a century ago, before minis were so popular, one of the first serious breeders of minis were nuns in a convent in TX.

Yep, I actually remember the nun who did. I never met her, but remember reading stories about her. Those minis sold for big money, too!

This, I would believe...
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

1 members found this post helpful.

We got three minis a few months ago... So far only the metal round pen will keep them in and we're hoping that if we run about 2 more strands of hot wire around the paddock they're supposed to be in it will actually keep them in
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

They aren't miniature. They're concentrate.

I saw that somewhere, it's apt.

I actually have a good little mini, though he loves his bestie and has damaged a snap at the gate when I left him out and brought Rory in to work. I may need to buy a heftier snap. My DH has said very few censurable words about him, but I do get the sideways look from time to time.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

8 members found this post helpful.

I have Poquito, aka The Wild Stallion of the Lost Prairie. Soon to be the Wild Gelding of the Lost Prairie but he doesn't know that yet! He's 19 mo. old, grulla paint and cute as a bug's ear. He also bites me on the butt when I'm not looking and thinks he's 17hh, not about 8hh. It's a hoot to see him bow his neck and trot or canter around like he owns the world. He stays in the back yard, chain link with constant maintenance and locks on the gate will contain him.

I have goats so keeping my two minis behind bars is actually quite easy compared to them.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    I have goats so keeping my two minis behind bars is actually quite easy compared to them.
    I was going to say it is just like having my goats. My big Boer buck is a test for my husbands pen building skills, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    They aren't miniature. They're concentrate.

I saw that somewhere, it's apt.
    That's my sig...and it is so true.

I'm sure nobody will be surprised that I adore my minis/small ponies, orneriness and all -- even after Scarlett, my Shetland mare, broke my wrist badly.

My 38-inch gelding and equine soul-mate, Mingus, demonstrated for me how easily he could jump over our 48-inch corral fence, just to make it clear he stayed in by choice rather than necessity. He has never jumped out again, but he had to make his point. (We've since added hot wire top and bottom, so we've both made our points, lol.)

Minis are put here to remind us that the purpose of a horse goes far beyond riding -- and to remind us that we shouldn't get too comfortable thinking we're the smartest creatures on the planet.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

4 members found this post helpful.

I've had goats and I've had minis. At least the minis don't tap dance on top of your vehicle. We had a kiko cross billy that liked to jump on top of the dog house and watch TV through the window. It was kind of startling at night to look out and see these yellow eyes with the verticle slits and long curlique horns looking in the window. It looked like Satan was paying a call.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Funny, I was actually at AHMA Worlds (drive help from Nevada) with some friends, and there were some nun's that owned a horse with a big trainer. Said friend said it wasn't fair because they had god on their side.

3 members found this post helpful.

Have to admit the mini at the barn is my gelding's bestest friend. And my guy is the kind who will annoy, annoy, annoy, but isn't the top horse, so in return he'll get payback. He is much grumpier towards full grown horses but these two are a good pair. They hang out well together. But the BOs often seem to have to switch things around for various reasons, and that just institutes various carrying-ons, and pony escapes. So I guess he isn't done training them yet.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My best pony story is the one we had left after supplying some for a sweepstake.
    He just kept bucking people off, so he was more of a pet.
    He was a very small black shetland, small enough to qualify for a large mini, I think.

He and the goat kept going places they should not be, like the town's grocery store.
    One Sunday, the call came from the church, the pony and goat walked down the aisle during the sermon and would we please come to get them?

5 members found this post helpful.