The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default gypsy vanner at a clinic we just had

I don't care what you guys say! She was cute as a button, and I think I saw butterflies come out of her butt!!

Would not want to deal with all the hair personally, but her owner didn't seem to mind, she was very well groomed. Adorable!

3 members found this post helpful.

I think colored Cobs are cute, too. But not $10,000 worth of cute. If they were priced like the UK horses? I might consider one.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a gypsy cross, and the hair was a BEAST to take care of. It was like having Cousin It for a tail. For the right person, they can be a lot of fun. In the end, it just wasn't for me.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think they would make a fun family horse, especially with a young girl in the family that likes to brush that hair. But, they would need to be priced like a AQHA, instead of so high. If I had a bunch of money, I'd breed them, paying close attention to decent conformation and mild temperaments (and less attention to color), train them and sell them at a reasonable price as the perfect family horse. That's what they are best at in their country of origin.

Wait a minute! We raise a rare breed of Irish cattle that are easy to tame. That's it! I'll call Gypsy Vanner Cattle and sell them for $10,000!

War veteran

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I think they would make a fun family horse, especially with a young girl in the family that likes to brush that hair. But, they would need to be priced like a AQHA, instead of so high. If I had a bunch of money, I'd breed them, paying close attention to decent conformation and mild temperaments (and less attention to color), train them and sell them at a reasonable price as the perfect family horse. That's what they are best at in their country of origin.

Wait a minute! We raise a rare breed of Irish cattle that are easy to tame. That's it! I'll call Gypsy Vanner Cattle and sell them for $10,000!
    OMG please do it!!!!

If I had the money to save Cobs in the US, I would, but I don't. Maybe someone else will take that idea and run with it? Please do!

Actually, since the initial fad has passed, all it would take is an agreement between quality breeders to lower their prices and change marketing strategies (advertise them as a family horse).

War veteran

Gypsy vanner Cattle - you have Dexters, don't you....

I think the Highland Cow is the real Gypsy Vanner of cattle
    http://www.grantowngrammar.highland....ghland-cow.jpg

But I'd like to subscribe to your cattle newsletter...

2 members found this post helpful.

I think colored Cobs are cute, too. But not $10,000 worth of cute. If they were priced like the UK horses? I might consider one.
    If I could get one for <$2K I'd have one to poke down the trail on. Feathers would have to be shaved though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonwillow View Post
    I think the Highland Cow is the real Gypsy Vanner of cattle
    http://www.grantowngrammar.highland....ghland-cow.jpg

But I'd like to subscribe to your cattle newsletter...
    LOL that looks like an ewok!!

It was like having Cousin It for a tail.
    This made me laugh till I cried.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    It was like having Cousin It for a tail.
    Ditto, ahf!
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    This made me laugh till I cried.
    I have photo evidence: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...28605210_n.jpg

She was GREAT with our kids doing all sorts of weird stuff around her. She didn't even flinch when the horse next to her in the cross ties panicked and flipped over/thrashed like crazy when down. For the right person, they are a GREAT horse. We sold her, and she's now someone's quiet trail pony. They wanted to have a horse where they could play with all the hair, and they've got it, lol.

Yep, we raise Irish Dexters. They can even be trained as oxen. The Scottish Highland cattle are nice, too.

Apperantly, there are 4 registries for Colored Cob type horses in the US. Does anyone know the story behind that? Usually that means infighting.

War veteran

Okay, so our cows don't have all that hair, but we live in Florida. Can you imagine how hard that would be on them here? Here's a picture of a young Dexter. She's our son's cow, Fiona. Behind us is Ginny.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Blossom030.jpg

War veteran

Okay, so our cows don't have all that hair, but we live in Florida. Can you imagine how hard that would be on them here? Here's a picture of a young Dexter. She's our son's cow, Fiona. Behind us is Ginny.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Blossom030.jpg
    CUTE! Where in FL are you? Anywhere near Tallahassee?

Yep, my friend in the UK who rides referred to them as "pikey cobs" (yes, I'm aware that's not the nicest word), and laughed herself sick when I told her what prices they command over here! The one I know is a very nice horse, and fun to ride when he's not being stubborn, he has a problem with scratches that the hair both contributes to and makes hard to treat, and I wouldn't have paid as much as he cost.

And Highlands have the hair, but GVs are not known for having a really nasty temper, so I'm thinking they're not quite the GVs of cows!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Yep, my friend in the UK who rides referred to them as "pikey cobs" (yes, I'm aware that's not the nicest word), and laughed herself sick when I told her what prices they command over here!
    Must admit that was kinda my reaction to reading the prices they go for over there

talkofthetown, thank you! I love these little guys. BTW, we're in between Gainesville and JAX. Maybe this link works to allow you to look at more than one picture? I'm not real savvy on PB.

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/lone...exter%20Cattle

I'm not just theorizing about a group of breeders agreeing on a prices and breeding for soundness and temperament, rather than trendy show fads. That is exactly what many of us have done with our Dexters. If they are to remain a viable breed, they need to be reasonably priced. That is what the Cob folks should do with their horses.

War veteran

Yep, they are cute and majikal looking from a distance. Just watch out for the sarcoptic mange mites that live in their feathers, mane and tail, they will hang out on you for a while and itch like crazy; although they won't set up house on you like it will dogs/horses/etc.