The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feiner Stern mare - suggestions

I’m interested in stallion suggestions for a mare by Feiner Stern and out of the B line. I am most likely breeding her this season but the stallion is undecided.
    She is 17.1, solid with A LOT of bone, always calm and not overly sensitive. I would like to find a refining Hanoverian approved stallion, fresh or frozen, hunter or dressage type, amateur friendly temperament, and smaller size.
    I’ve done a little research and found the B-line does well when crossed with D- and G- line Hanoverians, but I’m not sure which lines or specific stallions work well for a Feiner Stern mare. Also, would breeding to a Bolero grandson be a good idea? If so, where can I find info about his grandsons? I’m new to breeding so any suggestions and tips are appreciated.
    Pedigree of the mare’s dam: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bogrella

Dacaprio and Royal Prince are two that come to mind as refining Hanoverian approved stallions that are not very big. Dacaprio is listed at 16.2, but my understanding is that he tends to produce offspring on the smaller, more refined side. You probably won't get huge gaits from either stallion, (although Royal Prince has an awesome walk), but for an amateur dressage or hunter prospect, either one could fill the bill quite nicely.

Good luck. My Feiner Stern mare is the opposite of yours - 16h and quite refined - so my stallion choices would be quite different.

Wow, some fantastic old blood there!
    I think you can consider the "B" line if it is a refining one based on the mare's pedigree. Belissimo M and his son Bennidetto come to mind.
    A proven nick with Feiner Stern is the "D" onnerhall line. There are a lot of those stallions around. (D/F) to prove the value of this nick. Doctor Wendell MF (Don Principe[whose dam line is Prince Thatch xx]/Sandro Hit) and Donnerweiss are two that are super. Both are smaller 16.1 for Doc and I think similar for Donnerweiss. The Hanoverian Verband has published in the "Hannoveranner" that they believe Doctor Wendell to be a refiner.
    A photo of the mare would be very helpful and good luck!
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Ditto Marydell, though I think Belissimo may not downsize. I've had 2, and one will finish the height of his mother, the second will be about 2 " taller, I believe. Both leggy, elegant, good-natured.

We put our large, old style Feiner Stern mare (W-line on bottom) to Sir Gregory and were very happy with the resulting filly. Our filly was a premium foal at her GOV inspection and recently sold to a dressage home.
    I believe that Sir Gregory was approved for Hanoverian breeding in Jan 2013.

Thank you for the great suggestions! I'm seriously considering Royal Prince. He seems like an excellent candidate for refinement and temperament.

We bred a Feiner Stern Mare ( dam was Diamont) to Dacaprio and got a lovely colt. Look at "Davinci" 2009 foal on our website
    http://http://www.hiddenacresfarm.net/foals.htm
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Very nice colt Hiddenacresmi! I also love the photo of your new Wild Dance colt; so cute and leggy.

We bred our Feiner Stern/Diamont/Darwin mare to Rubignon and got the best foal I have ever produced. Simply gorgeous with floating movement and a totally calm, willing attitude.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.