The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's in this picture?

Genuine confusion.

Are these draw reins of some sort, attached to a breast plate? I don't think I've ever seen this. Thoughts?

Also pics forward and back to get perhaps a better view.

ETA: This seems to be a good shot to see the equipment.
    Last edited by starhorse; Apr. 8, 2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: removed URL

Yes, it looks like draw reins snapped onto the breastplate. Safer for jumping since there is no way for the horse to put a foot through them. They are allowed under USEF rules for jumper classes with less than $1,000 in prize money.

Not a new thing. I've seen them for decades.

1 members found this post helpful.

Huh. I had never seen that before. Thanks!

Yeah, looks like draw reins attached to a breastplate. I think this, like many "gadgets", has a use in the hands of an experienced professional, but I personally don't like seeing what seems to be a young kid showing over low fences using it, especially with a pretty restrictive release

3 members found this post helpful.

they look like snap ons to me (that's probs not what they're called but that's what my trainer calls them) just like you guessed they're draw reins attached to the breast plate. I use them VERY occasionally but I like them better than other draw reins personally, they're also safer to be jumped in than normal draw reins (but I've never jumped in them and wouldn't take my chances really).
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Sigh. I only wish people would understand what draw reins are supposed to be used for. THEY ARE NOT BRAKES. Used between the legs to the girth they are used to encourage a horse to improve longitudinal movement. Used to the girth below the saddle flaps they are used to improve lateral movement. Used snapped to the breastplate they just bring the horse's nose to it's chest and I invite anyone to enlighten me why this is a good thing for jumping.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

We always called them yolk reins. We would use them occasionally on a strong puller. They would stay soft (a bit looser than the snaffle rein) and not interfere with the horse unless the horse pulled forcefully and unnecessarily downward and outward. They would hit the yolks and end up pulling against themselves. Add leg to send them forward, and the yolks would go back to being loopy and doing nothing. Yes, we used them over fences, but it was not common. That was the only reason I ever saw to use draw reins attached to a breastplate, but maybe I'm missing something!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Is this person okay with you sharing their pictures? I ask because her name is on them.

I think that's the photogrphers name.

Never seen it at a show.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

You see this set-up regularly in jumpers at AA shows. The draw rein should have enough slack in it that it loops, but it's easy for beginner level riders to choke up on both reins inadvertently around the corners. Where martingales catch a horse when it has already thrown it's head, the draw reins prevent it from happening with the hope being the horse learns to go around without throwing it's head.

This beginner rider does not have any slack in the draw rein but does give enough of a release over a jump that's nearly the size of a cavelletti. The breast plate also has elastic so it does give a little.

Now that you know what it's for, please remove the link. This poor girl doesn't need her picture ripped apart by punchy adults on a public forum.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Is this person okay with you sharing their pictures? I ask because her name is on them.
    I was thinking the same thing, especially because she looks like a minor.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Maybe the OP can copy one of the photos and black out the rider so others can still know what is being commented on.

There are multiple pictures on that sight of all the riders at the MVHC show, including the rider mentioned in the first post. I assume they were all taken by the person whose name appears on the site. I don't know that taking down the link or blacking out the picture is going to do much.

Maybe it would be more effective if we ask everyone to stay respectful and understand that the junior is likely just following directions. Just my opinion.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

They are yoke reins and not super unusual in the lower jumpers. I used them on my adult jumper and never felt unsafe or like I was the big weirdo of the show!!

I took the URL out per concerns about the rider getting ripped apart. By the way, the name in the link is the photographer, not the person in the photo. I don't actually know the person in the photo (but do know the photographer!), I just came across the picture and was wondering what the equipment was and what it was for.

starhorse, I'll bet at least one of your former instructors and your horse are THRILLED that you didn't know what those GADGETS were for!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    starhorse, I'll bet at least one of your former instructors and your horse are THRILLED that you didn't know what those GADGETS were for!!!!!
    This made me a little nostalgic! You should check out my FB - the mare is looking mighty adorable these days.