The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think the Gypsy Vanners are beautiful. But then, I think horses are like flowers: the most beautiful is the one I am looking at.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by future vet View Post
    Yep, they are cute and majikal looking from a distance. Just watch out for the sarcoptic mange mites that live in their feathers, mane and tail, they will hang out on you for a while and itch like crazy; although they won't set up house on you like it will dogs/horses/etc.
    are you implying these black & white cobs are specifically prone to sarcoptic mange? I knew lots in Ireland & never had any itchy aftereffects (even from the "horse fair" ones) ...
    & the pretty ones I've met here were certainly mite free.

1 members found this post helpful.

When I rescued my rats they had sarcoptic mange. A little (I mean little) bit of revolution cleared it right up. I never got anything, I think those mites don't live on people.

Alto, what are they priced like in Ireland? I heard they were priced pretty low in the UK but isn't Ireland more agricultural?
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

The cob I rode in Ireland
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10340...67475623459409
    Mud seemed to be a constant
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I love coloured cobs and I laugh at the American pricing for one! My yard in the UK used to keep their legs clipped and their manes hogged which I guess takes away their magical butterfly pooping ability. They were wonderful low level packers that were great for all around riding. We used them for dressage, jumping, and eventing as lesson horses and they were safe and fun and a few were even pretty athletic.

ETA: Of the several dozen that were at the farm, none had mange. In fact, I have never heard before that they are prone to it?

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    My gosh! That is like having a living, breathing Barbie doll hairstyle head. You know, the big Barbie head on a pedestal. You could brush her hair to your heart's content.

That is an amazing tail.
    Sheilah

A boarder at the barn where I keep my horse has one. He can be stubborn and naughty. So much so that his owner is now afraid to ride him. He has dumped her several times this winter by spooking, bolting, and bucking. She is not a good rider so she lets him get away with stuff and now he has figured out he can be naughty. She has a time with scratches on his legs as it can be so humid here in Va.

Gypsy Vanners/Irish Tinkers are great horses! Superb personalities!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Honestly, I always wonder: could you braid those feathers & tie them up to keep them out of the mud? mudfeather ~mudtail? SOme of them just seem insane.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    are you implying these black & white cobs are specifically prone to sarcoptic mange? I knew lots in Ireland & never had any itchy aftereffects (even from the "horse fair" ones) ...
    & the pretty ones I've met here were certainly mite free.
    Just guessing, but I bet the issue would be any hairy/feathery horse, not just colored cobs -- and not just the hairy horse but the hair plus the weather (hot and humid) and pests/mites here in the U.S. Just a "conditions are more likely" situation here in parts of the U.S. rather than the horses themselves. ??? I think that was what was meant, but correct me if I'm wrong!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I managed a varm of Gypsy Cobs for a year. There is a lot of hair. 1/2 the stock were breeding stallions so had to be kept as hairy as possible. Which means keeping them braided as much as possible. It made us cringe in the morning when you'd show up, look in the stall and see chunks of hair on the ground from them stepping on it. We learned that by using human cast tubing you can put the three strands in it and then braid normally and you would be able to keep it in longer. Biger cast tubing worked great to put on tails or their feathers when the farrier came (god forbid they rasped some off). I learned a lot on how to keep white white... and the curse of a gypsy.. A filly with a white tail! Impossible to clean.

Yes, several of them did have scratches, it was a PITA because you couldn't shave them ("how dare you touch a Gypsy's feathers!"). They also have tons of folds on their skin around their pasterns so it was hard to get medication in.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...035_7641_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...4725_488_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...485_4310_n.jpg you can see that the majority of his tail is braided. I hated braiding the whole thing during fly season... but let me tell you- when that wad of a braid hits a b52 black fly.. there is no saving it

Working there made me want to come home and pull my horse's manes. hehe. I was just bummed- I never even saw one fart a butterfly or rainbow!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I like them. I didn't like them originally at all but ever since I got my spotted draft...thing... who kind of looks gypsy (but without the feathers) they have grown on me. Not so much that I would buy one, however, because the idea of taking care of all of that hair makes me twitch. But now I love to see pictures of them!

I love the cobby types. Wish we had more classes here in the US for the heavy hunters and cobs.

I actually really like the cob types too, and I like these cobs...but the prices for them are laughable. It's amazing the difference between a following and those who realize they're just hairy cobs without special powers.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I used to see one at the schooling jumper shows around the area, he was a bigger guy but all that hair! Somehow is owner kept it snowy white. He was pretty athletic for a bigger horse (meaning bigger as in tank).
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

They can be very nice and often (but not always -- depends on horse and training, like any horse) have kind and forgiving temperaments. I could pick a decent one up here for less than £1000, easy. I could have my pick of them for that price.

Belle: the majority of that tail is braided in the last post??!! The remaining tail is more than either of my guys have put together and one of them has a decent tail. Talk about some hair!!!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    Belle: the majority of that tail is braided in the last post??!! The remaining tail is more than either of my guys have put together and one of them has a decent tail. Talk about some hair!!!
    I know, let me see if I can find one of his tail loose... it drags 16" on the ground!
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...065_9991_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...075_9743_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...265_7052_n.jpg
    ANd just for cuteness... https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...295_8270_n.jpg

I have over 4000 pictures of those horses... it became an obsession. As much as it was a PITA to keep up with them... you can't deny they are so adorable!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I briefly looked into them when I was shopping for a husband horse. Hubby wanted a pony. With spots. Really. Naive me thought a Gypsy vanner was just a hairy little spotted cob, like generations of Irish kids have learned to ride on. Then I saw the $25k price tags, which was the going rate at that time. DH ended up with a QH instead.

I like cobs, but not for 25k...when I was a kid I foxhunted on a lovely lovely cob, and I assure you back then, they were not pricey, at all.