The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite moisture wicking/mesh shirts??

Hot weather will be here soon (if winter will ever leave!)... what are your recommendations for good t-shirts/polos that are of the mesh/moisture-wicking/quick dry variety and that wont break the bank? Best brands or websites to search?

Thanks!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

For functional, inexpensive clothing I shop sierratradingpost.com

Any polyester/wicking clothing will work. Their return policy is very accommodating so if something doesn't fit right it just costs a few bucks to return it.

I love the Ovation Dri-Lex polo shirts.

I got mine really cheap from Riders 4 helmets - they were selling them for $15 with their logo on. Then they ran a two-for-one sale, so they're sold out now.

But if you look on Amazon, you can get them there for $29.95.

I found some wicking breathable athletic shirts at Walmart this spring for $5. They are surprisingly nice for the cost, and they even had some neutral colors (I can't do neon!)

Sun Precautions shirts, any of them, but particularly the Safari Shirt or anything similar (and there are quite a few these days). Got got got to have the sun protection, and these types of shirts are actually "cold" when you start to sweat and a breeze hits it. I LIVE in these from mid-May or so, to mid-late Sept.

Wore my Romph show shirt today made of wicking material with mesh under the arms. Completely ventilated and cool. Loved it!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I got some Champion tech shirts from Target last summer that fit well. THe price was <20$.

I also rec Sierra Trading Post. Always look for a free shipping or discount code. Great deals.

For daily training, I love the tech stuff from Wallmart - inexpensive, and cool. Ts and tanks with a colorful bra underneath. I also sometimes wear exercise-type tanks with the shelf bra built in - .
    For showing, I have a fishing shirt from Dick's that is wonderful. I also have some golf shirts that I love. (I hate cotton - these are all poly) One has a zipper and mock turtle, so I can wear the stock tie more easily.... found them at TJMaxx just last week.
    We had a show yesterday here in Ocala, and a friend was wearing one of those new FITS shirts with the mesh panels. Not too transparent, VERY vented - looked wonderful. (My trainer has the FITS show coat with the mesh panels - you cannot tell it is mesh, and it is really cool!)

I don't like the way hi tech materials feel, so I go with 100% cotton. Available everyware, no ordering no shipping. Nothing beats cotton in the swamp IMO.

I've become quickly addicted to the Nike Dri-Fit shirts, I wear them at the gym, barn, daily life, etc. Love em.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nothing beats cotton in the swamp IMO
    it gets soggy and doesn't dry, and the layer of soggy fabric blocks your sweat from evaporating so you can't cool yourself. It's the worst choice possible. The sweat-wicking materials suck the sweat off you up to the surface of the material to evaporate quickly, cooling you while keeping you dry.
    Many of the newer sweat-wicking clothing feels and looks just like cotton.

3 members found this post helpful.

I go to Ross or TJ Maxx or Sports Authority and buy their cheap or on sale ($8-$15) shirts and polos in wicking material. Brands like Nike, Puma, and other expensive brands for way cheap. They are my main source.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    it gets soggy and doesn't dry, and the layer of soggy fabric blocks your sweat from evaporating so you can't cool yourself. It's the worst choice possible. The sweat-wicking materials suck the sweat off you up to the surface of the material to evaporate quickly, cooling you while keeping you dry.
    Many of the newer sweat-wicking clothing feels and looks just like cotton.
    VERY true about cotton. In fact, in mountain hiking areas, cotton is called a killer fabric - you get wet, you stay wet, and then you get cold. Here in humid FL, you just get wet and hot as no evaporation occurs!

2 members found this post helpful.

I found some wicking breathable athletic shirts at Walmart this spring for $5. They are surprisingly nice for the cost, and they even had some neutral colors (I can't do neon!)

In the men's or women's dept? What is the brand name pls

Soffe Dri-Release! They are lightweight, breathable, and inexpensive. Love them!

http://sportsapparel.soffe.com/search?w=dri

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post

In the men's or women's dept? What is the brand name pls
    Women's dept. I think they said "Dri-more", brand Danskin maybe?

I love the Nike DriFit golf shirts for summer. Whenever I find them at Ross I buy them, usually for about 1/4 of what they normally sell for. They are nice enough (in neutral colors) to wear to a show. I like REI's wicking t-shirts and thermals (for cooler weather) as well.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Saucony running shirts, long sleeve pull over. They usually run around $60, but are worth it.

Love Running gear for riding. Usually has features like elliptical hems, little pockets for storing things, thumb holes to keep sleeves down, and stitching that prevents rubs. A lot of the "horsey" brands seem to favor short torsos/short arms, and as the sizes go up, the lengths don't. Running gear tends to assume that bigger sizes are worn by taller people...not just fatter short or average-height people.

I bought one of the high-visibility orange pullovers two years ago. I ride in it OFTEN. It is moisture-wicking, dries out super fast in the rain, offers slight wind resistance...I have been comfy wearing it in temperatures from 10C up to 35C+. Love the long sleeves for bug shielding and sun protection. I layer a merino wool shirt underneath for colder temperatures...my wool shirts are $12 from Costco.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior