The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tell me about your mares with attitude!

Gotta love 'em. Mine gave me "the look" many times today. Tell me all about yours!

LOL, great title. They have attitudes because they are mares.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I bought my mare because of her "attitude".

1 members found this post helpful.

I get "the look" every day . One time, I walked into the barn and she looked at me and gave the most exasperated sigh I've ever heard from a horse, and then went back to eating.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

5 members found this post helpful.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    I get "the look" every day . One time, I walked into the barn and she looked at me and gave the most exasperated sigh I've ever heard from a horse, and then went back to eating.
    The sighs kill me every time. Before bridling, my friend's mare sometimes rests her head on friend's shoulder, stares off, & uhhhhh (how do you spell a sigh?)

I was known for having "the look" when I was a child, perfected it as a teenager and now apparantly still use it on my husband ... he just laughs.

My mare apparently has the same look which I recognized within 15 minutes of having her at the barn and my only thought was ... "oh crap, I just bought myself..."

I love her to death

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    This is great

Quote Originally Posted by Sfbayequine View Post
    I was known for having "the look" when I was a child, perfected it as a teenager and now apparantly still use it on my husband ... he just laughs.
    I feel like when I'm looking for a horse, I need to find a mare specifically with this quality because I was (am) that child too. Self-inflicted karma. It's how I do justice with myself.

Ah, yes...(insert my own sigh).

My darling Scarlett has a triple dose of attitude: ...She is a mare.
    ...She is a chestnut pinto.
    ...She is a Shetland.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I am more her BFF than her owner. She follows me around gossiping and complaining about the geldings, sharing girl talk. She is beautiful and brazen and well aware that if we were in high school, she would be in a much loftier social strata (the soshes and cheerleaders) than mine (band geek and honor society). That's okay...we're the only girls in the corral, so we have to stick together.

Scarlett rules benevolently over her gelding subjects, but always making it clear that "It's all about ME!"
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    Love that post. As a barn worker, there's one gelding (gelding!) who is in a constant state of being offended. He's the BO's horse and the only one like that in the barn. If he could roll his eyes...actually, he almost can.

Herself has perfected the eye roll. When I come walking out of the tack room with her bell boots and saddle in hand, she will sigh and then roll her eyes.

We often get into disagreements in the middle of the arena about who is *actually* in charge and they end with her grabbing my boot in her mouth and giving me stink eye. She hasn't actually yanked me off yet, but I'm sure it's coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My old mare used to try to pin her ears and snake her head at every horse we passed in the indoor. My gelding, who is an honourary mare with attitude, does this, too. He was referred to "as that grey horse with so much attitude" by a clinician. I won't go into all the things he's tried to pull, but he does it so with such coolness and calculation, and then he'll back down quickly and get to work. Yesterday, I watched him try to intimidate someone else lunging him by pulling a little half rear. I could see in his eyes that it was a purely experimental move on his part--no anger or fear involved, just testing. I growled at him and he stopped.

My grandhorse has major 'tude, as in will not tolerate other horses. She has a paddock to herself and empty stalls on either side, which is just how she prefers it. I figure after helping my daughter get through her teenage years, she is certainly entitled
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Tia is a squealer. She will squeal at anyone who tries to make her do something she doesnt feel fits her schedule. She very rarely squeals at me, but everyone else in the barn is fair game!

The Pole Pop - She gets accupressure treatments because of the state she was in when I got her. The pole pop just pops the top of her pole to release any pent up energy or knots she may have up there!
    Im a Squealer!
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

My three girls (2 of them chestnuts!) have to go out in their own field at the barn because they gang up on any other horse or horses out with them, denying them their inalienable rights to hay, grass, water and shelter. At their last barn, the 3 of them took over a massive run-in every day, forcing the other 20+ horses to stand outside in the sun all day long. I came by one day when it was raining, and there were Cat, Bo and Rosie happily inside, and the rest of the herd trying to at least get their heads under the overhanging roof.

They're collectively known as "The Witches of Eastwick", and most of my conversations with the barn own start with "Do you know what your girls did today?"
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    My three girls (2 of them chestnuts!) have to go out in their own field at the barn because they gang up on any other horse or horses out with them, denying them their inalienable rights to hay, grass, water and shelter. At their last barn, the 3 of them took over a massive run-in every day, forcing the other 20+ horses to stand outside in the sun all day long. I came by one day when it was raining, and there were Cat, Bo and Rosie happily inside, and the rest of the herd trying to at least get their heads under the overhanging roof.

They're collectively known as "The Witches of Eastwick", and most of my conversations with the barn own start with "Do you know what your girls did today?"
    Hah! Your username says it all

Mine has perfected the look and sigh as well. She's definitely independent, free-spirited, and thinks she knows better than anyone else what she should be doing at every single moment. But, you know what? I love her even more for it! She's saved my butt a time or too and I'll forever be grateful for her.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Talking

My mare throws temper tantrums. Seriously ! When I told the BO about
    them when I first moved, she thought I was kidding. Until she saw one !

When she gets pissed, for whatever reason, in turnout, she takes off, bucking,
    farting, squealing and stomping her feet and does a pissed-off temper tantrum
    loop around the paddock.

Things that make her have a hissy fit:
    - taking her boyfriend away from her, and leaving her in the field.
    - insisting on manners at the gate, when she wants to go blasting away
    - finishing up with the vet (who she hates), then turning her out.

The funniest one ?

My mare loves loves LOVES rolling in fresh snow. A few years ago, we got almost
    2 feet of snow. We were cleaning stalls and put the horses out so they could stretch
    their legs a bit. She was so excited she actually flopped in the snow in mid-yahoo onto her side.
    Her body sunk in the really fluffy snow, but her legs ended up sticking up out of the hole.
    It was hysterical. She laid there for a minute, then managed to wriggle around and
    get her legs underneath herself, then she had a major temper tantrum. We were dying,
    it was so funny.

And my mare doesn't have attitude, she has APPYTUDE.

She's an appaloosa mare. Need I say more ?

My mare has mellowed out quite a bit in the 10 years I've had her--her temper tantrums are not nearly as frequent and less easily provoked--but she's still quite the, um, character.

I think my favorite was when I went to get her out of her pasture and found that the round bale had gotten low enough that she hollowed herself out a nest in the middle, laid down, and ate from that position while the rest of the horses stood on the outside trying to pick around her.

My least favorite is that she's too smart for my own good. She knows exactly what she's *supposed* to do with ground poles and finds creative and more difficult ways to do the exercises just to avoid doing it my way. This includes treating four trot poles as four bounces, and one pole set out a canter stride as a groundline