The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Baclofen and riding? Loop reins that are OK for the jumpers?

Hi everyone!

I was diagnosed with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis fairly recently, although the symptoms have been present for 10+ years, no one ever diagnosed it or thought to check for MS. Anyway, a recent attack has left me with spasticity that makes walking very difficult, driving impossible, and I can't go back to work until it's significantly better (vet tech and I also work at the barn). I was just started on oral Baclofen, but I have been told that the intrathecal pump is more effective and that it's something I should consider. But I have a few concerns...they said no "overly rough" sports or anything that causes significant bouncing. I'm assuming that that puts riding in the "do not" category? Does anyone have any experience with this? I do dressage and jump and was really hoping to show my young horse in the jumpers this season. I'm considering saying no if it means no riding, then again, I would like to have more mobility too. At the moment I think most snails move faster than I do. Plus I really need to go back to work.

Provided that all works out, as I mentioned I was hoping to take my young horse in the jumpers this season. He's a good soul, and listens to my pathetic attempt at aids even though he is really quite green still. But my hand dexterity is pretty lacking, and holding reins is difficult for me, they end up just slipping through my fingers. I was looking at these http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/RUBREIN/ADTDLR.htm
    but I'm concerned with my hand getting caught or not being able to slip the reins if needed. Any one have any experience with these? Or a dressage legal pair (I currently don't have a para card so...)? I can hang on until the horse pulls, so maybe something really "grippy"? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Tea; Apr. 13, 2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling!

What dosage of Baclofen are you on?

I take 100 mg/day with not a lot of effect,so quite a high dosage.

Tea...check your PMs. I have a set of those ADT reins lying around unused and unlikely to ever be used again. I can send them to you if you PM me your address. They are brown, not sure if that will be a problem, but they'd be free .

Well this sucks my post got eaten,

Loops are no no no unless you are carded and they are on the card for dressage. Jumpers believe it doesnt matter

How about these? They have big hand stoppers and should be legal, if you dont go looped

http://applesaddlery.com/p-13450-jef...ing-reins.aspx
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

my dr just started me on baclofen too, 10 mg at night, so i'm interested in following this thread too
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I love my baclofen. Only thing that helps my bulging disk when I am jumping.

Sent you a pm op

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
    Couture TB, are you on the oral or the intrathecal baclofen?

I am on the oral 3x a day. It is a godsend. I don't take it every single day, but more often then not it seems like. How long have you been on the oral? And how often? I know that when it comes to anything over 3' I couldn't do it without the muscle relaxers.

I've been on it just over month, and I take it 4 times a day now, every day. In that time my mobility, due to the spasticity has gotten worse so the dose has been increased rather quickly, and just went to the 100 mg dose last week.

If it helps at all it took almost three months before I noticed a significant difference in the baclofen... It does need to stay in your system as well even if you reduce the dose on the non riding days. If you go completely on or off it won't be effective immediately like a robaxacet.

Updates op? How you feeling?

Well I go back to see my doctor tomorrow, so we will see...I still haven't been able to go back to work which is a big one...dropping surgical instruments or tripping in the OP is not helpful! The other job is also horse related and handling other peoples horses while walking at a snails pace is just dangerous for everyone. We shall see. We have discussed the use of cyclophosphamide which scares me a little, but then again, not being able to move doesn't look all that great either!

Dont worry op, i have to go back to dicuss pain management for my ra, im not functioning well. Cant go up to different meds as i have other health issues. All i can do now is apply for disability since being in school + life = debt

Makes it worse, i know its against the law but they arent hiring me because they dont wanna accomodate my arthritis.

That doesn't sound good, Teddy! I do get you on the school thing, I work full time in addition to a more than full course load (6 classes/semester) to offset the debt from my previous degree...thankfully I haven't had to search for employment since being diagnosed but I do dread the day. Would it be better to simply not disclose your RA at an interview? Or would you always have to have some accommodations? When you are done with school will you have an easier time finding meaningful employment? Best of luck either way!

Thanks, if i dont disclose, they will try to fire me for not saying anything! It happened!

Fun thing labour board does squat

Default SecondaryProgressive MS

I too have that with a bad left leg and hand. Use a small old AFO in my paddock boot with half chaps for riding, used Rein Bows for my left hand. They were OK but I found Velcro on my wrist to be better now I've gotten weaker, my elbows work better than hand.
    I use Betaseron and have NO idea if it works. What is intrathecal baclofen?
    I was thinking of the Jeffries training reins with the stops. Have you tried them? Also I saw a multiple loop thing at the physical therapist which we cut in half and stitched to the left rein. But I only do dressage.