The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If SOs Were Horses ...

... what horse would yours be? (SO, DH, OH, et al.) ...

Just got to thinking about this when I couldn't sleep last night. One of my past SOs, comparing our compatibility to my current friendship ...

Former SO was a great trail horse (probably still is). Not always waiting for me at the pasture gate, but once out on the trail you could trust him to never stumble, never spook at a shadow or a deer, climb every mountain, and always find the way home. Definitely a ranch-trained QH.

Current not-quite-SO but definitely S and delightfully O -- not only comes to the pasture gate whenever I call but quite often comes right up to the house and calls me! Great on trails (you would trust this horse with your life), doesn't have a clue about dressage or trotting ground poles, but is very surefooted if a little headstrong. We do a lot more cantering than I did with my other "trail horse." Doesn't have a clue what "gaited" means so is probably a WB (a hot-blooded one!)
    Rack on!

1 members found this post helpful.

OK so my taste in horses has always been a lot better than my taste in men. If any of the men had every been as cool as Cloudy or Fireball.......well all did have the same studdiness as Cloudy does and Fireball did.

I never compared my male horses to my boyfriends but I did get a lesson in conformation from Robert Robold. I was dating a guy whose conformation was good except for thin calves and ankles. Robert just looked at me and said "you wouldn't buy a horse with that conformation, would you?" So now I look at men differently, thanks to Robert.

3 members found this post helpful.

I always try to compare people with their equine counterparts. It's a fun game to play during meetings. My DH is would be an agile, unflappable, cutting QH.

Normally, I'd say mine is a steady eddie type, but since we've taken custody of (his) niece and nephew, I'd say more like auction bound nag.

4 members found this post helpful.

My DH would be a pasture puff (complete with a Shetland's winter coat) cookie whore with the attitude of "Dear Murray." Now if only I could find an actual pony like that for DD.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought my OTTB because he reminded me of my husband. Same personality, same roman nose. They are both jumpers. Athletic, strong, opinionated and worth the effort.

It took me several years to figure out, but my TB and DH are like the same creature in two bodies. They think alike, act alike, respond to things alike, and when it comes down to it, kind of look alike.....both are tall, leggy, dark-haired, handsome, and blessed with the same metabolism and build relative to their species. Both are dependable beyond reason, have a killer work ethic, but a definite streak of....independence.

And the kicker? They hate each other. My husband hates that I compare the two of them, and I think my TB feels about the same

What I think is funny is that my heart mare is pretty much me in horse form. So I think it's funny that the horse I got after her is my husband's twin.

If I could have found a man who was like my horse, perhaps I would still be with him...

Habi was always happy to see me. He loved to go out. He got better with age and and we learned for each other. He had the best features of his ancestors - Arab spirit and intelligence, TB movement, Palomino gold. He would carry a youngster like an egg carefully moving under an unbalanced rider...but would be an exciting spirited ride for the experienced. He was generous giving his all even if you didn't ask. He was polite, patient, reliable and always took care of me in dicey situations. He was never jealous and always there to listen. He set a good example and commanded respect even in his declining yrs.

He was a delight to watch as he ran across the fields, even more fun to ride. He was an easy keeper, easy maintenence and adaptable. He was happy, uncomplaining and stoic. We were together for 31 1/2 yrs . He was my first horse... my heart horse...and I will always be Habihorsewoman.

5 members found this post helpful.

Well, DH is not like my horse. Horse is retarded and clumsy. Hubs is pretty smart, handy to have around. Couldn't tell you which one is hairier...

I'd have to say he'd be some sort of draft?? Tall, kinda heavy, hairy, strong. Very calm, stoic, rock-like. Willing to work with significant motivation. Prefers to drive.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Well, DH is not like my horse. Horse is retarded and clumsy. Hubs is pretty smart, handy to have around. Couldn't tell you which one is hairier...

I'd have to say he'd be some sort of draft?? Tall, kinda heavy, hairy, strong. Very calm, stoic, rock-like. Willing to work with significant motivation. Prefers to drive.
    My DH is about that, too. Except smaller. Think, um, one of those Gypsy Vanner horses. Hairy, cute but not good-looking, people-friendly, almost nothing "moves" him, patient, practical. (Good g-d, I'm married to a Gypsy Vanner??? Well, at least I know for sure that he doesn't fart butterflies....)

Oh heck, now that's got me thinking.... what kind of horse would *I* be?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Hmm... I'd say mine is an OTTB. Athletic, sometimes anxious, work-related injuries, tough, pretty . . .

Ummmm, well- I'd have a hard time comparing him to my horses who-if male- were gelded. He was quite the successful stud and never, ever strayed. Definitely my heart horse. I never wanted another when I could have him. When he went, he had to go. RIP, dear man.

7 members found this post helpful.

I often think my DH reminds me of our Ranch Bred QH. Steady like a rock, works till the job is done, the one you ALWAYS go to when you need comfort. Rules the herd with a firm fair hand, but doesn't take any poop from those bigger, faster, and (they think) meaner then him. Doesn't need to scream, squeal or even much move to get his way. One of those horses/men you keep forever. My Heart Man for sure!

One of my riding buddies just said that my mare Quinn reminds her of me. Hmmm. Short, hairy, cranky, but with lots of energy, and always ready to explore new trails. Quinn is quick to take offense if a gelding looks at her the wrong way, and also quick to establish her dominance over another mare. YIKES! I've become my horse...
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

WB I think, specifically Arab-Trak cross. Big, handsome, more reactive and sensitive than you'D expect. Charming to all but a 1-woman guy.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

If SO's were horses.... I'd be a polygamist

Sorry, couldn't resist!!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

TB or WB perhaps? Good solid temperament, great gaits (lol), solid work ethic. However if I thought of him as an Eventer, he wouldn't appreciate the dressage so much. It has to be reasonably fun or interesting or he can be a kick ride. Excellent ground manners, quick learner, super athletic, great conformation... Thank God he isn't a horse or I doubt I could afford him!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    Hmm... I'd say mine is an OTTB. Athletic, sometimes anxious, work-related injuries, tough, pretty . . .
    Mine too. Tall, lean, rangy, athletic, good looking, but intermittently lame and wound pretty tight/anxious. Lots of "try" too.

Leggy, patient, hard-working and best of all willing to take a joke. Yep my DH is definitely a TB. Definitely not a trail riding horse though, ring extraordinaire yes, willing to bond with nature not so much and oh lord his spooks (when he finally figures out he needs to) have a tendency to cause injury to all in radius.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Mine too. Tall, lean, rangy, athletic, good looking, but intermittently lame and wound pretty tight/anxious. Lots of "try" too.
    Yup I think it's the "try" that won me over!

Mine is a retired Grand Prix horse that has put on a lot of weight and is now packing some kid around the Children's Hunters. He's as unflappable as the day is long and sound as a dollar.