The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Agree w/ Poltroon - the public schools on the Peninsula are, in general, great! It is a fairly wealthy area, high property tax funding, so many of the schools are "richer" then the average Cali district too.

As for boarding and turnout - because land is so expensive, you will probably struggle to find affordable boarding with turnout. Might be worth the commute to the stables to find your horse a better living situation. You might check out Wyvern in Martinez - they have turnout and an FEI trainer who has a good knowledge of rider biomechanics (Tracey Hill). I can think of a few places north of SF (Santa Rosa area), but south is a little tougher until you get out into Gilroy or Watsonville. So east (off the Peninsula) is another option.

Firstly let me say please excuse the typos etc. as I am dictating this into my iPad. I relocated to the bay area one year ago. It was extremely difficult to find a decent barn. After searching high and low everywhere (I was in the Santa Cruz area ) I finally decided on a trainer at the Woodside horse park And while I could not find a dressage trainer, I did find a Very good event trainer that has a good dressage trainer come in once or twice a week. That facility is nice many nice arenas and lots of room to roam. However the turnout is very sparse And most of the barns are temporary stalls and Pipe corrals.
    I recently moved having found a full-time dressage trainer in the Portola Valley. The facility, Glen Oaks, is quite nice with a couple of barns, some decent trails three arenas and just sand Turnout. I have been happy With both the facility and the trainer and all the people are super friendly. I also have a good friend who boards across the freeway at Portola Valley Equestrian center I believe it's called. There are a couple of good Hunter Jumper trainers there and a dressage trainer. The facility is lovely but there are no trails or space and very limited turn out. Let me know if you're interested in more information on any of those places.
    There was a beautiful facility north of Santa Cruz off of Highway 1, but I had visited and called several times and nobody ever would return my call. I can't remember the name off the top of my head however if you're interested I will look it up. Board and training has come out to approximately 2000 a month at all the facilities, and I had to ask specifically for Hay rather than cubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    Firstly let me say please excuse the typos etc. as I am dictating this into my iPad. I relocated to the bay area one year ago. It was extremely difficult to find a decent barn. After searching high and low everywhere (I was in the Santa Cruz area ) I finally decided on a trainer at the Woodside horse park And while I could not find a dressage trainer, I did find a Very good event trainer that has a good dressage trainer come in once or twice a week. That facility is nice many nice arenas and lots of room to roam. However the turnout is very sparse And most of the barns are temporary stalls and Pipe corrals.
    I recently moved having found a full-time dressage trainer in the Portola Valley. The facility, Glen Oaks, is quite nice with a couple of barns, some decent trails three arenas and just sand Turnout. I have been happy With both the facility and the trainer and all the people are super friendly. I also have a good friend who boards across the freeway at Portola Valley Equestrian center I believe it's called. There are a couple of good Hunter Jumper trainers there and a dressage trainer. The facility is lovely but there are no trails or space and very limited turn out. Let me know if you're interested in more information on any of those places.
    There was a beautiful facility north of Santa Cruz off of Highway 1, but I had visited and called several times and nobody ever would return my call. I can't remember the name off the top of my head however if you're interested I will look it up. Board and training has come out to approximately 2000 a month at all the facilities, and I had to ask specifically for Hay rather than cubes.
    Misti - thank you for the great info. My husband seems to like that whole Portola Valley area quite a bit and I've been finding some houses in that area as well (maybe Los Gatos or Saratoga?). Woodside and Portola Valley seem to be out of our price range, although we prefer that rural/suburban feel.

I thought I would save a little bit on training and board, but maybe not according to your $2k number. I pay more than that now, but train 4 days a week with my trainer at a topnotch facility. Right now I need that extra hand holding of many lessons/training rides a week as I (we) bring my horse along. She has the possibility of doing FEI level work, so I would like to find someone that has brought horses along to Grand Prix to work with.

We have some time, so I am sure I can make a few trips out there to visit some barns (oh, and go house shopping too, ha ha), meet trainers, maybe take a couple of lessons on schoolmasters to see where we fit. Ach! As if moving across country wasn't hard enough - horses make it even more complicated!

Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

If you decide to live in Los Gatos you might consider summit equestrian - Tracey Lert teaches there weekly. I live in the South Bay and have my horses in gilroy.

There aren't good boarding options in Saratoga. There are a few in woodside.

Lost of the options are in the east bay. Traffic is a huge issue if you work. For me it would be a solid 1-1/2 hrs in traffic if I boarded in the east bay. I just can't do that several nights a week. On the weekends or during non-commute hrs it would be like half an hour.

I would not try living in San Mateo and boarding in Santa Rosa unless you don't work and/or don't ride often- that would be like 2 hrs ea way without traffic.

All I will say is if you are working in San Mateo, you will want to live and keep your horse as close to San Mateo as possible! Unless of course you would be okay riding on the weekends. The traffic in that area is insane.