The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default eventing boots, revisited. Build your dream boot!!

I've been doing a lot of thinking regarding XC boots recently, as I've run into a major problem with my TB. He has a buildup of scar tissue on the outside of his RH, so boots are a no-go. I'm trying like mad to find Porters, but in the search, I got to thinking about what I personally want in a boot, and thought it might be fun to see what others would like as well.

I really like the Dalmar air-cooled boots. They didn't fit my Arab/QH very well, but he is on the small end of the size charts. They did fit my TB very well in front and on his LH. However, I am NOT a fan of the little fetlock pad on the hind boots. Even though it is flexible, I think it is awkward, and my TB wasn't too thrilled with it either. They did slip pretty significantly on my Arab/QH, even when I had them as tight as possible. I did like the hook and loop closure though.

The Premier air-cooled boots have the shatter-proof tendon plate, which is SUPER important to me. Even though we're only at the lower levels, my Arab/QH isn't careful and will rub (or sometimes flat-out knock) most jumps. My TB has flamboyant hocks and tends to interfere when he acts squirrely. However, I was very disappointed in how they held up after one light season; they seem to be cheaply made. I also think the hind boots come up WAY too high. My Arab/QH is pretty unflappable when it comes to boots, but even he was crab-walking with them on, and frankly I've never heard of a horse interfering on the inside of its hocks.

I've used brushing boots, but they are just that...brushing boots. No extra protection such as plates.

So, if I were to build my ideal boot, it would essentially be a Dalmar boot, with a ventilated lining, NO air holes as I didn't see a difference in either horse's legs after using brushing boots vs. AC eventing boots, no fetlock flap, and with a heavy-duty elastic section on the boot strap. It wouldn't have to be all elastic, I just want to be able to get the boot tight but also allow it to move with the leg. I really liked the hook and loop closure on the Dalmars as well.

I'd like to have shatter proof tendon guards as well. On the front boots, both on front and behind, and on the hind boots just in the front. I'd like there to be some padding around the fetlocks as well.

Picky much?? What about you folks?

Sounds like you need to try the NEW cross country boots (I would recommend the fleece version):

http://www.newequinewear.co.uk/shop-...ots-for-horses

Lovely boots, do not rub, do not move, do not hold water, keep legs as cool as you can considering they have the guards/plates you require. I *love* these boots.

My horse has a splint and these are the only boots that provide solid protection without rubbing/aggravating the splint. That being said, I do not use cross-country boots on a daily basis, only when schooling off property or at events. For the rest of the time, mine are in the Toklat valena's though I might splurge for a pair of the NEW brushing boots soon as I'm interested in seeing whether their strike plate provides additional protection without overheating the legs.

For me? Shatter proof tendon guards (front) and cannon guards (behind). Easy to get on and that fit well without having to be a biomechanical genius (my mechanical engineer friend can't figure out my hind NEW boots ). And, most importantly for me, some sort of lining that is not going to freak poor Toby's sensitive skin out!!! Even the "orthopedic foam" in his NEW boots is a bit of an issue.

I haven't looked at the NEW boots, to be honest. The Premiers and Dalmars are the only ones I've been physically able to get my hands on. The fleece lining would be a deal-breaker. Here in SoCal we have all kinds of sticky things that take forever to pick off velcro, let alone fleece!!

I don't use XC boots except when on course, schooling or showing.

I haven't seen any that have a hint of stretch/give in the straps, and I'm not sure why? It just seems like eventing boots could use some give, and that a small section of elastic may help us get the boots tight, but not *too* tight.

I LOVE my NEW Airowear boots! Rear tendon guards on the front, cannon guards on the rears. And they are a meshy outer with a ventilated foamy inside. Keep her legs cool and protect and fit well. They do make a brushing boot in the same material that works very well. I bought them at Amira Equi. I haven't seen them in the US, but they also carry the other boots at a much cheaper price than here.

So they do everything I need them to do. I only use them for serious xc schools and HT's, but the brushing boots in the same material get used regularly and have held up very well.

Check out Prolites.

I personally would never use Fleece for XC boots, they would hold water and heat way too much and would take forever to dry.

