The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Happy shedding!

My 30 year old best friend was diagnosed with cushings over the winter and has always been a late shredder so was really no surprise in the diagnosis. Started him on Presend several months back and he is now shedding like mad! So so so happy to curry all that yellow fuzz off him. My old buckskin never looked so good since retirement. I'm feel like doing the happy shed dance!

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats to the old boy shedding for you!

Our older mare, 27yrs, has also shed out dramatically this spring. Started about mid-March and dropped it fast! I was filling muck tubs with hair each morning!! She has a few long hairs left on, but this is the first time in 3 years we won't need to body clip her in June to cool her off in the heat. I have been watching her, but no shivers at all in the cold wind or even rainy days. I guess "When it is time, the hair comes off!" is correct. No changes in feed or turnout, but THIS year the hair is off and she looks good.

The other, younger horses are being pretty stingy about shedding, even being worked often. They are dense haired for winter still, though not long-haired, even in all the long day hours now. I just know this will be a weird year.