The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How Many Places Have You Boarded At?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love stability. 1-3

58 51.79%
  • I get around a bit. 4-6

28 25.00%
  • I love variety! 7-10

14 12.50%
  • On the road again! >10

12 10.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well a Boarding Gypsy sounds a lot better than the Crazy Horse Lady that's I've labeled myself as. LOL Over 15 years I've been at 10 places and a couple of those places I've gone back to depending on the horse that I had at the time and that horse's needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I think the poll is incredibly misleading if there is no way to state how many times in how many years.

For example, 10+ times isn't so bad if you've been boarding horses for 50+ years.
    Or if you move a lot for family/jobs. I've "only" been a horse owner for 16 years, but I've moved to different states 4 different times. Each time requires boarding at one or two places that I found online/via word of mouth that didn't work out in reality, so I'm over the 10 facilities mark. If I had stayed in any of these states, I would definitely still be boarding at my "final" boarding place in each state before I was forced to move again for work.

We leased a farm forever and when we lost the lease (80+ acres sold to developers) we had to find housing for more than a few horses. This was my first exposure to "yahoo horse care" and the result was that it took several facilities before we just bought and brought them home. Funny how what we thought was basic care was considered over the top. I always thought feeding hay & providing water were givens. Apparently at some boarding facilities, feeding & watering the horses/ponies is entirely optional

3 members found this post helpful.

Only one boarding barn in ~ 10 years.
    There is not much of a turn-over at this barn.
    My horse is a "Hare-Brained Controvert".

I've been at 8 different barns over the past 17+ years with 3 different horses. I would have stayed at the first barn for a long time if the owners hadn't sold the place. I followed a trainer to two barns with my young (at the time) horse, then when he moved out of state, my boy stayed there for about 4 years before it started going downhill (dealing with barn drama when living out of state is NOT fun!). Thankfully, I was able to get him out of there after talking to one of my former trainers (she had a place for him in her lesson/therapeutic riding program). He pretty much has a place for life there. The horse that's with me in MS now has been at the same place since I bought him last year. I don't plan on going anywhere because its such a wonderful place (small, private boarding barn) and its close to my house!

Around 10 boarding barns... but I have been in horses for 25 years now! Shortest around 6 months, longest around 5 years. Different horses, different trainers, different jobs require moves - then you have the two places that were sold while I was boarding there. Throw in one crazy BO...

I voted 3 which is the number of trainers I've boarded with since I started eventing again as an adult 18 years ago. On the other hand, one of those was the same trainer but 2 different barns and the other we were in 4 different places over the years. And, I didn't include different places during the winter when we go South
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Since I've been involved with horses for over 30 years, 10 isn't that bad...but I have had mine home for 16 years. Guess you could say it's hard to find a place that ticks all the boxes!

I have only ever ridden at or boarded at one barn with one trainer. I've been riding there for 13 years (since I first started to ride) and have boarded there for about 8 or so years since I got my first horse. I love it and never want to leave! The care, instruction, and facility are awesome, and my fellow boarders have become some of my best friends.

Does moving a horse to a training barn and back count?

I was at the same barn for almost 10 years, and then when I got my own horse moved to a place closer to home. Was there for a couple of years, then moved to a barn with a trainer, trainer moved so I followed, trainer decided to stop giving lessons/training so I moved to home. Recently moved to a barn with a group of ladies to get our horses ready for show season and use the indoor and will likely be moving back home shortly.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I am about to become a boarding gypsy. I boarded at the same place for the first 4 years I lived in KY but moved last year when I decided that I wanted the horses closer to my house. The new barn has an "interesting" BM to say the least, so I am on the hunt again after just a year there. That will be three in 5 years.

The poll also doesn't take into account how many horses you have/had.

I have no problem moving my horse if the barn/farm is not the right set up for my horse. I have moved a lot but most times I have been doing self care.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Same horse... have owned him for 7 1/2 years.

Barn (1) Was there a little over a year. Moved my horse in right after I bought him. BM/BO/T was one of my best friends and I had been taking lessons with her for awhile. My horse got hurt shortly after arriving and was on lay up the entire time he was there. Things went south with us. Partly because I was getting very frustrated that I couldn't get my horse sound again even after 3 visits to R&R. I had my ideas why and tried to get her on board with a few ideas after doing some research and suggestions from R&R. But she had a closed door policy (only her vet and farrier could be used) and I felt I needed a new farrier for my horse (as did the contact at R&R). So we parted ways and it wasn't pretty though I tried to be professional about it. There is much more to the story but will leave it at that. I learned a very big lesson at that barn.

Barn (2) Was there almost 2 1/2 years. Loved this barn. Current BM when I moved in was only there around 6 months. She had a falling out with the BO (huge PITA). Was very sad about that as it was one of the main reasons I moved there. But a new person took over and I learned a ton from her. Did my first eventing stuff with her. But she was getting ready to leave and go back to only running her barn (she was doing both) and it didn't look good for the future so I left. We parted on very good terms though.

Barn (3) Was only there for about 3 months. My horse coliced there and almost died. Not sure if it was negligence or what. But that's another story. Left on fine terms.

Barn (4) Only temporary for about 2 months. This was a rehab facility I sent him to once he was released from the hospital to recover from the colic surgery. Great place and would send him there again for a long layup if needed. She also does retirement so he has a place there when it's time if I want.

*Didn't want to take him back to Barn 3 because of colic issue so had to find a new barn while he was on rehab.

Barn (5) We were there about 2 1/2 years. Things seemed to be great for a long while but then the BM/T turned a little batshit crazy. And the farm was getting so crowded, etc. I was starting to look for a new place (she didn't know) when she sent me and one other boarder notice to vacate. We hadn't done anything wrong but she had decided to take her business in a more specific direction and neither of us fit that direction entirely. I left on good terms and still miss all the ladies I got to know there (though none of them are left anyways) but don't think it was good terms for the BM/T. *shrug*

Barn (6) Current barn, we have been here for a little over a year. LOVE IT!!!! I have known the BM for many years in the horse world and she takes immaculate care of the horses. It's a small private farm with only 4 boarders (myself, 2 other boarders who only have one horse also, and a guy who does polo and has 6 horses). The rest are hers (2 are broodmares, 2 are retired broodmares and 1 retired gelding). Only downside is that there isn't an indoor and with fewer boarders, I'm alone quite a bit. But I've adjusted. I never plan on leaving. If I want, I can retire my guy with her if I don't take him back to the retirement place.

So all in all, I don't really "hop" around per se. I've always wanted to plant my roots and stay somewhere. But things change. So you never know.
    Last edited by LSM1212; Apr. 9, 2013 at 02:43 PM.

About 10 barns in 20+ years, with 4 horses, but a lot of those moves were short term (such as, winter boarding at an indoor, or when my regular BO was going away and I had to find a different barn for a few months).
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!