The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How much would you price/sell/buy this horse?

17 year old branded Holsteiner (but papers have been lost) 16.2 mare? Sound and sane, pretty much a packer. Jumps up to 3 feet. Super well schooled with county horse show experience.

I'm asking because I am thinking of putting in an offer on her. The seller claims she is 14 though but a search on USEF tells otherwise. USEF still doesn't tell breeding or exact birth date, so it would still be a mystery.

She is perfect for me but I am wondering how much her real age and no papers affect the current asking price on her.
    Last edited by horsietalk; Apr. 28, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

What's her real age?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

You cannot insure a 17 year old horse. What else is the seller lying about?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

2 members found this post helpful.

Mid to high four figures? Depends how long she's likely going to stay sound. Definitely get a PPE, perhaps with x-rays. Is she getting any maintenance now? You say she goes up to 3' now, but in a few years, will you be okay moving down levels? With a horse that old, I'd consider a lease, but I understand if that is not an option.

She isn't getting any maintenance. I'm okay going down a level if need be or turning her into my lower level dressage horse in a few years. I don't even really jump now so having a confidence builder like her to get back into jumping. Or possibly breeding her and keeping her foal to one day ride. I'm wondering how hard it would be to track down her registration since she is branded Holsteiner?

Her owner is a trainer that I actually work for. Funny enough she wouldn't be the second branded warmblood I'd be buying that has "lost" papers and age was off a few years. I didn't figure out his real age until after the purchase but I'd say I still feel he was worth it.

I would agree with toxicity. I would say mid four figures. And if she is getting maintenance that can be a bargaining chip to get the sellers to come down on price. I am in the process of selling my 16 year old thoroughbred gelding who can pack anyone 2'6" and under and he is priced in the low four figures. It really depends on the market there but with what I have been looking at horses similar to the mare you have described are mid four figures.

Good luck in your purchase
    Last edited by murphy28; Apr. 7, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Contact her registry about getting papers. It can be done, but might take some jumping through hoops. Keep in mind that you are going to have to breed her sooner rather than later, if that is what you want to do, so you need to figure out the papers or the odds of getting them sooner rather than later.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Just saying, a horse must be more sound to do low level dressage than low jumps.

Do you own horse property? If not, breeding and raising a foal is way more expensive than buying a baby. I think even if you do own horse property, it's more expensive to breed.

I am playing devil's advocate here, because you seem to be justifying buying an older horse for what's probably too much money (otherwise why lie about her age? Why the lost papers?) based on what you can do if the horse can only give you a few years of riding. More realistically, you will have a retiree on your hands in the near future.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

A packer is worth its weight in gold. 17 years old is getting up there, but still a pretty good age and low jumps should be no problem for this horse, I mean, look at Flexible, he is 17 and still jumping around 1.60 courses. I would say 10-12k but make sure you get an extensive vet check. Just because owners say horse receives no maintenance does not mean that the horse does not actually need maintenance. The fact that she is a good size, a WB, and still jumping around 3' courses add to her price in my opinion. Best of luck!

$10-12K with only COUNTY SHOW experience (per OP)? At age 17, that seems too high.

And I 2nd the question of what else is the seller either lying about or misinformed about if they took 3 years off her age?

Yes, a packer is worth their weight in gold but it's not like this horse is out there packing someone around at rated shows and getting ribbons.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative1 View Post
    A packer is worth its weight in gold. 17 years old is getting up there, but still a pretty good age and low jumps should be no problem for this horse, I mean, look at Flexible, he is 17 and still jumping around 1.60 courses. I would say 10-12k but make sure you get an extensive vet check. Just because owners say horse receives no maintenance does not mean that the horse does not actually need maintenance. The fact that she is a good size, a WB, and still jumping around 3' courses add to her price in my opinion. Best of luck!
    I second this. A WB, jumping 3', and a packer would be at least 20k around here, but her age would bump her down to 10-15k. A lot of very nice horses only have local show experience, mine did and he could easily win at the rated 3'.

3 members found this post helpful.

She is priced at 10k. I'd be comfortable paying 5k. I'm just wondering if this offer is way too low considering I know her real age? Plus I'd give her a forever home. I'm not a young kid who wants to move up one day. I'm fine riding flat or getting back into low jumping. I like that I can go on a trail ride with her and feel safe. Plus she is as sweet as can be. She'd be kept in the same barn and in training still. And she does have some rated show background but that was in 2009. She is doing county shows nowadays with advanced beginner riders and always wins blues if in a hunter class. Most of the kids want to ride her jumpers though and she is just not a speedy jumper.

Sent you a PM.

Perfect 10 I'm in Ga also and I agree almost. A perfect packer even at local shows that is branded and if they can get papers with a good PPE can go around 15k sometimes up to 20k. GA prices are crazy in some areas and the if you look at this same horse and it's a qh or tb take it down to 10k.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Unless they can produce papers, it's a grade horse as far as I'm concerned. (Or do holsteiners get branded?)

Lots of horses are "packers" if a trainer is riding them, or at heights of 2'6". Put someone who can't see distances on her and ride her over a 3' course to see if she is truly a packer.

At 17, I'm not sure this horse is even worth $5,000 - depends on actual soundness, not what they say.
    Last edited by altjaeger; Apr. 7, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

3 members found this post helpful.

Why don't you lease her?

I would love to but the barn owner doesn't want to lease her out. It's understandable as I only imagine older horses like her just get harder and harder to sell as time goes on.

I sent an email to the American Holsteiner association with her name to see of they can find info on her.
    Last edited by horsietalk; Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Just saying, a horse must be more sound to do low level dressage than low jumps.
    I absolutely disagree with this. Training level is far easier on a horse than jumping. 1st level is probably similar to 2'6".

OP - I would think around $5k depending on your area and would do a very thorough vetting. I would also seriously question buying from...and riding with...someone who will lie about a horse's age.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I also learned the hard way buying a horse and trusting the age they said. Ended up horse was 15 yrs older!! He looked great and worked great at 25 you'd never guess without looking at his teeth. Was just an amazing horse but I tested the wrong person and never checked until it was to late and the vets let me know what age he really was close to. I would have bought him anyways, loved the horse but probably would have nego more. Just make sure a ppe and have them check his teeth.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole