The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Teaching 15 yr Pony Correct Canter Lead

This cute little pony came to our barn to be apart of the lesson program for the summer. She is not being used at all right now, except for me riding her on the weekends. Going to the left she wont pick up her left lead. To the right she is golden. I took her out of the dressage court to the larger arena and she was able to pick it up on a larger circle. Should I even fuss with her about her lead since she is going to be packing around kids? BO thinks she was never taught about leads, just had her little legs ran off. There is no way a kid is going to be able to get this pony to get the correct lead going to the left? She will get two days a week from me and the rest newbie kids during the week. My main priority is safe pony for the kids but it bugs me that she wont pick up her left lead.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

practice the left lead in the big arena and she will eventually get it. just because she's packing around kids doesn't mean its ok for the kids to learn that the wrong lead is ok
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Your mention of the larger circle helping means one or more of the following issues could be making it hard for her to canter on the desired lead. Stifle soreness, a need for chiropractic adjustment, or a muscle imbalance.

Remember that a left lead canter starts with the right hind. If there is a problem with her right stifle, it will be hard for her to take that lead. Post the left diagonal more than the right on her, because that will strengthen the right hind/left front pair. If possible, get a chiro to check her over too.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Your mention of the larger circle helping means one or more of the following issues could be making it hard for her to canter on the desired lead. Stifle soreness, a need for chiropractic adjustment, or a muscle imbalance.

Remember that a left lead canter starts with the right hind. If there is a problem with her right stifle, it will be hard for her to take that lead. Post the left diagonal more than the right on her, because that will strengthen the right hind/left front pair. If possible, get a chiro to check her over too.
    This. Plus if she has only been working on one lead all this time she's going to be terribly crooked and one sided. Work on straightening exercises. Lateral work.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous