The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where was that "awful baby" thread?

'cause I read all about everyone's trials and tribulations, gloating, thinking about how awesome my baby TB is, because SHE would never be such a monster!

Well that changed.

I got to the barn the other day and was recruited to man a leadline pony on a trail ride. I figured I'd drag Baby TB along with me, to get out and about in the world for a change of scenery from the indoor. Now, mind you, she spent the entirety of her three year old year trail riding, and I would have felt comfortable putting an almost-beginner on her.

So I have Baby TB in one hand, and leadline trail pony in the other. Roads? No problem. Dirt bikes? Psh. Barking dogs? Who cares. Weird echoy concrete bridge? She just wanted to jump off it to go play in the water. (She LOVES water!) We even watched casually as our giant warmblood lead trail horse had a 10-minute melt down over a wooden gate, and then walked past it without even a sniff.

UNTIL we turned to go home and the wind was at our backs. Baby TB Lost. Her. Mind. I had to abandon leadline pony as she jigged/sidepassed/reared/bucked/panicked.

Why, you ask? Because the wind at her back was blowing her tail around her legs, and she Just. Couldn't. Handle. It. It blew her mind. All the other parties of the trail ride could see no other issues.

It wasn't even turning for home, because after the two minutes out in the field we reached a wooded area, the wind stopped, she sighed, gave a big giant dog shake, and resumed being a loose-leadroped dead-headed trail pony for the rest of the walk home.

Tiny girl on dead broke pony: "Don't you want her to be an eventer? How can she be afraid of wind?"
    Me: "-sigh- That's the plan...."

She is turning five in two months. Everyone assures me that six is the magic age for TBs. I'm not sure I can make it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Tiny girl on dead broke pony: "Don't you want her to be an eventer? How can she be afraid of wind?"
    Me: "-sigh- That's the plan...."
    The eternal question.

Hahaha! Thanks for the morning laughs

My mare could care less about plastic, farm equipmnt, water, ditches, banks, even wild turkeys... But rocks! Omg! They might eat her! Hehe. They're lunatics, horses are.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I always thought 7 was the magic age, but my 8 yr old TB (at his 1st event in 2yrs. this past weekend) told me it's 9....or ......10
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Default Wind+Baby=Hijinks

What is it about a little wind? I'm not talking gale force, but simply gusty, early April wind. Made my 4 year old mare, a kick-along type, act like an idiot.

With horses, there are no plans. Just aspirations!

COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by VAevent View Post
    What is it about a little wind? I'm not talking gale force, but simply gusty, early April wind. Made my 4 year old mare, a kick-along type, act like an idiot.
    It's that whole race the wind analogy we keep saying. For some reason they take us up on the offer at the most inopportune times!
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I always thought 7 was the magic age, but my 8 yr old TB (at his 1st event in 2yrs. this past weekend) told me it's 9....or ......10
    My 9 year old TB tells me not to expect much, he has no plans of growing up. I am riding frickin Peter Pan