I bought Premiere Equines this winter for this show season. I agree the backs are aslightly too high, but for the price I was quite happy with the product.

Dalmars scare me after hearing about the tendon plate shattering and ruining tendonds on horses.

There are the ECOGOLDS, but I have heard about them slipping and holding heat.

I've used the fleece NEW boots before. They aren't like the fleece brushing boots (Heidi,etc). They don't hold water or sweat (but, yeah, wouldn't want to use them somewhere prone to picking up stickers and such). They weren't bad, but I did struggle getting them on snug enough. The fleece is dense and they always slipped as the fleece compacted during a ride.

What about the newest version of the Trizone boots? Has anyone tried those yet? They are pricey...like Ecogold kind of pricey.

I used the fleece new boots on Roux through intermediate (and long format CCI) and never had a problem with them retaining water. Neoprene was way worse for that than the fuzzy new boots. I needed them though, as Roux is super sensitive to most boots. His legs were always cool when I took them off.

They worked well for ubber sensitive crazy horse. I taped them for midsouth because I was more concerned about steeplechase and them moving brushing through the chase fences, but let's be real, we had to clear those by 3' regardless of how fast we were going, but other than that, they were great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    I used the fleece new boots on Roux through intermediate (and long format CCI) and never had a problem with them retaining water. Neoprene was way worse for that than the fuzzy new boots. I needed them though, as Roux is super sensitive to most boots. His legs were always cool when I took them off.
    Agreed. They do not hold water and do not heat legs up like neoprene boots. I love them.

That being said, I also use Toklat valena wool back boots for schooling, hacking and every day use. They also do not hold water. The magic of wool is that the water just drains through. I just like a little more protection for true cross country and the NEW boots provide that. I also like that they are soft and do not put any pressure points on the tendons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    Do you have any experience with their Lite boots? Do they get too hot?

Agh! Now I'm looking at the website and now I want the "Soft Touch" Exercise Boots for every day! And the pretty white fleece ones for dressage lessons and whatnot. MUST. STOP. LOOKING.

I may seriously reconsider the fleece xc boots, though. We do *ok* with the non-fleece ones, but he definitely starts to get funkier and funkier as the season goes on.

I can see the fleece boots being cooler than neoprene...for some reason that makes sense to me. But, there's no way I could use them. They'd be so full of stickies that my horse would be PISSED by the end!!

What do you all think of having some sort of elasticity in a XC boot's straps? Yay? Nay? Why/why not?

I think elastic makes them MORE prone to slipping. I have every day, cheapo fleece boots with elastic, and if they aren't put on just right or the elastic isn't of good quality, they will slip. Woof boots haven't ever had elastic in them and for YEARS were the gold standard in brushing boots....many, many horses have galloped around the biggest courses in them without issue.

I Was using the dalmar boots because they are light and supposed to be cooler than any other boots. They were neat, but they rubbed my horses legs. I am back to using my NEW boot, they are the fleece variety. I event in California and I haven't had any problem with stickers getting on them. They don't hold water and they dry pretty quick. I also haven't had much problem with slipping, but I have a system of taking a short walk then tightening them again. I have used these throughout the levels with no problem.

I love my ecogold boots! If they are slipping they probably don't fit right. The company has great customer service and will help you figure that out!

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    I can see the fleece boots being cooler than neoprene...for some reason that makes sense to me. But, there's no way I could use them. They'd be so full of stickies that my horse would be PISSED by the end!!

What do you all think of having some sort of elasticity in a XC boot's straps? Yay? Nay? Why/why not?
    My Eskadron's held up for years with some elastic at the base of the strap, and I kind of miss it. They finally did get a little too stretched out, so once we got to prelim, I upgraded to the Premiers. I agree, they're kind of high in the back, so I had to go down a size for my guy.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Hmmm. I use dressage boots with elastic, and granted we aren't running or jumping but my horse does like to konk himself, and they don't slip.

three_dayer, I'm in SoCal, and during this time of year there are stickies EVERYWHERE. They don't really hurt, but they are a pain in the @ss.