The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How Many Places Have You Boarded At?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love stability. 1-3

58 51.79%
  • I get around a bit. 4-6

28 25.00%
  • I love variety! 7-10

14 12.50%
  • On the road again! >10

12 10.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poll: Are You a Boarding Gypsy?

How many places have you boarded at since you have been involved with horses?
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I think the poll is incredibly misleading if there is no way to state how many times in how many years.

For example, 10+ times isn't so bad if you've been boarding horses for 50+ years.

I have had horses for nine years, most of them at home, but have boarded for short stints (winters) at three different barns. Would have been just two, but one closed down and I had to find an alternative.

2 members found this post helpful.

We've boarded at the same boarding barn for over 20 years, through 3 different ownerships.

I said 7 - 10, but that's over the course of 40 years and oncludes broodmare and baby pastures.

I agree with G for G, the poll is not much use. I keep my horses at home but have boarded the old guy alone once for a month and the pony along with the old guy once, for three months over the winter, for a total of two occasions at the same farm.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

since i started with horses in 1985--> to now, of course there were more than 10. but the main reason in the past 15 yrs is b/c i have been looking for trails. the loss of trails has been a major issue for me. I have been at my current barn for 4+ yrs and i plan to stay. it is wonderful there and we have immediate access to the state park with 18+ miles of trails. i don't see myself leaving any time soon.

I've moved mine 4 times in the 5 years I have owned her, but 3 of the 4 moves were in the first 4 months I had her, and all were because I was helping a friend. In retrospect, if we'd just stayed at Barn A, things might have gone better, but I was "subleasing" my friend's stall for 3-4 weeks until she needed it for her horse. Then we swapped places and my horse went to the boarding barn she owns, Barn B, and then one more swap from that barn to Barn C, her backyard barn (which was ideal for my horse, but not for me.) We ended up back at Barn A when it became apparent that my horse needed more training. I was there for just over a year and moved to current barn where the horse has lived for the past 3 1/2 years plus.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

We'll I've moved around a LOT, different states and different cities, especially working at the racetrack, where you have to move every few months. I'd probably still be a boarding gypsy though, since I've rarely ever found a barn that was worth staying at. I love where my horse is now but we'll be moving again in a few months so fingers crossed the barns will be decent there too. At least my guy is a good mover. He's so used to it by now lol.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

And it does not account for following your trainer to a different barn. I was with one trainer for 10 years and boarded at 5 different barns as I followed him whenever he moved (never was he kicked out, but good opportunities came around or barns closed down)

1 members found this post helpful.

6 in twenty something years. I would not say that I get around. The last place was a 5 year stint, and the one before that 7. Both of those places changed culture as the business grew and the changes simply didn't fit my needs any more.

I was once at one place for less than six months, but it was after an emergency midwinter move out of a place that wasn't providing proper care. I found a better option in the spring and moved again.

Followed my trainer through a number of barns, but horse has always been under her care except for one 6 month stint where she didn't have a barn. She still came, did lessons, and advised the BO (new to the business). Been about 14-15 years.
    Last edited by flowersmom2; Apr. 7, 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add number of years

Lets see...in 15 years (same horse this entire time):

First barn: Crazy BO, we stayed 4 months.

Second barn: Nice barn, we stayed 3 years, until the BM extorted money from a client and left in the middle of the night when he found out the police would be paying a call (and he had warrants from...prior legal issues). That lead to an emergency exit to:

Third barn: Very nice show barn, but expensive. We stayed 3 months/over the summer until we could find another closer, cheaper place. Everyone involved knew it was temporary.

Fourth barn: Okay barn, good care, we stayed 6 months. Then found out that the reason the lower pasture (where my mare was turned out) was always wet and kind of swampy was because the lateral lines to the septic system were in that field. And leaking. So there was sewage in the pasture, and the owner had no intention of fixing. That lead to swift exit to:

Fifth barn: Nice barn, good BO. We stayed 4 years, until BO turned it into a TB breeding operation, started foaling out 50+ mares a year, and filled the indoor arena with a bazillion stalls to house the overflow horses. Mutual agreement that a move would be best.

Sixth barn: Nice barn, good BO. We stayed 4 years. Then turnout became less and less, I moved, and wanted to find someplace closer to my house with lots of turnout, since Miss Mare is basically retired at this point.

Finally, Seventh barn: Great, good BO, totally private. 1 1/2 years and counting so far.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have had my horse for less than a year and do full training board, but I can't imagine moving him unless I moved somewhere else, couldn't afford my stable anymore, or if he could no longer handle a full workload/needed full day turnout.

I will have had my horse for five years in June. During that time have moved him once, about 4 years ago. Old barn was too far away from the house I bought and turnout was not good (out 12 hours but only in a small pipe corrall when it became apparent he couldn't be out in a mixed herd). I can't imagine leaving current barn, I love almost everything about it. Hope nothing changes!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I thought it said "Are you boarding a Gypsy?" (as in vanner)

I love stability, but I have moved around a lot, so have been at a lot of barns in a lot of cities.

I rarely move barns once I'm "in" because I'm fairly sure of what I want and won't board at a place that doesn't suit me.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

When I first started owning horses, a lot of the barns in NJ were getting sold to developers. Of the first 7 barns I boarded at 5 of them were sold 3 of those to developers and the other 2 to non-horse people. I've run my own place for awhile, then took a management opportunity out of state. When I came back, it wasn't long before I retired one horse and bought my current horse. Since I've had him I've had to move several times because a lot of places can not handle a sport horse of his size. I hate moving, but I haven't been so lucky with barns being sold.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I thought it said "Are you boarding a Gypsy?" (as in vanner)

I love stability, but I have moved around a lot, so have been at a lot of barns in a lot of cities.

I rarely move barns once I'm "in" because I'm fairly sure of what I want and won't board at a place that doesn't suit me.
    HAHA I was just about to post "am I the only one who though the poll was asking who's boarded a Gypsy?"

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

5 times in about 15 years. 3 of those were due to simply moving out of the area.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

In 13 years I've boarded at five different barns. I've only left one barn for another one in the area once; all other moves were dictated by my location changing (transferring colleges, graduating, etc).
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

11 in 15 years - 4 of those were only 1 month stays. There are a lot of crazy BOs!

4 members found this post helpful.