The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hematoma on my horses knee in need of advice

Hey y'all I've got a problem. About a month ago I took one horse out to ride and left the other in. Of course the one that stayed in was running around and calling like crazy. I was saddling and I heard a loud bang as she was running and calling which sounded like she ran into a wall. They've got a large wood box as a feeder and also a wood shelter. The next morning her knee was the size of a grapefruit. I was worried about the swelling. I wrapped it but it didn't help much plus it was super hard to keep on since it was the knee. Started doing cold hydrotherapy. Didn't help much. Did DMSO. Didn't help much. Started doing pultis and cold hydrotherapy. That helped a little. But her skin did get a little irritated from pultis. I looked online to get some advice help and it seems that most say to leave it alone itll reabsorbe after a while. It's been almost 2 months. I've left it alone about three weeks. It's still about half the size about the size of my fist. It's on the front of her knee and kinda wraps down to the inside. It feels like a water balloon. I'm worried about the fluid sitting in the knee like that. I don't know if any damage could be done. She's not been lame tho. Since its been almost 2 months should I have it drained or should I let it be and go away on its own? I haven't been riding her cuz of it and we're missing out on our barrel season. Is it a bad idea to leave fluid in the knee like that? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's a hematoma? It sounds more like a ruptured joint capsule. Get the vet out to drain and check the fluid.

What did the vet say?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

CALL THE VET OUT.

1 members found this post helpful.

And OP, if you don't know how to wrap a knee, especially with a pressure wrap...DON'T.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Call your vet. The likely suspects are hematoma, blown ECR (extensor carpi radialis) tendon, joint capsule rupture, or slab fracture. You need to know which one you're looking at to treat -- those options have vastly different rehab programs.

Thanks guys. I'm definately calling the vet first thing Monday morning. I should've already but I can't really afford it so thats why I haven't. I was hoping it would absorb but I'm starting to worry it needs to be drained.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks again for the insight. It really does help.

my mare whacked her knee good once and ended up with a large egg sized lump. Took her to the vet twice, had it drained each time, and it came back each time. It was full of a sticky, yellow tinted fluid. She also wasn't lame at all. Vet said, leave it alone, it'll go away after a while, but he did say it would be a while. He said, it'll just disappear.

So for about a year she had that, maybe more. Was never lame, just looked funny, and we'd get comments, people thought she must be injured/lame, but nothing I could do about the lump.

Sure enough, one day it just started disappearing, and within a month was totally gone.

Very very strange.

My mare has the same thing. I asked my vet if he could drain it. He said it was better to leave it alone because often when they are drained they just fill up again and then you have an incision, opportunity for infection, tubes, etc. instead of just an unsightly swelling. I don't remember exactly everything he said, but my understanding was that it would never go away. Now that I am reading this thread, it occurs to me that I might have misunderstood the vet. Maybe he meant that draining it was useless because in addition to the reasons I just mentioned, the injury will eventually resolve itself.

It's been a long time, over a year (I can't even remember when it happened because it has been so long) since the injury and I haven't noticed it shrinking much. It may have, just a little, but the swelling is definitely still noticeable.