The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mine cracks me up on a regular basis.
    She is really sweet, none of that mareish pinning ears etc. attitude, but she has many, many quirks.
    She squeals (when feeling good) and groans (when bored) under saddle. I get squealy canter departs, fortunately, now that she's older and more mature, they're not followed by boinking and carrying on. I get big, deep sighs and groans when she's bored. She will GROAN all the way around the ring, in rhythm with her trot. It makes everyone laugh.
    She loves mud baths. If not muddy enough to her taste, she will dig a hole and dump her water and THEN roll. And THIS is what will greet me when I get to the barn to ride....!!!!!
    She also loves water. She will play with her water buckets and break them, she will jump IN her trough with both front feet.
    I can't tell you how many barn workers she's pissed off by damaging various water containers!
    I love her personality. She loves attention and is just so sweet to handle, and a lot of fun under saddle, although when she was younger, she was quite a challenge to ride!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

My mare is incredibly sweet and particularly patient. She's kind of an old soul despite being five and athletic, and she does a spectacular job of putting up with me and my ineptitude. I let my 62-year-old mother walk around on her.

That said, she has an opinion about EVERYTHING and has the widest range of facial expressions I think I've ever seen a horse have. The sclera on one of her eyes shows during some of her facial expressions, but not others, so she's got a hilarous side-eye. She's always watching, and as a friend of mine says, "silently judging all of us." She is also one that grunts under saddle, and also shoots various facial expressions at whoever might be watching (trainer when I'm riding, me when trainer is riding). I imagine that will be fun for the judge come showing time.

My BO's big ole' appy mare does a lot of groaning when she doesn't like something. She also enjoys biting the wall and/or raking her teeth across whatever hard surface is in front of her at the time when someone isn't moving fast enough for her (feeding, T/O) or doing something she doesn't agree with (tacking up, feeding another horse first, etc.).

She also does this thing when you're standing behind her, where she turns her neck all the way around and glares at you with this look in her eye like, "um, what?"

♥♥♥ her!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

My chestnut mare gives the stink eye quite frequently when I am grooming and tacking her up. When I get on and start riding her, she will often flap her lips like she is cussing me out. Other than these few things she is very sweet and loves attention and is very well behaved under saddle.

My mare is very selective on when she will be caught to come in. She lives out 24/7 and comes in twice a day to eat. Now she is 23 and has her quirks but I wouldn't have her any other way. When she is on she is on but when we are not, we just go back to the barn cause it is no use of arguing with her... she will win.

Another mare at the farm is so funny. She was sold to a women who had to send her back due to food aggression. Well she is a draft cross and lives on air but anyway... she likes to talk. I walked in the field the other night to catch my elusive mare and the draft came up to me. I forget what she did but it wasn't nice so I flicked her in the nose. She squealed back and I told her not to give me any attitude. Well she squealed again. I think she just has to have the last word!

I tried to go curry my mare out in her field today. The second I was within 3 feet from her, she braced all four feet and snorted at me all wild-eyed as if she had never seen me before.

Then trotted off when I tried to curry her, flagging her tail.

Brat.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

My mare is very vocal. She always grunts at the start of our ride then she usually chills out. At feeding time, she makes this weird sound until you feed her (you know, in case you forget about her). The sound has been described as a pterodactyl dying. I have found her out in the field standing off by herself away from the group squealing and stomping as if another horse is in her space but no other horses are around and they ignore her. She also makes faces at every horse in the arena she passes.

The queen of our main pasture is a 29 year old Chestnut Tennessee Walker mare. She has total hissy fits when we move a new horse in. She is a shameless hussy when a gelding gets near her. When she is bored with something she just leaves, no matter what you are trying to do. She has to be twitched to stand for the farrier. If you don't turn her out the second she finishes eating she just stands and bangs on her stall door. I completely adore her

Quote Originally Posted by Sfbayequine View Post
    I was known for having "the look" when I was a child, perfected it as a teenager and now apparantly still use it on my husband ... he just laughs.

My mare apparently has the same look which I recognized within 15 minutes of having her at the barn and my only thought was ... "oh crap, I just bought myself..."

I love her to death
    this is pretty much me and my mare. I always tell my husband she is me in horse form so he's lucky she doesn't talk.

1 members found this post helpful.