The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about acquiring insurance for an instructor

I'm a former upper level dressage rider who has been volunteer teaching Pony Club and 4H kids in my rural area for a year or so. I've been asked to do private lessons for some of the kids and their parents and also some clinics. I want to make it clear I'm not taking money out of the mouths of real dressage trainers as there aren't any around here at all. Right now they are bringing people in from far away several times a year so it would be to everyone's benefit if I set up a twice a week teaching schedule at one of the local facilities with a nice arena. Plus this is a great community with nice kids and I'm happy to be part of it. This is strictly part time and I'm not interested in making money, this is more of a pay-it-forward thing for me. I do need to cover my gas (one hour commute to the facility) and we would need to pay the facilities fee so I would have to charge something.

The issue we're running into is insurance: when I teach the kids I'm covered under the visiting instructor deals they have with the various organizations. If I were teaching regular lessons I'd need the million dollar liability coverage that the facility requires, plus I'd want it because people do get hurt riding horses and I'd want to be covered if that happened in a lesson. I talked to the local ag insurance agent and he was ?? and quoted me some huge premium, I think to make me go away, that applied to a full care boarding and training facility. However, I had just instructors insurance for many years long ago, (through ASHA!!) so I am pretty sure there are more affordable options out there but I'm so out of the loop I don't know them.

Can anyone suggest an insurance program for instructors I might look into or an agent/organization/company I can call for more info? I'm happy to join an organization or take a class or whatever it requires.

This would primarily be for lessons but I'd want to be covered to get on people's horses occasionally as well, not as a trainer but as part of the lesson if needed.

Thanks in advance!!

I am also looking for coverage as an independent instructor as a few people have asked me for lessons.

I tried to get the same coverage from Bluebridle. They would not cover me because I am also a volunteer instructor at a theraputic riding program!! I was not happy, the opposite in fact.

I am still looking for reasonable coverage, Markel was more accomodating but the premium was onerous.

The AQHA used to, don't know if they still do, have an insurance program for those situations if you are a member.
    Won't hurt asking them.

Would the PC not also have such, if you are working with PC kids?

Many horse insurance companies such as Great American offer liability insurnace for riding instructors. Give your horse insurance agent a call.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hoping you get some great answers... My local agents don't seem interested in calling me back!

Try http://www.eqgroup.com/eqcgl.htm IIRC, the annual premium runs $500- $600 depending in the liability limit selected. You can call to get a quote. SkyKing, I am confused about the issue related your volunteer work. Assuming the therapeutic riding center is a non-profit, their CGL should cover all board and committee members, staff and volunteers. So anything you have as an individual would be secondary to it. I could see a concern if volunteers were not covered by the therapeutic riding center.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

You need a commercial liability policy, call any brokerage and they should be able to help you. I know in Ontario they average around $800 a year.

I did a blog post about this with some good links for reference:

http://fillysbestfriend.blogspot.ca/...al-equine.html

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    Try http://www.eqgroup.com/eqcgl.htm IIRC, the annual premium runs $500- $600 depending in the liability limit selected. You can call to get a quote. SkyKing, I am confused about the issue related your volunteer work. Assuming the therapeutic riding center is a non-profit, their CGL should cover all board and committee members, staff and volunteers. So anything you have as an individual would be secondary to it. I could see a concern if volunteers were not covered by the therapeutic riding center.
    So was I, they said that they could be "pulled in" if there were a claim. I am covered for theraputic riding, one by a government self insured entity and another under a private program.

I think it varies by state. My sister's instructror's insurance in VA is/was about the same range. But when she looked at extending it to cover NY, it was going to be well into 4 digits.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

It can run anywhere from $600 a year to well into the four figures. I use Jasper insurance

I use equisure, my premium is around $700 a year, $1mil liability coverage on any property, up to 15 students per week. They have been very helpful and easy to work with. My only gripe is that if you can't afford to pay the premium up front, the financing is very expensive, something like 19% apr. It is a small amount of money to finance so really doesn't cost that much in interest but 19%, really?!

Janet, I agree completely, Insurance is state regulated and some states, even counties within those states, are charged much higher premiums for liability insurance if you do business there.

Combine that with instructors’ insurance being an esoteric risk with a small number of policyholders (compared to homeowners or auto) and an increased chance for physical injury for participants, then the premiums are not going to be cheap.

SkyKing, I have not found BlueBridle to be among my favorite agencies. I understand the concern about being a deep pocket, but there is a basic misunderstanding of what therapeutic riding entails. I would say that regular riding lessons are far more dangerous. Therapeutic riding usually entails a person leading the horse, side walkers (perhaps) and a max speed of a walk with lots of standing in between. The horse used are pretty darn quiet. I’ve sold a couple of Fjords to therapy programs.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

SkyKing, I have not found BlueBridle to be among my favorite agencies. I understand the concern about being a deep pocket, but there is a basic misunderstanding of what therapeutic riding entails. I would say that regular riding lessons are far more dangerous. Therapeutic riding usually entails a person leading the horse, side walkers (perhaps) and a max speed of a walk with lots of standing in between. The horse used are pretty darn quiet. I’ve sold a couple of Fjords to therapy programs.
    I agree and we actually had that conversation about therapeutic riding being safer than other lessons, especially if the PATH criteria were followed. They said that their underwriter had the concern and when I said it was their job to educate the underwriter as to the real issues, well the conversation started downhill.

Markel was better but the premium was high for what I wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I think it varies by state. My sister's instructror's insurance in VA is/was about the same range. But when she looked at extending it to cover NY, it was going to be well into 4 digits.
    NY does not have an equine limited liability law, guessing that is part of the reason NY is so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by butiwantedapony View Post
    I use equisure, my premium is around $700 a year, $1mil liability coverage on any property, up to 15 students per week. They have been very helpful and easy to work with. My only gripe is that if you can't afford to pay the premium up front, the financing is very expensive, something like 19% apr. It is a small amount of money to finance so really doesn't cost that much in interest but 19%, really?!
    I use equisure as well. Some years it is more and others less. Depends on income and numbers of students.

Call Jarvis Ins

1 members found this post helpful.

This is great info, thanks! I will start calling around.