The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's a fair lease price for my horse??

Financials have pushed me into a bind and I've decided that I have to either 1/2 of full lease my horse. Problem is, I'm barn blind and have no idea what to price the lease at.

Horse is a 20yo, 16.2 branded and papered imported SF. He does not look or act his age. In his heyday he showed in the Jr. Jumpers and A/O hunters successfully. He's a little out of shape at the moment but is still a packer over 3'-3'6. Sound, sound, sound. He's auto everything, but definitely has a motor so not suitable as a beginner horse. He's trail ridden all around and is easy to work around. I'd like an on-farm lease if at all possible.

Ideas? I was thinking $150-200 for a 1/2 lease and maybe $500 for a full lease? Am I way off?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

500 sounds perfectly fair, it translates to 18k purchase price which sounds good for this kind of horse and perhaps a tad low if the horse is really nice. Good basic price range though. Will likely give you someone who has enough money not to be one of the scary people you don't want to deal with, but maybe just might not have the money for buying something nice or younger.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Does anyone really pay $18,000 for a 20 year old horse?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    500 sounds perfectly fair, it translates to 18k purchase price which sounds good for this kind of horse and perhaps a tad low if the horse is really nice. Good basic price range though. Will likely give you someone who has enough money not to be one of the scary people you don't want to deal with, but maybe just might not have the money for buying something nice or younger.

I'd say $500 a month in addition to all expenses is too much for a horse his age.
    But a flat rate of $500 with no additionals wouldn't be extremely absurd.

5 members found this post helpful.

I was planning on the lease price including all expenses (board, farrier, basic vet) other than extra vet bills.

Here's a few pictures of him from within the last year
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...28839749_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...71308497_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...64156809_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...05728413_n.jpg
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

I was always under the impression that age did not affect lease price the same way it affects sale price because the lessor isn't going to have long-term responsibility for the horse. It only matters what the horse can go and do now. In addition to board, shoes, and maintenance vet work, I'd say 10k a year is fair, given the horse is as nice as described.

1 members found this post helpful.

The view in your third picture is stunning!

That sounds perfectly reasonable then.

I think it also depends on your facilities and what the horse can currently do. $500 for a horse that is only able to trail ride and you have no access to trails, or a horse suitable for jumping but no facility to jump is not worth it. $500 for a low level dressage/low hunter/trail with facilities to support this is absolutley worth it!

The facilities have a well groomed arena with jumps, a riding pasture with mini x-c course, and 200 acres of crop fields and roads to ride through. We're also within 10 miles of a decent sized show facility. The only thing it doesn't have is an indoor.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Often with an on-site lease for people who just don't want the expense of their horse for the time being we just do a "cost" lease... meaning the lessee only pays the board and expenses for the horse (including shoes and any maintenance). One thing to remember with this is that if your horse needs particular supplements or other maintenance like injections or Adequan you will need to make sure whoever is leasing knows about that beforehand. Also for a half lease it's the same... each person (you and the lessee or two lessees) pays half of all expenses. It's a nice way to make it more economical for someone who maybe otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to have "their own" horse while also taking financial burden off of you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for all your replies

Eilsel- That's definitely something to consider. His costs are about $300 a month. Board is $250 and $50 for a trim every 6-8 weeks. He's not on any supps or maintenance at the moment but may need them if he's in more steady work. My schedule is such that I can't ride more than 1-2 times per week.

Where would be the best place to advertise for such a lease? I'm pretty new to the area and don't have a lot of connections yet.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

I pay almost that exact price for a very similar (equally nice) horse. I think it is more than fair (and totally reasonable).

500 a month including board sounds very fair. $300/mo for a half lease would be ok too.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

When I half-leased my guy, who is similar to yours in a lot of respects (+ novice safe / - was leased as a 2'6" packer,) his lease fee was half his costs- board, farrier, routine vet (vaccines and monthly Legend,) medications, and insurance. His costs are significantly higher than what you would be asking because of the price of board in my area, so giving you the number of what the half-lessee paid wouldn't be a 1:1 comparison, but splitting the costs halfway worked for us.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

You must be in a very inexpensive area if 500 a month covers board. For a horse like that I would think 5-7k lease fee for a year plus expenses would be reasonable. That would equate to 500 a month lease fee PLUS board and shoeing. It would be dependent on the lessee/lessor situation on who was responsible for supplements and veterinary care.

I too have an older-but-looks-12-and-sound-with-no-maitenance mare who I free lease. They pay her expenses (board/vet/feet/etc). I'd never sell her and at her age, I'd worry where she'd end up. Like yours, she's got a ton of good A show mileage, and is safe and a great learning horse, but not a beginner's ride. I've leased her (for $) for years, but found it harder and harder to find trainers interested once they learned her age. Now she's in a home that loves her, and is teaching yet another little girl how to jump and show and do lead changes. I don't make anything on her, but she's not costing me a cent, and having her in a long-term "family" environment makes it all worth it.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...