The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Disconnect: Discuss? THE FORK ......

Unfortunately, the doomsayers and disconnectors are getting some fuel for their fires.

This is the COTH event board....and....weekend of what could be the most important run for most Rolex-bound horses.....

And there is no Fork thread. Did I miss something?
    Nothing.

Or are we all just really, really busy with our own lives and will discuss it Monday? I hope it's the latter.
    Last edited by retreadeventer; Apr. 8, 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: wanting to know how Rolex horses did if that is allowed on an eventing discussion board
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmm...very good point. The weather was unusually nice this weekend where I live so I was outside literally all weekend. I totally forgot to even log on to check the results. So maybe people (at least on the east coast) have been distracted by an unusually warm serious of days...

2 members found this post helpful.

I was too busy riding my horse to sit on COTH, discussing the Fork. I've kept up with results via FB and EN.

6 members found this post helpful.

Well, I was there for both dressage days. Still thawing out from Thursday keeping up via EN and prepping for my own event next weekend.

I am at work today, so instead of relishing in the warm weather I'm relegated to living online.

I'm not sure I understand the doomsday / disconnect spin, but there were some hefty problems in the CIC 3*. On XC I counted 4 eliminations, 9 retired on course after stops, and 2 MR. That's 15 non-finishers. Several others continued on course after a stop or 2. I haven't cross checked to see if any of those are Rolex contenders.

I believe there were around 55 entrants so maybe that is not an unusual percentage (someone with more knowledge than me can chime in).

I was more concerned with the fact that there were 4 horse falls and 5 rider falls in Training. Was it footing related? I've competed and spectated at The Fork before and I know the course does run beefy with a bit of terrain as well. Beautiful place.

Hope the MR (8?) horses and riders are all ok.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I was more concerned with the fact that there were 4 horse falls and 5 rider falls in Training. Was it footing related? I've competed and spectated at The Fork before and I know the course does run beefy with a bit of terrain as well. Beautiful place.

Hope the MR (8?) horses and riders are all ok.
    Yeah I was talking to my trainer about that today. We were both wondering what happened to cause horse falls at T. Hope everybody is ok.

ETA: Congrats to Lynn & Donner! Looking forward to watching them go @ Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I was too busy riding my horse to sit on COTH, discussing the Fork. I've kept up with results via FB and EN.
    Me too! Beautiful weekend here. Looking forward to watching some of the videos on EN. What was the deal with the coffin complex?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

If you want a Fork thread, start a Fork thread. Perhaps one with a title that mentions it, like "The Fork thread- discuss!" so people who were there or are following the scores know where to chime in.

21 members found this post helpful.

Lots of us were at the Fork, enjoying the Fork.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Lots of us were at the Fork, enjoying the Fork.
    Lucky duck! Gorgeous weather to spectate, especially at such a beautiful venue.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I was hoping all went well. The photos have started going up, and I will vicariously enjoy my heroes' reports as they go up....

I followed it via live scoring and on FB and EN... should've done twitter but got busy riding my own lovely out in the beginnings of a beautiful spring day!

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    If you want a Fork thread, start a Fork thread. Perhaps one with a title that mentions it, like "The Fork thread- discuss!" so people who were there or are following the scores know where to chime in.
    Bares repeating.

3 members found this post helpful.

Who are the disconnectors? And why do they want us to spend the weekend discussing the Fork scores online?

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, I'm not feeling anymore disconnected than usual (maybe we could rename this thread to stimulate more conversation?) but I had two thoughts/questions about the results from last weekend.

First, it seemed like the 3* coffin was a big problem and it was interesting to see tape of a few rides on EN. Bascially it looked like you needed to ride down with a lot of power and really kick on to the "C" element. That said, a number of combinations aiming at Rolex had difficulty there or elsewhere and many retired. What do they do now? There isn't really time for another run before Kentucky, so do they go as is? That would be a very uncomfortable feeling heading out on a 4* course filled with skinnies!

It was also interesting to read about MLM and Mr. Medicott. It really hammered home the "challenges" of the new FEI qualification system. It sounded like they really want to do a fall 4* (I am betting Pau?) so are just trying to work backwards to see how to get there. Because MLM is not highly categorized, she has to go back to the 2* level and the horse has to do a number of runs including a spring CIC**, CCI**, CIC***, and CCI*** (a trip to Poland) just to make it happen. Seems like a whole lot of money and miles to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwly View Post
    Well, I'm not feeling anymore disconnected than usual (maybe we could rename this thread to stimulate more conversation?) but I had two thoughts/questions about the results from last weekend.

First, it seemed like the 3* coffin was a big problem and it was interesting to see tape of a few rides on EN. Bascially it looked like you needed to ride down with a lot of power and really kick on to the "C" element. That said, a number of combinations aiming at Rolex had difficulty there or elsewhere and many retired. What do they do now? There isn't really time for another run before Kentucky, so do they go as is? That would be a very uncomfortable feeling heading out on a 4* course filled with skinnies!

It was also interesting to read about MLM and Mr. Medicott. It really hammered home the "challenges" of the new FEI qualification system. It sounded like they really want to do a fall 4* (I am betting Pau?) so are just trying to work backwards to see how to get there. Because MLM is not highly categorized, she has to go back to the 2* level and the horse has to do a number of runs including a spring CIC**, CCI**, CIC***, and CCI*** (a trip to Poland) just to make it happen. Seems like a whole lot of money and miles to me.
    MLM has plenty of other upper level, including four star, horses to ride and get experience on. Correct me if I'm wrong but MLM also just took a horse to a CIC that she had never even schooled cross country on much less shown. The qualifications are made to slow down people who are in too much of a hurry.

The rider I feel bad for is Caitlin Silliman-Remi's 17 and they've looked great together but she's having to requalify with him. If they'd been able to go to Rolex this year as originally planned, they would have been my sleeper pick to be top 3 after xc.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I was too busy riding my horse to sit on COTH, discussing the Fork.
    Yes, it was BEAUTIFUL out! I check the scores later of riders I know to see how they did, otherwise not too concerned about it. If you want a Fork thread, start a Fork thread...

I think it's kind of odd to say that eventing is doomed (or something, I admit I haven't been following super closely so don't know who the doomsayers are and what they've been saying) because on a beautiful spring weekend a bunch of horse people weren't posting on COTH.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

6 members found this post helpful.

I enjoyed EN coverage but was mostly having fun riding my brand new horse on the first truly nice weekend of the year...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Followed online. Psyched at how well Caitlin (Remi) and Sally (Ideal Contini aka Taz) did. Caitlin jumped the Advanced fence last on the course instead of the CIC** after an otherwise perfect xc on Remi (she was pretty bummed, but very pleased with him). I was surprised at the early trouble on the CIC***, but it seemed to improve.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!